Late flight out of San Juan

tryptaker

I was told to grab a cab and head to the airport to rent a car and then drive around the island for a few hours before heading back to the airport to turn in my rental. That way my luggage stays with me and I can see what I want, stop when I want, etc.

I was told not to rent a car at the dock. It takes forever as they go to the airport anyway to get the car and bring it to you at the dock.

I was told to grab a cab and head to the airport to rent a car and then drive around the island for a few hours before heading back to the airport to turn in my rental. That way my luggage stays with me and I can see what I want, stop when I want, etc.

I was told not to rent a car at the dock. It takes forever as they go to the airport anyway to get the car and bring it to you at the dock.

I guess it depends what you want to do. I do exactly as you suggest if I have a late flight out of Florida. But I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that in San Juan due to the traffic and language differences. Also, in San Juan I'd be most interested in spending the time in Old San Juan where there is the option of checking luggage at Barrachina so taking a cab is a good option.

Edited by Lsimon

I will do that cruisestitch....although I can't imagine there will be a fee as we won't be using any of their facilities other than restaurant, and maybe sit outside by their pool - hopefully no charge for that!

suggest you email the hotel directly. we are using combo of cash & our hilton reward points at the Caribe Hilton pre cruise. After a bit of cyber arm twisting :rolleyes: was advised that we could store bags for a fee ($2 per) after our cruise.

I originally requested a day room but told they wouldn't be able to confirm availability or cost until we checked in pre cruise. For the few hours pre flight, also thought to just check bags & eat lunch. Note: I printed out the email to bring along jik;)

OP - when do you sail? if you are able to stay onboard until 1 pm, make sure to come back & post. I'd call Celebrity & ask but since we booked thru TA not sure if they'd discuss reservation or not.

Edited by keishashadow

I will ask at hotel pre cruise and if its not an option then the restaurant in Old San Juan that checks the baggage is our second option. I'm just looking for something easy with my parents along. The less we shuttle around the better!

• 11 months later...
I will be sailing on the Summit and have a 4 p.m. flight out of San Juan on the last day. I was told by Celebrity that we could stay on ship till 1 p.m. but I'm thinking there is probably nothing to do on the ship! We will be spending a day in San Juan prior to our cruise so plan to see the city then. Anyone have any ideas of how to fill a few hours of time and also what becomes of our baggage? I will be travelling with my elderly parents so nothing too strenuous or busy is required!

thanks.

You may want to contact a local tour guide to pick you up at the port and show you around with airport drop off. We did this a few years ago and enjoyed the experience. If you are interested post your email address and I will send you the name of the company as the Board rules do not allow me to post the name here.:)

You may want to contact a local tour guide to pick you up at the port and show you around with airport drop off. We did this a few years ago and enjoyed the experience. If you are interested post your email address and I will send you the name of the company as the Board rules do not allow me to post the name here.:)

This thread is from October, 2014. The OP has likely already sailed.