MDR on Prt Days

jak378

We are booked on the Regal the first full week of December. I have seen some posts here about what days the MDR is open for lunch. I am getting the impression that it is closed on most port days. Is that correct. Having been on too many Caribbean cruises to count we are not at all interested in exploring the scheduled ports. There is a certain sameness to them and we have been at each more than once.

Is the MDR now closed on most port days? That would be a disappointment, but wouldn't ruin the cruise for us. I don't remember it being closed previously on port days.

Edited by jak378

I have found most cruise ships are closed for lunch on port days. The only exception I found was when I was in Ensenada and they were actually open, but I think that is because so many people do not get off the ship and this was also Carnival. I too wish they were open, but if not I order a yummy club sandwich from room service. Have a great cruise.

Candi

We are booked on the Regal the first full week of December. I have seen some posts here about what days the MDR is open for lunch. I am getting the impression that it is closed on most port days. Is that correct. Having been on too many Caribbean cruises to count we are not at all interested in exploring the scheduled ports. There is a certain sameness to them and we have been at each more than once.

Is the MDR now closed on most port days? That would be a disappointment, but wouldn't ruin the cruise for us. I don't remember it being closed previously on port days.

Alfredo's and the International Cafe will be open...

As noted, the MDR will be closed. That said, the buffet on the Royal (and thus the Regal) plus Alfredos provide such an improved set of options over the other ships that it is nowhere near as big an issue as on those.

Seriously, the Royal buffet was so superior to those on the other ships as to not be in the same zip code, let alone ballpark.

As noted, the MDR will be closed. That said, the buffet on the Royal (and thus the Regal) plus Alfredos provide such an improved set of options over the other ships that it is nowhere near as big an issue as on those.

Seriously, the Royal buffet was so superior to those on the other ships as to not be in the same zip code, let alone ballpark.

What made it so much better than any of the the other buffets?

The main dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day and sea days. It is generally closed on port days, but it is not always closed for lunch on port days.

It is open on port days if they anticipate the need for the dining room due to the estimated number of passengers that will be eating lunch on the ship. On days when the ship is arriving or leaving from a port at around midday, the dining room may be open. The dining room may also be open in a port where a lot of passengers do not get off the ship.

On my recent cruise, the dining room was open the day we ported in Ensenada even though we were in port all day. Many passengers did not get off the ship in Ensenada. On other cruises, the dining room was open when we arrived/departed San Francisco midday. If you like eating lunch in the dining room, then always check the Patter to see if they are serving there even on port days.