Manicure question

I can't believe it myself but, I have never had a real manicure! I like my nails looking nice but, I rarely paint them, etc. I am a teacher and have 3 kids so I am constantly washing my hands and the polish seems to come off so fast! I hate having to constantly touch them up. For my next cruise, however, I want to get a manicure and have french tips done (so it will match everything). My question is, how long before the trip should I have it done? I want it to last--we are going on a 3 night weekend cruise. When you have them "done" does it last longer than if I painted them myself? I don't want acrylic nails as I don't want to have to keep up with them frequently. Any advice?

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

French manicures don't seem to last as long as regular ones...maybe it's just me, but that's been my experience. I would get my manicure as close to sailing as possible. I find a professional manicure is neater and does last a bit longer than if I do it myself. Maybe have the professionals use your own polish, so you have the same bottle to do little touch-ups, b/c the pool and ocean water tend to promote chipping faster than usual.

Home Lines Atlantic 7/88; Cunard Countess 6/89; Costa Rivera 6/90; Explorer of the Seas 8/02; Adventure of the Sea 8/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till the Carnival Miracle

Wantacruise,

I agree with Valentina. Professional manicures last longer than when one does it on their own. I also agree that people who do the french manicures seem to have problems with it chipping.

Personally, I don't like the look of a french manicure.... so early 90's, but I use a white polish on my hands so I don't have to worry so much about chipping. I use the color "Waltz" which I find in every manicure salon.

Bring along some quick-drying clear polish with you and put on a coat every other day. This will also keep it from chipping and "washing off fast".

You should have it done as close to your cruise as your schedule allows.

Jane

I agree with the other two girls posts above mine. icon_wink.gif Definately take the clear coat polish along, especially since you will be in the sun and exposed to the salt water.

More importantly, icon_cool.gif have a fantastic time!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Also, it depends on the polish used. OPI and Loreal shock proof nail polish seem to last much longer than any other nail polishes I use.

Keep in mind, clorine and salt water are very hard on your nails and your polish will mostly likely chip right after you swim in either.

Thanks for the replies and the advice. Gosh, now I wonder if I would just be better off "doing" them myself. I don't want to have them look yucky after the first day. icon_frown.gif That's why I don't do much with them normally. Call me lazy! LOL icon_smile.gif

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

Wantacruise,

The price that the ships charge for a manicure is obscene, in my opinion. However, on a long cruise, sometimes I get a "change of polish" in the spa. It's usually about half the price of a regular manicure.

Jane

Don't do them yourself! Having your nails done at a salon lasts sooooo much longer! I always have OPI nail polish put on...it seems to last so much longer, and every nail salon I have been to carries OPI. They have some beautiful light colors. Last year, I had my nails done a few days before my cruise, in an OPI color I can't remember the name of...put it was a very light beige, very subtle but pretty! And the best part...it was a 7 day cruise, and I had no chips or anything at all...it lasted the whole cruise with no problem. And I went swimming ALOT. I did put on clear top coat every few days..that really seems to help.

Believe me, if you do them yourself (especially if you are not experienced in doing it) they will NOT look as good, as you are more apt to have problems!

If you are really worried, buy the same OPI nail color that you have them use at the salon (you have to buy it AT the salon) and bring some cutex handi-wipe type nail polish remover packets (available at drugstores) plus your clear top coat with you. If you have any problems you can touch up your nails yourself.

Having nice nails really makes me feel more ...dare I say it...polished....and prettier!

I say go to a salon, I think you will be happier if you do!

*******Proud member of O.A.T.C.******

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

6/12/04 2nd Anniversary on The Carnival Miracle

inlove.gif

6/2003 Carnival Legend

1st Anniversary

inlove.gif

6/2002 Celebrity Mercury

Honeymoon

Of course, one must HAVE nails to worry about a manicure lasting. Since my nails tend to break, I just use the Revelon 10-day stuff in a light color and it last fairly well. I take it with me for touch-ups.

Kathy

Last Cruise -- Maasdam - E. Carrib - 11/03

Next Cruise -- Volendam - Eastfarer - 12/04

Archived