Question about Blue Hole

jyt822

With news reports of 60% of Jamaicans being infected with chikungunya virus from mosquito bites...I'm very worried. Can anyone tell me how bad the mosquites are in November?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jamaica is under a state of emergency. Mosquitoes are there all year. It has been a mystery to me why so many people are cruising to the islands and going on other kinds of Caribbean vacations. Jamaica is the worse hit, but every other island is affected and the cases are growing every day. We'd had reservations on a much-looked-forward cruise in January, but we cancelled back in August when we saw how bad things were getting. If you're over 65, I urge you to check with your doctor-- it's what the CDC recommends.

I wish that someone would post something on the general Caribbean board. The disease is a very nasty one.

With news reports of 60% of Jamaicans being infected with chikungunya virus from mosquito bites...I'm very worried. Can anyone tell me how bad the mosquites are in November?

Just to clarify, there are some predictions that up to 60% of Jamaicans might get CHIKV, but 60% aren't currently infected.

I think that previous poster is mistaken.

In any case, Wednesday is the day each week that the CDC puts out new numbers for the disease in the various trouble spots. Anyone interested can do his/her own research. The disease is a serious one.

I am so saddened by the continuing spread of this disease. The Caribbean islands are among our favorite places in the world to visit. For the first time in decades we will not be enjoying our annual "snorkeling fix." And hoping deeply that our state of Florida will not continue to increase its cases. And hoping, too, for the best for all peoples of the Caribbean and the travelers who love it as we do.

The country of Jamaica has declared a "state of emergency" and chikungunya is "epidemic" there. Check out the country's own government statistics and notices, and check out CDC statistics as well.

Or pay attention to folks who claim that mosquitoes are "not bad at all."

In any case, hundreds/thousands of people are continuing to visit Jamaica and some of the other hardest-hit areas. I only hope that everyone is doing so in full knowledge of actual facts.

I also hope that we'll be back to visiting those wonderful islands soon!