Tell me about Liberty

michtrif

We are just off Explorer last week.. LOVED the ship (hated going to Canada... I digress)

So we want to book Liberty in February out of FLL since we never made it to somewhere warm.

We are new to cruising on RC, but we are hoping to be regulars sooner than later.

What can you tell me about Liberty? It's bigger than Explorer? (We thought EX was the perfect size.) Has it been drydocked recently? Can anyone give me the lowdown?

We are just off Explorer last week.. LOVED the ship (hated going to Canada... I digress)

So we want to book Liberty in February out of FLL since we never made it to somewhere warm.

As a Canadian, and true to our very polite nature, please let me be the first to offer a sincere apology on behalf of my entire country for not being able to provide you the warm location you appear to have been looking for.

We feel that we have let you down. Not that we can control the weather, but historically (and yes, we do have records - we are kinda stubborn that way), most parts of Canada are fairly cool in late October. The blame should be squarely placed on the Canadian people for not getting our brand out there into the marketplace accurately enough. This shortcoming is clearly evidenced by your expectation of "somewhere warm". For this, we are sorry.

You see, Canada is actually north (UP on a northern hemisphere map) from your starting location. And Mother Nature, being a cruel woman, is nothing if not a traditionalist. She continues to send the cooler weather our way - usually around the beginning of September(ish). She does this every year without fail (as far as our records show, anyways).

So, you have the right idea of looking SOUTH for a warmer place. I think this trip to Canada has educated you on the correlation between Latitude and Climate. I think Jimmy Buffet explains it best in his song "Changes in Latitude - Changes in Attitude". Sadly, in your case, the shift in Latitude caused a similarly cold shift in attitude. I would argue that Mr. Buffet's song is correction by extrapolation. We're just sorry that you had to experience it first hand.

Again, we are sorry.

We hope you at least had a chance to grab a Timmy's double-double and a Maple Dip Donut -almost guaranteed to bring a smile to even the most shocked visitor's demeanor.

As a Canadian, and true to our very polite nature, please let me be the first to offer a sincere apology on behalf of my entire country for not being able to provide you the warm location you appear to have been looking for.

We feel that we have let you down. Not that we can control the weather, but historically (and yes, we do have records - we are kinda stubborn that way), most parts of Canada are fairly cool in late October. The blame should be squarely placed on the Canadian people for not getting our brand out there into the marketplace accurately enough. This shortcoming is clearly evidenced by your expectation of "somewhere warm". For this, we are sorry.

You see, Canada is actually north (UP on a northern hemisphere map) from your starting location. And Mother Nature, being a cruel woman, is nothing if not a traditionalist. She continues to send the cooler weather our way - usually around the beginning of September(ish). She does this every year without fail (as far as our records show, anyways).

So, you have the right idea of looking SOUTH for a warmer place. I think this trip to Canada has educated you on the correlation between Latitude and Climate. I think Jimmy Buffet explains it best in his song "Changes in Latitude - Changes in Attitude". Sadly, in your case, the shift in Latitude caused a similarly cold shift in attitude. I would argue that Mr. Buffet's song is correction by extrapolation. We're just sorry that you had to experience it first hand.

Again, we are sorry.

We hope you at least had a chance to grab a Timmy's double-double and a Maple Dip Donut -almost guaranteed to bring a smile to even the most shocked visitor's demeanor.

I probably should have disclosed that we ended up in Canada not by choice, but because we were unable to get to Bermuda because of the hurricane.

The Canadian ppl we encountered were very nice. The ports we called (Nova Scotia and St. John) seemed to be at the end of season for tourists. Manhood the shops and restaurants were closed. It was bitter cold in Nova Scotia and sooo windy. Not at the fault of anyone but Mother Nature, but since we manned to be in Bermuda it seemed to annoy us more than usual.

We only had less than half a day at each port, which also contributed to our lack of 'finding stuff to do.'

No disrespect to Canada or its people. But please understand our dilemma.

I haven't been on Liberty yet, but we are booked on 2/9/15 sailing.

I have been on her sister ship Freeedom of the Seas. Also have been on Voyager, Explorer, Navigator, Radiance and Oasis.

Freedom was my favorite. (Although Alaska was our favorite destination)

Liberty has a bigger Promanade. There is an ice rink and. Rock walls.

Liberty has Flow riders. - Lots of fun to do, but also fun to watch.

Liberty also has the broadway show "Saturday Night Fever"

You will have a great time.

Lynn

I probably should have disclosed that we ended up in Canada not by choice, but because we were unable to get to Bermuda because of the hurricane.

The Canadian ppl we encountered were very nice. The ports we called (Nova Scotia and St. John) seemed to be at the end of season for tourists. Manhood the shops and restaurants were closed. It was bitter cold in Nova Scotia and sooo windy. Not at the fault of anyone but Mother Nature, but since we manned to be in Bermuda it seemed to annoy us more than usual.

We only had less than half a day at each port, which also contributed to our lack of 'finding stuff to do.'

No disrespect to Canada or its people. But please understand our dilemma.

Oh!! In that case...

Yeah, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick suck! We've been trying to annex them from Canada for YEARS now. I'd never go there either. You're right.. it's the wind... Hopefully it wasn't a Nor'Eastern - even residents hate themselves for living there when THOSE hit.

:cool:;):D

Oh!! In that case...

Yeah, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick suck! We've been trying to annex them from Canada for YEARS now. I'd never go there either. You're right.. it's the wind... Hopefully it wasn't a Nor'Eastern - even residents hate themselves for living there when THOSE hit.

:cool:;):D

yep. Nor'Easter. The people of Nova Scotia *were* in fact apologetic that the weather was the coldest and windiest it has been in a very long time.

Surely if Canada was my planned destination, I would have enjoyed myself much more.

Oh and I DID make it to Tim Horton's (free wifi!) and experienced the BEST pumpkin Latte I have ever had. I tried to get another in St. John, but it paled in comparison the the first one I had.

We also found an amazing pub in St. John, which ended up being the highlight of the Canadian part of our trip.

So looking back, my original post should have read "Loved Explorer, hated {that we ended up going to} Canada {instead of Bermuda}

:D;)

I haven't been on Liberty yet, but we are booked on 2/9/15 sailing.

I have been on her sister ship Freeedom of the Seas. Also have been on Voyager, Explorer, Navigator, Radiance and Oasis.

Freedom was my favorite. (Although Alaska was our favorite destination)

Liberty has a bigger Promanade. There is an ice rink and. Rock walls.

Liberty has Flow riders. - Lots of fun to do, but also fun to watch.

Liberty also has the broadway show "Saturday Night Fever"

You will have a great time.

Lynn

We are hoping to be on the same 2/9/15 sailing. I LOVE the promenade- it's my favorite part of the ship.

Explorer had a ice rink and rock walls as well. The ice show was amazing! I didn't get to skate myself, And we didn't attempt the rock wall since it was so cold and windy. In fact we spent very little time on the outside parts of the ship at all. The shows were amazing too. Saturday Night Fever sounds awesome!

We are big fans of Liberty and have sailed on this elegant ship several times over the life of the ship and will soon again this December.

Liberty is bigger and newer than Explorer. One of our favorite things about LIberty is the show "Saturday Night Fever." If you go be sure to stay until the very end. I see people rushing out when they think the show is over, but there is a wonderful all-star cast song and dance number that is fabulous.

Liberty also has an ice show that is excellent and a fun Boleros Lounge when the band is playing. It is much quieter if the band isn't there. There is a very large lounge at the end of the Prominade that has a good dance band some nights too. Bands do vary in quality from cruise-to-cruise. It's hard to know what you are going to get before you board.

I don't do the FlowRider but I really enjoy watching the antics there. It is fun to watch folks climb the rock wall. Kids seem to be the fastest for some reason.

Chops Restaurant is a favorite for some folks, but we always preferred Portofino. That has a new name now and a different menu. I don't like it so much now, but maybe it has improved.

Liberty is bigger than Explorer but not tremendously bigger. You'll need to try out Oasis and Allure for really, really big ships. I love those two ships too, but for a slight change of itinerary, we do sail other ships.

We will be on her again in a few weeks for the 3rd time. First off, not only is Liberty in itself awesome but FLL (port Everglades) is my favorite port to leave from. Miami is prettier but from where we live there are only direct flights to FLL and then we would have to shuttle to Miami. FLL is just sooo easy!!! Getting to and from the airport to the ship is the easiest and quickest. WORST port we left from was Cape Canaveral. Long drive from airport to port. Lot of older people(like super old) and kids. Port itself wasn't pretty either

We also love leaving from Bayonne

The Ship - The Liberty is Beautiful and the staff is wonderful. The ports are usually pretty good also. We've sailed Liberty in Oct(2010), Feb and now in Nov. We loved our Feb cruise back in 2013. The deck party is such a blast.

The Pub was a very fun time and the guitar player/singer was wonderful both times. Our favorite thing is the Sky bar in the evening. We skip the dining room and grab a late lunch an midnight snack and spend most of our time at the Sky Bar or Pub. You will love it.

I am so excited it is coming to Bayonne. I love the Explorer (always have a good time on Exp) but the Liberty is my #1 with Explorer being #2 and Voyager #3.

I will tell you that in all my cruises there were only 2 cruises I have disliked, 1 - Freedom (ship nice, crew avg and clientele very old or kids - felt like a Disney cruise) and 2 - Brilliance (geared towards older folks, no reggae band, 1st time Id ever been bored on a vacation). I also think it was more the ports that we left from than it was the ships - although Brilliance literally had nothing fun going on at any given night, if you didn't go to the shows or main dining room. But I definitely had more fun than at work ;) Although If I would of known I would of spent my money on a different ship or just stayed in St Petersburg Fl instead of going on a cruise.

Edited by mariapd719

Sorry misunderstood. Thought you were new to cruising not to RCCL - disreguard all the port info you already probably know about :o

It is bigger than the Explorer...but not by much. Only thing more is a barber shop, cupcake making place, Sorrentos and maybe an additional retail type store. Same layout as Explorer so you will be able to navigate ship much in the same way.

Been on Voyager and Freedom Class and they are very similar except the Freedom Class is larger. There are more things on the Royal Promanade on the Liberty, Cupcake Cupbard, Sorrentos Pizza and more shopping. They also have the Dreamworks caracters. It also has the whirlpools that go over the edge of the ship and the Flo Rider. You will Love it!! Have a wonderful cruise!!

Been on both the Explorer and Liberty and love both. Liberty has the Flo Rider and even if you don't participate, it's so much fun watching everyone. Promenade has a bit more and Liberty is a bit larger but for us, Liberty is the PERFECT size. We were on the Liberty this past June. The ship was fabulous, the crew is great...in fact, I think we had the best service in the dining room ever (out of 16 cruises on Royal). We've already booked Freedom or June 2015 and can't wait :D. You'll love it! Enjoy!!!

Again, we are sorry.

ROFLMAO. Toddcan, you are hilarious. :D:D:D Thank you for brightening my dull day.

Edited by Anubi

I don't think you'll notice the size difference between Explorer and Liberty. My favorite thing about Liberty is the piano bar. All of the entertainers on that ship that I've seen have been good and it's a great place to enjoy late at night when you aren't interested in the other things going on.

Again, we are sorry.

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums