Flying down the day of the cruise...

kenandlaura06

We are in the process of booking the flights for our honeymoon. We are marrying on Saturday in MA and cruise leaves 5 p.m. Sunday from Miami. Flights that are released now don't look very favorable towards us flying out on Saturday night, so we will probably have to fly out very early Sunday morning...would be in Miami by 10 a.m. Is this cutting it too close???

...........would be in Miami by 10 a.m. Is this cutting it too close???

If you actually get to MIA by 10 that would be fine. The port is only about 30 or 45 minutes (depending on traffic) from the airport. In June our flight got in at 11:30 or so and after picking up our luggage and waiting for a cab we were in line at the port by 1:15.

The big problem comes if your flight is delayed or cancelled. Next year we're flying in the day before just so we don't have to worry about that happening. Back in 2000 we almost missed a cruise because of flight delays and lost luggage. We boarded our ship that was set to sail at 4:00 at 3:58!

Hope you have a great honeymoon and cruise!

John

If you actually get to MIA by 10 that would be fine. The port is only about 30 or 45 minutes (depending on traffic) from the airport. In June our flight got in at 11:30 or so and after picking up our luggage and waiting for a cab we were in line at the port by 1:15.

The big problem comes if your flight is delayed or cancelled. Next year we're flying in the day before just so we don't have to worry about that happening. Back in 2000 we almost missed a cruise because of flight delays and lost luggage. We boarded our ship that was set to sail at 4:00 at 3:58!

Hope you have a great honeymoon and cruise!

John

Thanks!

If you are worried about the flight being cancelled then be prepared in advance. Know what other airlines and flights could get you to the ship on time. Have the numbers of other airlines programmed into your phones and immediately start calling looking for seats. If you find out about the cancellation at the airport on the day of travel, don't wait to get to the front of the line to talk to the gate agent. While you are waiting in line, the people in front of you will be getting any available seats on other airlines, possible leaving you with nothing. To avoid this, as soon as you know the flight is cancelled call your airline's customer service number and get them to rebook. If you have the flight numbers of other flights that would work for you, then they'll be in a better position to help you faster.

I received a call at 11pm that our 5:45 am flight was cancelled last year. All the airline would offer me at first was a flight that would get in 4 hours too late for us. While I was talking to the lady, I and my family all got on the internet and started looking for seats on other airlines that would get us there in time. We told the airline rep which flights had available seats that they could put us on, and gave them a choice. Knowing your options will put you in a better position if this ever happens to you.

Most likely though, your flight will be fine.

If you are worried about the flight being cancelled then be prepared in advance. Know what other airlines and flights could get you to the ship on time. Have the numbers of other airlines programmed into your phones and immediately start calling looking for seats. If you find out about the cancellation at the airport on the day of travel, don't wait to get to the front of the line to talk to the gate agent. While you are waiting in line, the people in front of you will be getting any available seats on other airlines, possible leaving you with nothing. To avoid this, as soon as you know the flight is cancelled call your airline's customer service number and get them to rebook. If you have the flight numbers of other flights that would work for you, then they'll be in a better position to help you faster.

I received a call at 11pm that our 5:45 am flight was cancelled last year. All the airline would offer me at first was a flight that would get in 4 hours too late for us. While I was talking to the lady, I and my family all got on the internet and started looking for seats on other airlines that would get us there in time. We told the airline rep which flights had available seats that they could put us on, and gave them a choice. Knowing your options will put you in a better position if this ever happens to you.

Most likely though, your flight will be fine.

Thanks so much...very helpful for us and helps me to feel less worried.

Ken.....I know it's been said before......but you are taking a risk.

You keep saying "arrive in Miami at 10 am" or "arrives in Miami at 9 am." Most of the time, your flights will arrive as scheduled, yet you are still making a tremendous assumption.

I know it's bad timing.....Saturday wedding, Sunday cruise departure. But think ahead many months: imagine getting to the airport on that Sunday morning, finding problems (whatever they may be), it's summer seaon so flight are full.....and they now can get you into Miami at 6:15 pm.

What then?

I'm not trying to scare you....chances are good you'll make the ship without a hitch. Nevertheless, many things can happen which are out of your control.

If you can't plan for a noon wedding and fly out late that evening....or even plan a cruise that leaves the following week.....at a minimum, seriously consider booking flights thru the cruise line. Then, they will help you get to the ship, or hold the ship, or, at worst, fly you to meet the ship in the next port.

I fly over 100K miles a year. At 44, I've now flown over 2M miles total. I have learned for meetings, for cruises, for Dad's 80th birthday dinner, for that special show in NY for which I bought expensive tickets, for things that are going to happen whether or not I am there.....plan to arrive the day before. Or, be prepared to disappointed if something goes wrong........and be prepared to deal with a very disappointed bride! :o

I think you will be sorry if you do not fly in a day ahead. There are too many factors with air travel, particularly in the height of the summer season. Reconsider your plans....a late flight Saturday is better than missing the boat Sunday. We always arrive at the port of departure a day early.

Happy Cruising!

Not sure your exact wedding plans.....can you move up the time? Noon wedding.

Not sure your exact date, but Delta/Song has a flight on Sat July 8, leaving Boston at 7:30 pm, arriving Fort Lauderdale at 10:50. It's a non-stop. Think outside the box....do not just consider Miami International. You've been around CC long enough to know about alternative airports.

There is a Delta/Song flight leaving Boston at 8:55 pm, arriving FLL a few minutes after midnight on Sunday morning.

Again, I just picked that date.....not sure if your wedding is that weekend, or thereafter. Right now, out on July 8, returning the following weekend, tix are $180 per person round trip. :D

You can't realistically expect a flight to depart any later than that, would you? Further, it's a non-stop.

If you can't make a flight that late, then obviously you're not trying hard enough :rolleyes: .....and the next morning is the only option. And if that's the case, book the first flight out, and don't ask us if that is cutting it to close. Most of us think you are taking a remendous risk.....but what we say or think obvioulsy is not swaying your decision.

Tough love.....but that's the way this thread is shaking out. The decision is yours.....something is gonna have to give. Either the wedding is shifted to accommodate flights on Sat evening, or you fly out Sunday and deal with whatever the outcome may be. :confused:

Now......having tried to smack you into reality :mad: , you know we all wish you the best and certainly hope you make your cruise! CHEERS! ;)

Only concern is hurricane season.

Not to scare you anymore, but just typical summer thunderstorms can really screw things up bigtime!

Whatever you do, make sure it's a nonstop flight. You don't want connections to worry about.

You said something about booking with the airline but it's too expensive... I certainly hope you're not considering booking air through the cruise line, that's frequently a nightmare with odd times and an even worse nightmare, ODD CONNECTIONS!

In all honesty I would never consider a cruise if I had to fly out the same day. There are just too many things that can go wrong. I prefer flying in to where I'm cruising from a few days early, but I'd at least move the wedding up as early in the day as possible, and then take a Saturday evening flight. Either that or switch to a cruise a week later, or have the wedding a week earlier.

Trent--you are right.....what starts "little" can have disappointingly large results.

I suggested above--either hold the wedding earlier in the day so as to still get a flight that night....or plan on a cruise that leaves a week later.

If Ken flies out on Sunday morning and gets to the ship by noon, he'll roll his eyes and ask "What WAS their problem?" But if he and his new bride miss the ship, they'll be disappointed and out a lot of money.

I have been on 40-50 cruises and, following my parents' habits, I always arrive at least a day ahead of time. On every cruise I have been on, there has been at least one person/couple/group who missed the ship.

More often than not, they have been able to (at their own expense) fly to the next port and join the ship there. However, the most frustrating was a ship that left the night before ours to Antarctica. We happened to be out on the pier as the ship left....right after the ship's staff had unloaded those 4 suitcases and left them on the pier. About 30 mins later, this couple came running. They were screaming and yelling and waving their arms, but the ship was too far gone. Then came the tears. There is no "next port" in Antarctica. This couple lost the monies for this cruise (at a minimum about $5000 per person), and now were stuck in the southern-most tip of Argentina, with no hotel and no plans for the next 12 days.

You know......too bad, so sad. Better luck next time.

wrp96, great advice! DH and I are also flying out the day of our cruise (supposed to be arriving at 9:50, cruise departs at 4pm). I've been really worried about what will happen if our flight is delayed, cancelled, etc - you offered some really good suggestions. I will make sure to have Delta's customer service number on hand, as well as a list of alternate flights that would get us in on time that day.

One question - if I'm flying Delta and they can't re-book me on another Delta flight, do they have to book me on another airline if I ask them to?

Thanks for your assistance Kevin and Trent...and the "tough love" ;)

This is Laura writing...Ken researched the flights but missed the Song flight at 8:55, so obviously that option is a very good one. We will go with that, as we can't move the wedding any earlier (ceremony is starting at 10:00 a.m. as it is!!!). It will be a long day, but, we will sleep soundly once we reach Florida knowing we are already there! :)

Not to scare you anymore, but just typical summer thunderstorms can really screw things up bigtime!

Whatever you do, make sure it's a nonstop flight. You don't want connections to worry about.

You said something about booking with the airline but it's too expensive... I certainly hope you're not considering booking air through the cruise line, that's frequently a nightmare with odd times and an even worse nightmare, ODD CONNECTIONS!

In all honesty I would never consider a cruise if I had to fly out the same day. There are just too many things that can go wrong. I prefer flying in to where I'm cruising from a few days early, but I'd at least move the wedding up as early in the day as possible, and then take a Saturday evening flight. Either that or switch to a cruise a week later, or have the wedding a week earlier.

Yes, I did mean booking with the cruiseline, not the airline. We know that is a bad option! And twice as expensive!

Yes, I did mean booking with the cruiseline, not the airline. We know that is a bad option! And twice as expensive!

I'll buck the conventional wisdom and say you'll be just fine with the same-day connection. I'm guessing your flight is non-stop, based on the fact that you get into Miami at 9:00. If it's delayed by thunderstorms (rare in the morning), you have a bunch of time to sit around the airport in Boston to wait it out. In the unlikely event that your flight gets cancelled at the last moment, you also have a lot of time to work on getting another flight, even if it has a connection. Boston to Miami on a Sunday morning in July shouldn't be terribly crowded.

Is it risk-free? Of course not. But you also run the risk of being killed every time you get in your car. In both cases the odds are very much in your favor, so conduct your life accordingly.

Archived