Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

I stopped reading on page 27 and ow there are double that many pages to catch up on...yikes! I know that the ship will be in NYC on the 10th...right? What time of day is it expected to show up? I cannot imagine they would slink in under the dark of the night, would they?

ETA at Cape Liberty is still 6am. My friend works there and she said yesterday that it is still listed as 6am. So I plan on being at the bridge at 5 to welcome her Monday.:cool:

Pics of E1 cabin for those who asked.

Scott, in relation to 6658, as I look over it. My guess is that you are 100% clear looking straight out at the ocean, and pretty much clear out to the left with the exception of a small vessel that may impact a tiny bit. Looking to the right you have a lifeboat which blocks view that direction, or you may get able to see slightly over it. So, obstruction wise, it wouldn't bother me, plenty of ocean to look at!

Thanks for posting this- I realize there is no sofa in this room and that is a must have for us when we cruise...

Good morning, All!

We are rocking and rolling a bit this morning again, so we'll see what the day brings activity and weather-wise.

I awoke to a nice surprise. Checked my account on the Royal iQ app and they have refunded the price of the internet package! I saw a report on FB from another cruiser who has the same. As you all know, we were excited to be able to share lots of photos with you and that has proved challenging. I never once complained even though I did feel a bit disappointed when I found out we wouldn't be in the O3B service for this sailing. So it was confirmation to me that once again Royal is going above and beyond.

Ripcord by iFly. So. Much. Fun!!! I booked a second time for today since I enjoyed it so much. Although weather might be an issue. The wind was so strong last night that the upper decks were closed. For Ripcord, I will say that all ages, genders, sizes and shapes were participating and enjoying it. Those that seemed more successful at it had better mobility. You've got to have the mobility to bring your hands and arms forward in a curve over your head and hold them there against that strong wind current. The instructor will help you and hold you as best they can, but if you can't hold your arms and legs out, you'll wind up on your back or crashing into the sides. We had one gentleman in my group the just couldn't keep his arms out and not only wound up on his back, but started to fly out the door and hit his head. Helmets are a beautiful thing. He said he was fine and not injured, but the staff took him down to medical anyway.

Injuries... I know of a dislocated shoulder and a broken collar bone from the Flowrider. I've also seen at least 3 broken arms from roller skating. A staff member told another CC cruiser that they will be taking a hard look at the roller skating. So I'm not sure what changes they will make, if any, but that seems like something to be thinking about before folks decide to participate.

Northstar was flying yesterday and the queue was quite long. I've heard wait times from 2.5 to 4 hours. But it was a nice, sunny day. standing about can get tedious, but at least there was sunshine and fresh air. I could see it going up and out from my lovely deck chair in the Solarium. That is a very nice, relaxing space. The hot tubs are cool and have a nice view. I can see myself back in there today.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Originally Posted by Mrs Cigar King View Post

I would appreciate it is someone forced themselves to go to Chic and taste the Carrot Cake Trifle. Tell me if it's as delicious as it sounds.

We'll give you a third opinion if needed in Jan :D

I so appreciate that Chris! It's gotten pretty easy to skip the deserts but the Quantum offers such a nice selection I might not be able to avoid them any more.

Ripcord by iFly. So. Much. Fun!!! I booked a second time for today since I enjoyed it so much.

Hi Tracy, Are you being charged for your second ripcord reservation? I heard the first minute is free, but they were planning on charging $49.95 for an additional two minutes. How much time do you have to spend getting instructions, before you get suited up and head into the wind tunnel?

Thanks for posting your experiences on the Quantum!!! :)

-Sarah

Live onboard the INCREDIBLE Quantum. I haven't seen any fold up maps for the ship yet.

I have a fold out map of Quantum, but have not seen them since day 2. They may have been pulled as they are titled, "WOW, Introducing the World's First Smartship, Quantum of the Seas"

With the stress on all the functioning technology, they might have decided that they were not currently appropriate.

I was happy to see the WIFI refund overnight. I had not complained about anything onboard, but am happy to see them be pro-active on this issue.

Hi Tracy, Are you being charged for your second ripcord reservation? I heard the first minute is free, but they were planning on charging $49.95 for an additional two minutes. How much time do you have to spend getting instructions, before you get suited up and head into the wind tunnel?

-Sarah

A few days ago, they posted that the second one is also free. Only restriction is that you can't book another one until after you do the first one.

-Sarah

I have heard different things about being charged for the second ride. I will be quite interested to see if they charge me for it when I show up for my appointment this afternoon. I'll let you know!

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Currently (and most definitely never in the past) is there a commercial cruise ship in the water with the type and scale of technology & design that this ship has. The straight lines and, for lack of a better word, boxy environments are completely non-existent!

This whole post is an excellent description of the ship:D...thanks to your writing, I could envision the major areas of the ship and what makes them different from other ships! I appreciate everyone's balanced reporting on the glitches, I think when you sail an inaugural you expect that. I do hope they do reservations for North Star going forward. We have been waiting for these reports to even consider this ship, so hearing the overall experience is good and about the innovative design is helpful! Thanks for reporting.

One of the biggest mysteries is the lack of reporting on SeaPlex - including photos of course.

With all the room taken up by this area on the ship, and all the pre-cruise promotion, very little has actually been reported (from numbers of passengers).

Surprising to some degree.

-Sarah

Only the first flight is free. Subsequent flights are $49 for 2 minutes. The instructional video was about 5-10 minutes. They talk to you for a few more minutes to make sure you understand the hand gestures. Then they give you a suit, helmet and earplugs. Maybe about 20 minutes prep time. This was a blast. I really love the Ifly and so did my 7yr old.

Wondering if the "always available" menu items like steak/chicken breast are offered in any of the Quantum's restaurants.

Well, American icon restaurant has a flank steak which I've heard was good, but seriously, if you can, have the 16oz dry aged steak in chops grille, pricey but I'm still dreaming of it. If you really like steak you have to go for this. (18$ on top of $35 cover. But it was that good.

following this LIVE! from the QUANTUM thread. many thanks to all the Reporters!

also following the Web Cam at Cape Liberty - it's stunning how fast the construction has proceeded. this morning, imho, they are going to be ready for your return. very much anticipating our first real look at the QUANTUM (hoping the Web Cam is directed to give us the best view).

we are organizing our lives for our 12/12 embarkation.

Thank you for the many reports about Everything - we have gotten many fine tips that will help us make OurCruise a WOW for us.

RCI is fortunate to have you :D

One of the biggest mysteries is the lack of reporting on SeaPlex - including photos of course.

With all the room taken up by this area on the ship, and all the pre-cruise promotion, very little has actually been reported (from numbers of passengers).

Surprising to some degree.

SeaPlex is great! It's where circus school takes place, roller skating, bumper cars, soccer, dodgeball, 3 on 3 and lots of other activities. There are ping pong tables, I think I saw fooseball tables & definitely an xbox gaming center. I have taken a ton of photos but I don't plan to load any until I return home.