My time dining as a solo

runner2013

Hi all,

I'll be doing my first solo trip in January on Royal and I've chosen my time dining. I'm seeing in a lot of other posts where solo's or singles end up at the same table for dinner.

Is this on purpose or by chance? If I go to dinner as a solo and wish to have company should I tell them when I first get there if anyone is looking for a dinner companion it would be ok to bring them over?

Also, if I feel like eating with others should I ask them when I first arrive if there is anyone else alone who would like some company?

I'm not saying I definitely want someone else across from me, but on the off chance I do would this be the best way to go about it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patty

I took my first solo cruise on the Island Princess. It was a 11 night cruise and I chose anytime dining. I had almost all my meals in the dining room and I requested a large table every time. It was a positive experience and I enjoyed pleasant conversations with my table mates.

Evelyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've sailed solo on both RCCL and Carnival. In my opinion Carnival does a much better job of assigning table mates. Both times on Royal I was sat with 2 couples making me feel like a 5th wheel. The 2nd cruise the couples were more outgoing - on the 1st one they were both young and pretty much talked to their partner. One night I was the only one at the table - this happened on both RCCL solo cruises.

Now on Carnival, they seem to put you with other solo/singles or groups of friends traveling together. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against sitting with couples - I'm married, but hubby doesn't like cruising as much as I do. Even when I cruise with a girl friend Carnival seems to put us with other ladies traveling together.

None of this was MTD though, until recently Ive always selected traditional dining. When solo I always select traditional - I don't mind being alone during the day but like to have dinner conversation.

Enjoy your 1st solo cruise - be prepared to not want to share your cabin afterwards LOL:)

I've just had My Time Dining on Freedom. On the first night, not knowing how it worked, I said I didn't mind a table for one or a large shared table. I got a table for one, and after that they always seated me with the same waiters whenever I arrived (I didn't make any reservations). To be honest I didn't notice any shared tables in my section of the MTD dining room (on Freedom deck 5 is the My Time section). However this suited me perfectly fine. The hostesses are outside the restaurant during the day taking reservations and they were really nice, so I'd have a chat with them on the first afternoon and see what they suggest.

Hi all,

I'll be doing my first solo trip in January on Royal and I've chosen my time dining. I'm seeing in a lot of other posts where solo's or singles end up at the same table for dinner.

Is this on purpose or by chance? If I go to dinner as a solo and wish to have company should I tell them when I first get there if anyone is looking for a dinner companion it would be ok to bring them over?

Also, if I feel like eating with others should I ask them when I first arrive if there is anyone else alone who would like some company?

I'm not saying I definitely want someone else across from me, but on the off chance I do would this be the best way to go about it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patty

Hi Patty. I spent 31 days on the Royal. They have a get together for Solo travelers. If not many show up the first time go again. We had a huge crowd one day and only 4 the next day.

I personally like the traditional dining. I've mad some fantastic friends and people to do things with while cruising. We all ended up doing a specialty restaurant one night. We let the head waiter know so that anytime diners could get out table that night.

Have fun. It does take a bit of getting use to.