not happy with room assignment

butterflycruise

The good news about guarantee (GTY) is that it's cheaper. The bad news is you may get a room you're not happy with. It's the chance you take.

Depending on how full the cruise is, you might be able to make a move to the same category without any cost to you, but that's doubtful. The cost usually goes up the closer you get to cruise time.

If you want to go up a category, the cost will definitely be more.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about noise. The midship elevators can have a lot of traffic throughout the day, and at dinner time, and you'd probably hear kids or people, if they're speaking REALLY loudly. But the rooms are well insulated, and it really shouldn't be a problem, especially by bedtime.

I agree w/ Loonbeam. You can certainly ask, but don't expect anything. This is the idea of a guarantee. Avoid booking guarantees if there is any cabin in that category or a higher category that you don't want. Keep in mind that in a way, the less desirable a stateroom the more likely it is to go to a guarantee booker. If cabin 1234 is near elevators and under a dance floor, people are unlikely to intentionally pick that room, so it is likely to go to a guarantee.

All that in mind, as mentioned, you can certainly ask. You may want to check back just before sailing (but after you've boarded) in case space opens up from no-shows.

I agree w/ Loonbeam. You can certainly ask, but don't expect anything. This is the idea of a guarantee. Avoid booking guarantees if there is any cabin in that category or a higher category that you don't want. Keep in mind that in a way, the less desirable a stateroom the more likely it is to go to a guarantee booker. If cabin 1234 is near elevators and under a dance floor, people are unlikely to intentionally pick that room, so it is likely to go to a guarantee.

All that in mind, as mentioned, you can certainly ask. You may want to check back just before sailing (but after you've boarded) in case space opens up from no-shows.

Any room changes/upgrades are handled in the terminal before boarding. Any changes made onboard are generally only done if someone has a problem with a room (plumbing, electrical, whatever).

I agree, however, a guarantee booking means that you will accept any room in that category (or higher). I've only read where people with guarantee bookings, that didn't like their rooms, were only able to upgrade to specific rooms (for additional cost), and not just switch to another room in the assigned category.

It might help us to know what cabin you are in, but to be a bit reassuring, I've been in the cabin nearest to the elevators at least twice and didn't really have any issues. The soundproofing is pretty good.

Unless you want to pay more for an "upgrade," my suggestion would be to try the room. If there is an issue, take that to the people at GS. There are always a few rooms saved for cabins with problems/issues even if they claim that it is a full ship. You might be pleasantly surprised that the room has far less noise than you fear.

I've been behind the elevators with a 4-year old and no noise at all. You certainly can pay for an upgrade, if any upgrades are available. Also, you can see if there are any available rooms in your current category. As others have said, you book a guarantee, you're taking a risk, usually for a lower fare.

I've been behind the elevators with a 4-year old and no noise at all. You certainly can pay for an upgrade, if any upgrades are available. Also, you can see if there are any available rooms in your current category. As others have said, you book a guarantee, you're taking a risk, usually for a lower fare.

DH has mobility issues so we always book near the elevators. We have not had any problems with elevator noise.

GTY are not reduced fares, only that at the time there is no room to assign but you do pay regular rates.

DH has mobility issues so we always book near the elevators. We have not had any problems with elevator noise.

GTY are not reduced fares, only that at the time there is no room to assign but you do pay regular rates.

Correct GTY rates are not reduced. However, we don't really know what sort of guarantee room the OP has. Many people use the term "guarantee" interchangeably (GTY vs. *GT) and just respond, figuring that the guarantee room is a discounted rate.

Correct GTY rates are not reduced. However, we don't really know what sort of guarantee room the OP has. Many people use the term "guarantee" interchangeably (GTY vs. *GT) and just respond, figuring that the guarantee room is a discounted rate.

Shmoo, please explain the difference between GTY and *GT for the OP and others.

ex techie

GTY is offered when a certain percentage of a given category is sold. There is always a category attached. You can book a 9GTY or a 6GTY for example. These may be offered at any time. There is no price reduction. You can be assigned any cabin of your category or nicer. You typically find out your room assignment at 30-45 days before embarkation. This CAN be combined with an onboard booking.

*GT (IGT/OGT/VGT) is a special restricted rate offered when DCL is not booking up the ship as soon as they'd like to. It is generally available after the penalty period, but I have seen rare instances where it was available earlier. You choose your cabin type (inside, oceanview, verandah) but not your category or cabin. DCL can put you in any cabin of your type or nicer on the entire ship. You CAN upgrade at the port, in which case you are charged at the lowest level in your type. Example--if you booked an OGT, you will be charged as an upgrade from a cat 9 regardless of what your actual assignment is. You typically find out your assignment 14-21 days before embarkation. This type of fare has many restrictions attached--read the fine print before you book. You get a large price reduction and if it works for you, can be a super deal. Cannot be combined with any other Disney offers.

On my upcoming Magic cruise, the "GT" rates are greatly reduced. Past the penalty period, full payment required, etc. But they are greatly reduced. So some guarantees do come with reduced fares.

GTY is offered when a certain percentage of a given category is sold. There is always a category attached. You can book a 9GTY or a 6GTY for example. These may be offered at any time. There is no price reduction. You can be assigned any cabin of your category or nicer. You typically find out your room assignment at 30-45 days before embarkation. This CAN be combined with an onboard booking.

*GT (IGT/OGT/VGT) is a special restricted rate offered when DCL is not booking up the ship as soon as they'd like to. It is generally available after the penalty period' date=' but I have seen rare instances where it was available earlier. You choose your cabin type (inside, oceanview, verandah) but not your category or cabin. DCL can put you in any cabin of your type or nicer on the entire ship. You CAN upgrade at the port, in which case you are charged at the lowest level in your type. Example--if you booked an OGT, you will be charged as an upgrade from a cat 9 regardless of what your actual assignment is. You typically find out your assignment 14-21 days before embarkation. This type of fare has many restrictions attached--read the fine print before you book. You get a large price reduction and if it works for you, can be a super deal. Cannot be combined with any other Disney offers.[/quote']

On my upcoming Magic cruise, the "GT" rates are greatly reduced. Past the penalty period, full payment required, etc. But they are greatly reduced. So some guarantees do come with reduced fares.

As explained, there is a big difference in booking category for GTY vs IGT, OGT and VGT rates.

I'm guessing as butterflycruise visited the site yesterday the day after her post, and still hasn't replied, she is still looking over the T's and C's of the cruise agreement and sorry to have booked a GTY.

Hope she finds a solution.

ex techie

Hee hee...

The solution is that if you care about your room location, don't book using a type of booking that doesn't allow you to choose!

If you do a booking that allows DCL to place you on the ship anywhere they choose within certain limits (category or type of cabin), then you lose the right to complain about location.

Hee hee...

The solution is that if you care about your room location' date=' don't book using a type of booking that doesn't allow you to choose!

If you do a booking that allows DCL to place you on the ship anywhere they choose within certain limits (category or type of cabin), then you lose the right to complain about location.[/quote']

I'm very picky about where my cabin's located so I totally agree with you. I usually book my cruises at least a year out to get some savings and I always book a cabin toward the back third of the ship with the following considerations: two decks of regular cabins above and below me, not right next to elevators and not next to any laundry or other services.

This usually gives me a quiet cabin, but you can't prevent the annoyance of people constantly going out and coming in from their balconies or cabin and letting the door slam. Also, kids screaming or crying and jumping from the beds to the floor isn't fun if your in the cabin next store. I've had quiet neighbors and painful ones, but at least I can pick the cabin that isolates me from the dining room, pool, theater and generic foot traffic noise. Also, I find this location causes the least motion sickness with my family.

It all about choices, but although cost and personal preferences come in to play, in many cases it's just plain luck that will ultimately determine whether you end up in a cabin that you are totally satisfied with for your cruise.

*GT (IGT/OGT/VGT) is a special restricted rate offered when DCL is not booking up the ship as soon as they'd like to. It is generally available after the penalty period' date=' but I have seen rare instances where it was available earlier. You choose your cabin type (inside, oceanview, verandah) but not your category or cabin. DCL can put you in any cabin of your type or nicer on the entire ship. You CAN upgrade at the port, in which case you are charged at the lowest level in your type. Example--if you booked an OGT, you will be charged as an upgrade from a cat 9 regardless of what your actual assignment is. You typically find out your assignment 14-21 days before embarkation. This type of fare has many restrictions attached--read the fine print before you book. You get a large price reduction and if it works for you, can be a super deal. Cannot be combined with any other Disney offers.[/quote']

Thanks for the explanation!

ex techie