First Time Celebrity Cruiser

Guest USC Traveler

Guest USC Traveler

This will be my first Celebrity cruise and I have a few questions. Thank you in advance for your advice and replies.

1. what is the cost of the specialty restaurant once on board?

2. is it worth it to purchase a 3 dinner package if my first choice is decided for

me by Celebrity and not to my liking?

3. can you pre-book specialty restaurants before the cruise and do you have to

pay for it at that time?

4. do you have to pay for shore excursions if you book them before the cruise

begins? princess allows you to book them but you don't pay until you've

taken the excursion.

This will be my first Celebrity cruise and I have a few questions. Thank you in advance for your advice and replies.

1. what is the cost of the specialty restaurant once on board?

2. is it worth it to purchase a 3 dinner package if my first choice is decided for

me by Celebrity and not to my liking?

3. can you pre-book specialty restaurants before the cruise and do you have to

pay for it at that time?

4. do you have to pay for shore excursions if you book them before the cruise

begins? princess allows you to book them but you don't pay until you've

taken the excursion.

Hi USC TRAVELER,

Welcome to Celebrity

Overall... YES if you order something from Celebrity (either online or by phone) you pay when you book... Goes on your credit card

Q1 & Q3 - Take a look at Celebrity's Website and the Restaurants & Cafes Pg in the Onboard Experiences section... It lists all the various dining options (differs depending on the ship). Individual Restaurant Pgs will give info on which ships, dress code, menus, costs etc. Pricing ranges from $ 5 US per person to $ 50 US

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants

Q2 - Personal choice depending how you wish to dine (many like Celebrity's regular Dining Rooms... Blu for Aqua Class and MDR for everyone else)

Celebrity does tho offer a variety of Pkgs that can be bought beforehand or aboard (onboard SPECIALS are also often marketed). You can buy 1 Meal or groupings... Even an Ultimate Pkg for a flat daily rate.

If have a Specialty Dining Reservation is important to you for a particular night (ie Special Occasion) then best to prebook / buy ahead

Q4 - Shore Excursions for your cruise can be found on the Celebrity Website when you log into your MY CELEBRITY account... And go to the Manage My Reservation area. As stated you pay when you book

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Guest USC Traveler

Sloop-John B,

Thank you for your advice and answers. I went to the link you provided and found the costs of the restaurants. If I decide on a restaurant package, I'd prefer to buy it on board and use my obc to pay at that time.

I'm booked in aqua class right now but I'm not really sure the benefits are worth it for me. I may change to a concierge cabin.

Sloop-John B,

Thank you for your advice and answers. I went to the link you provided and found the costs of the restaurants. If I decide on a restaurant package, I'd prefer to buy it on board and use my obc to pay at that time.

I'm booked in aqua class right now but I'm not really sure the benefits are worth it for me. I may change to a concierge cabin.

Aquas get all that Concierge offers & more

The main diff between Concierge & Aqua is the Blu DR, which is for Aqua Class Pax only

Blu specializes in "clean / healthier" cuisine

Many claim that Blu is much better than the MDR, and on the same level as the Specialty Restaurants

I cannot say, as I am only sailing in my first Aqua cabin in December.

Other perks for Aqua is priority access to The Spa (Spa Concierge) and The Persian Gardens... And the cabin's fancier multi jet shower and complimentary Bottled Water & Ice Teas

We are going to give Aqua a look see cause we found a deal (Aquas lower priced than C1s when we were booking)

But up until now we have been very pleased with Concierge... C2s midship on S-Class Ships & C1s aft sunsets on M-Class Ships (both with oversized balconies)

So have no qualms going back to Concierge if Aqua doesn't suit us... Or looking to save a few bucks

For us it is not so much about the perks (but we do like them) as it is about our cabin and location

Lol, actually we are very flexible... We have decided if the price is right we could upgrade to Aqua in the future... Or if not, downgrade to a 1A Veranda as many of them have also got great locations on the ship... In which case we might consider splurging on more Specialty Dining meals

If you have OBC buying Specialty Dining onboard could be a good idea... As long as you do it early (E-Day) or are not too fussy about Dining Times

Cheers!

Guest USC Traveler

Sloop-John B,

Would you mind telling which C-2 cabin you had with the extra large balcony? I usually get a cabin with extra large balcony on princess so I know how nice they are to have.

It was on The Solstice an S-Class Ship (Solstice - Equinox - Eclipse - Silhouette - Reflection). These ships have a swervey side, vs straight. The bigger balconies on the sides are the ones on the angles on and off "the hump" (midship) and "the bump" (aft).

We had a C2 midship on the angle to "the hump"... 1020, first off the hump. The largest angled balcony (goes first off, third off, then second and fourth... Largest to smallest)

If you look at a Deck Plan you will see that Solstice 1020 is midship right on "the point" widest spot... Means you can see both fore & aft the majority of the ship (cause of the swerves no one can actually see the whole side... But anywhere on the hump itself has the widest viewpoint)

We LOVED our cabin. Great views... Out, up, down, fore & aft. It was in Suitesville, midship just steps to the Atrium Elevators. Would definitely book it again.

--- --- ---

On the M-Class Ships (Millennium - Infinity - Summit - Constellation) we have fallen in love with the C1s which are Aft Sunsets... Again with oversized balconies.

Cheers!

Ps... I see you are booked in on the Equinox... The Aquas on that ship are on Deck 11 and tucked in under the rafters / overhang from the Pool Deck (shady balcony & can have noise from above). Although it means giving up Blu (which is a Beautiful venue and has many fans) I might indeed consider it if you could get a well located midship oversized Balcony in a C2 Concierge (has extra perks too) or a 1A (standard same sized cabin & balconey as a C2, but no extra perks)

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Guest USC Traveler

Sloop-John B,

I've checked the deck plans for the equinox and the solstice and they are similar if not exactly the same. cabin 1020 looks to be a regular C2 cabin. Are you sure you weren't in 1044, 1046, 1075 or 1077? those look to be on the hump. or how about 1120, 1122, 1124 or 1125?

Sloop-John B,

I've checked the deck plans for the equinox and the solstice and they are similar if not exactly the same. cabin 1020 looks to be a regular C2 cabin. Are you sure you weren't in 1044, 1046, 1075 or 1077? those look to be on the hump. or how about 1120, 1122, 1124 or 1125?

Oops, sorry typo. It was 1120.

Right next to the Royal Suite.

Like I said, absolutely fabulous.

First off the hump on the angle... HUGE balcony for an S-Class Non Suite Cabin

--- --- ---

As for Deck Plans (in case you are consulting the S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY)

All 5 of the S-Class Ships have basically the same footprint... The first 3 ships are pretty much identical. They made some changes on The Silhouete and more on The Reflection (they are also a tad bigger)

Cabin numbers may not match same locations on all ships. So check / work with Deck Plans

That said, cabins in the same physical Locations regardless of their numbers should have the same pros & cons (except for a few on Reflection where there is a change on the very top decks layout)

So work with Deck Plans, the Cabin Spreadsheet... And be sure to always check what is above & below you too

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Guest USC Traveler

John-B,

Yes, cabin 1120 looks great to me. i sure wish it was an aqua, but the cabin and balcony are more important to me than the restaurant. I love great views!

And yes, the first thing I always to is check above and below decks. I've used the S Class spread sheet and it's fabulous. Thanks for all your help. I'm glad its so far out from the cruise so that I can have almost any cabin I want now. The only thing that really interests me about aqua is the shower!!!! It sounds great. Please let me know or do a review of the aqua cabin after your cruise next month, ok? Where are you going?

John-B,

Yes, cabin 1120 looks great to me. i sure wish it was an aqua, but the cabin and balcony are more important to me than the restaurant. I love great views!

And yes, the first thing I always to is check above and below decks. I've used the S Class spread sheet and it's fabulous. Thanks for all your help. I'm glad its so far out from the cruise so that I can have almost any cabin I want now. The only thing that really interests me about aqua is the shower!!!! It sounds great. Please let me know or do a review of the aqua cabin after your cruise next month, ok? Where are you going?

Showers - on the S-Class Ships all the Showers are by Hansgrohe (I believe). At Concierge Class they have variable showerhead flows (as I remember) and at Aqua Class they add in the body spray jets

I have heard some say that the water pressure for the jets was less than they hoped for. We shall see.

Will certainly do a very extensive Trip Report after our cruise (I am a Researcher by trade, so a bit of a detail nut).

I saw your countdown clock, you have over a years lead time. Which is good... A lot can happen in 18 months. You have pick of the cabins now, so take advantage. As well you will probably watch prices rise substantially. Always happens to us when we book way in advance. (Summit 2013 Cruise we booked a year in advance when we were on The Solstice... Remember we got a C1 Aft Sunset all deals in for about $ 850 US Each... At Sailaway same cabin was $ 1200)

Sweet

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Guest USC Traveler

John-B,

I called celebrity while I was walking my dog this morning to inquire about cabin availability. Sure enough, 1140 was already sold. They do have 1124 and 1126 available and the cabins like these on the port side of the ship are all booked. I guess these are the prized concierge class cabins. So I guess 1124 has a smaller balcony than 1140 but still a decent size and 1126 would have a smaller balcony than 1124 but still larger than a standard cabin, am I right? So, now comes the big decision. Do I take 1124 or go back to deck 11 and book the aqua cabin number 1664? The price between the two is negligible to me right now. Maybe $200 more for aqua which isn't much. Aqua cabin 1664 is as far aft on deck 11 as the aqua cabins go and there are rooms above and below so there shouldn't be noise from the pool area which is much more forward.

By the way, where do you live in Canada? I lived in Toronto for a few years in the 70s and then lived in Seattle and spent lots of time in Vancouver and Victoria. I am a landed immigrant but it's been so many years since I left there, I'm sure my status has changed. It's a great country.

Guest USC Traveler

John-B,

I did find some aqua cabins in the bump out on deck 11 however, they are forward of the bump out and would be underneath the pool area on deck 12. I don't think I would like that because the noise from people and noise from moving deck furniture would be too disruptive.

So, my choices are a C2 on deck 10 (1124/1126) or on deck 11 in an aqua cabin number 1650. I guess the larger balcony is nice but so is the aqua cabin. I'll have to give this lots of thought.

If you have OBC buying Specialty Dining onboard could be a good idea... As long as you do it early (E-Day) or are not too fussy about Dining Times

Cheers!

I already purchased the 4 dinner specialty dining package, but it only let me pick the dining time for the first night I want to use the package (and it says that they pick which restaurant it is). Is there some way to book the remaining reservations ahead of time, or do we have to wait until we board?

Equinox...

# 1124 = Is a Concierge C2 Cabin, 3rd on the angle off the aft side of "the hump" midship Starboard side. It will have the 2nd largest balcony in this class (goes 1st off, 3rd off, 2nd off, 4th off). It is a 2 person cabin (no keyed elements one the Deck Plans) so the bed will be near the balcony.

# 1126 = is a Concierge C2 Cabin, 4th on the angle off the aft side of "the hump" midship Starboard side. It will have the smallest of the oversized balconies in this class. It is a cabin keyed for multiple persons showing a Square ( Square = convertible sofa bed) so the bed will be by the bath.

# 1664 = is a Concierge C2 Cabin at the very back of the ship, Starboard side. It will have a standard sized balcony. It is a 2 person cabin (no keyed elements on the Deck Plans) so the bed will be near the balcony.

# 1650 = is an Aqua A2 Cabin Starboard side, sort of 1/2 way down the side between midship & aft. All Aqua Class Cabins are for 2 people. The nearest keyed cabin on the deckplans is # 1654, as the layout in the standard cabins (non suites) alternate... Cabin 1650 will have the bed by the bath.

Personally...

Of this lot I would choose # 1124 as my first choice (Concierge C2 Midship with an oversized Balcony) followed by # 1650 as my second (Aqua A2)

And that is solely based on location.

1126 is nicely located too... But has a balcony just a tad bit bigger than the norm... So not as much real estate as 1124.

1664 is too far out in right field to be anything special (far aft, but not over the wake... And a long way from the elevators. Plus if there is any rough seas / movement you are going to really feel it back there). Things i would be willing to trade off against a nice view... But so far back stuck in the corner is not such a spot.

So it is going to come down to your budget, and what is important to you in regards to Class & Perks. Blu vs MDR

Unfortunately, I cannot really help you out here, cause we are awaiting our first aqua class cruise ourselves (December).

As for Port vs Starboard in the Caribbean (or most cruises for that matter) I don't think it matters a whole lot cause you will spend most of your time on open water. And you cannot predict the ports... Even if you know the Pier ahead of time, you cannot always be sure if the ship is going to be parked nose first, or tail first, or which side if a two sided pier etc.

As you know we were in Solstice # 1120 for our Caribbean Cruise (San Juan - Sint Maarten - St Thomas) and Starboard was great... No complaints.

Hope this helps (some)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Guest USC Traveler

John-B,

You are a great help and I really appreciate all your advice. Now I've gone to the website cruise compete .com and put in cruise information. I've received around 6 responses to my request and the prices vary for the A2 cabin from arounr $3300 to $3900 with all sorts of OBC and extras It's amazing what's out there but the only problem is who do you trust? Have you ever priced cruises using this website? It's really interesting.

Thank you again for all you patience with my questions. I am leaning towards the A2 cabin 1650. I really like C2 cabin 1124 too but I think I'd like to try the Aqua class since the pricing is almost identical. It's really between a balcony and Blu, isn't it?

Edited by USC Traveler

FYI .. Your post may be edited cause you "named Names"... We are not allowed to dothat here on CC for Trave Agents / Travel Cos

As I said the difference between Concierge & Aqua is often minimal (in fact not uncommon for Aqua with more perks to be priced less than Concierge, just depends where the demand is... Demand drives prices... More demand = higher prices)

Honestly at this point it comes down to your budget, and what you want out of your holiday

Cheers!

Guest USC Traveler

John-B,

Yes, I thought about that after I sent you the email. I'll probably get slapped or banned for eternity from cruise critic. But, seriously, you should give that site a try just to see what comes back. I have a good, not fabulous, online TA and she does give me great discounts on Princess. That's the line she primarily sells but she's not that big with Celebrity. I think each agency finds their niche and goes with it by booking blocks of cabins on certain cruises and then they can offer better prices. What do you use or do you book directly with the cruise line?

You're right, in the end it comes down to budget and I can afford either type of cabin. But, I'm leaning towards Aqua for now.

Where are you located in Canada? Are you doing the eastern caribbean cruise in december? When do you leave? Which aqua cabin did you book?

I already purchased the 4 dinner specialty dining package, but it only let me pick the dining time for the first night I want to use the package (and it says that they pick which restaurant it is). Is there some way to book the remaining reservations ahead of time, or do we have to wait until we board?

IMHO I would cancel and book each individually and YOU choose the venue and time (subject to availability when you book). You will pay at this time and once aboard purchase the relevant package, retaining your reservations and getting a full refund of the pre-bookings back to your seapass account.

If I decide on a restaurant package, I'd prefer to buy it on board and use my obc to pay at that time.

Another option to consider is choose the cheaper cabin and purchase the Ultimate Dining package when you get aboard (extra $29/pp per day) that allows you dine in any specialty restaurant every night of the cruise.

Guest USC Traveler

ok, i'm all set. i booked the cruise today for an A2 cabin. and the travel agent i used saved me $553 over all the other agency prices! can't go wrong with that kind of savings. the agent doesn't give any obc but i still get the 123 obc from celebrity so that will help with gratuities, etc.