Fancy afternoon tea on Nieuw Amsterdam

jf606

Please don't go to tea expecting it will be a high tea, or you will be sorely disappointed.

Afternoon tea is a low tea. You will be served small (cold) sandwiches, and pastries. But there won't be the substantial hot dishes that a high tea would have.

It is lovely, though. And there are some delicious treats.

I do enjoy a good cup of tea.

• 2 weeks later...

Thumbs down FRAUD: Fields & Selects Firsttea Gourmet international from Singapore

Hal has chosen for a new tea, it's a bad choice. This company from Singapore made an illegal copy of a Dutch tea brand (original first tea). The former director of Original First Tea is convicted in the Netherlands and started a new company in Singapore.

They say that the tea is organic, but it is not. DON'T DRINK IT and complain about it. I have a friend in China who told me about this. Hal is buying this tea, because it is cheap but they don't test the product or research the company and people behind it.

The actual tea was presented in the lg. box with assorted bags. Then hot water was poured into your cup. I did see some people with a carafe of hot water on the table.

If anyone thinks that HAL is still a Dutch line, this is proof that it is now American. ;) Is it possible to get a decent cuppa on HAL? How is tea served at meals in the dining room? I recall silver teapots on the SS Rotterdam.

Just when I was going to comment on the term "high tea" I saw the posting by Ruth and others. Thanks for clarifying the difference between "high tea" and "tea" or "afternoon tea." Many - if not most - experienced travel writers, who should know better, refer to all afternoon tea as "high tea." Almost every article about the Empress Hotel in Victoria claims they serve high tea, which they most certainly do not. Mind you, it is a splendid, albeit overpriced, experience. It is often claimed that high tea is served on Cunard liners, even in the Queen's Grill Lounge. But I've never seen anyone disappointed in not getting bangers and mash or bubble and squeak along with their fresh scones and clotted cream.

"High Tea" has evolved even in the birthplace of high tea - England. It is accepted to be the scones, cream, jam, petit-fours, cakes and little sandwiches, along with hot tea. I had a yummy such high tea last time I was there in the tea shoppe across from Bath cathedral, and again in Cheddar. And then there is "Cream tea" which is also much of the above but with real clotted cream. (I put on weight every time I visit.:eek:)

In my day, in working-class England, "tea" was the main meal of the day. It was never referred to as high tea. But it must be remembered that for such a small island, there are many differences in tradition and references. For instance, what is true in the north is often unheard of in the south, and vice versa. Even in the next county which could be just down the road, things can be different. A very confusing place even for those of us who grew up there.;)

Thumbs down FRAUD: Fields & Selects Firsttea Gourmet international from Singapore

Hal has chosen for a new tea, it's a bad choice. This company from Singapore made an illegal copy of a Dutch tea brand (original first tea). The former director of Original First Tea is convicted in the Netherlands and started a new company in Singapore.

They say that the tea is organic, but it is not. DON'T DRINK IT and complain about it. I have a friend in China who told me about this. Hal is buying this tea, because it is cheap but they don't test the product or research the company and people behind it.

You must feel very strongly about this. I see you posted the same info on the Celebrity board.

If anyone thinks that HAL is still a Dutch line, this is proof that it is now American. ;) Is it possible to get a decent cuppa on HAL?.

The USA had an official tea taster from its early days until about 1993 - may have been the first agency (albeit one man) cut by the Clinton administration.

I found the basic HAL teabag more than satisfactory, although a bit smoky-tasting. The 3pm "teas" are nice for a quality tea that I don't often treat myself to. The atmosphere can depend somewhat on how attendees are attired (sometimes a bit too casual).

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

If anyone thinks that HAL is still a Dutch line, this is proof that it is now American. ;) Is it possible to get a decent cuppa on HAL? How is tea served at meals in the dining room? I recall silver teapots on the SS Rotterdam.

Just when I was going to comment on the term "high tea" I saw the posting by Ruth and others. Thanks for clarifying the difference between "high tea" and "tea" or "afternoon tea." Many - if not most - experienced travel writers, who should know better, refer to all afternoon tea as "high tea." Almost every article about the Empress Hotel in Victoria claims they serve high tea, which they most certainly do not. Mind you, it is a splendid, albeit overpriced, experience. It is often claimed that high tea is served on Cunard liners, even in the Queen's Grill Lounge. But I've never seen anyone disappointed in not getting bangers and mash or bubble and squeak along with their fresh scones and clotted cream.

pretty hard to get a decent cuppa anywhere in the U.S. They have pg tips on board and the hot water is pretty darn hot. I drink about 5 to 6 cups a day.