Just found out I'm pregnant. Should I tell Carnival?

From a neonatal nurse's perspective....

I think it is best to give carnival full disclosure for this. I traveled with my daughter on the Elation in January. She was around 10 weeks. It was very simple to handle the paperwork. When you fill out your online check in you will be asked about a pregnancy. When you answer yes, it prompts you to print out a form for your physician to complete. It asked for verification of gestational age and verifies that it is safe to travel. Once you complete it you fax it to carnival to the number given on the form. Keep the original for yourself and carry it with you for proof during embarkation.

It was all very simple. Btw.... The reason you can't sail past your 24 or 25 th week???? Because at that point the baby is considered "viable" and the ship has no way to care for a severely premature baby should you go into premature labor. And they would not be able to provide the support you need to stop premature labor. For this reason, there is absolutely no way I would cruise beyond that point.

Medically, it is in the best interest of mother and baby to disclose to them that you are pregnant. Should an emergency arise, they can handle your care while keeping you and your baby safe.

The answer to this question goes way beyond alcohol or tobacco purchases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you know how close to the cruise I can let Carnival know? I won't be able to see my doctor until about a week before the cruise. I just want to make sure everything is progressing ok before I tell Carnival that I am pregnant.

Hi :)

Congratulations AidenandCasensMommy!!!

The pregnancy policy was implemented for benefit and safety. Expectant

mothers who will enter the 24th week of estimated fetal gestational age

before or at any time during the cruise are not permitted to sail because

of the potential need for specialized medical care that may not be available

during the cruise.

Pregnancy policy and a sample of the pregnancy form is located at:

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/booking_procedure/PregnancyPolicy.htm

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

Do you know how close to the cruise I can let Carnival know? I won't be able to see my doctor until about a week before the cruise. I just want to make sure everything is progressing ok before I tell Carnival that I am pregnant.

Not sure what the time constraints are. But it would seem likely that they would have time to process the paperwork if you fax it the day you see your physician.

Edited to say that you could possibly move your appointment up a couple of weeks if possible. That way you wouldn't be pushing the clock on the paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Msbabynurse

Do you know how close to the cruise I can let Carnival know?

I won't be able to see my doctor until about a week before the cruise.

I just want to make sure everything is progressing ok before I tell Carnival that I am pregnant.

Hi AidenandCasensMommy :)

Within the link I provided in my previous reply it states that the form must

be submitted to Carnival no later than 14 days prior to sailing.

I will drop the link in this reply also. Have a terrific day!

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/booking_procedure/PregnancyPolicy.htm

Hi AidenandCasensMommy :)

Within the link I provided in my previous reply it states that the form must

be submitted to Carnival no later than 14 days prior to sailing.

I will drop the link in this reply also. Have a terrific day!

I don't know how to resolve that then because I won't be able to see my doctor until I am at least 7 weeks which will be closer to the cruise than 14 days. He won't be able to fill out a pregnancy certification form before then.

Edited by AidenandCasensMommy

Doesn't change the fact that Cheers can only be purchased onboard. Your package may have included Cruise Cash or onboard credit that you chose to use to purchase the Cheers program once on board.

I've run into this before. The TA sells it as a package and CHEERS will be included once they board the ship. The TA's company may not allow refunds on the package so therefore they could have pre-purchased the CHEERS package from their TA before cruising with the understanding that the TA was going to purchase the packages once on board. :rolleyes:

Edited by Spudder

It is just odd to me that they single out pregnancy. There are plenty of medical conditions that one would be ill advised to board a ship with, but pregnancy is the only one that I know of where they dictate whether you can cruise with. Do they ban hemophilia? Cancer? Question diabetics about how well controlled they are? Take a psych history? All conditions that if something went wrong, the ship couldn't handle as well as on land. So why pregnancy?

I'm not talking about infectious disease. It's obvious why those shouldn't be let on. Just think it's kind of arbitrary to pick pregnancy as the only condition that will get you denied boarding because of potential complications. It doesn't seem entirely logical when compared to other possible complications. HIV positive hemophiliac, Welcome aboard! 20 weeks pregnant? We're going to need a note from your doc. 24 weeks, sorry ma'am.

If you have a health crisis once onboard due to a pre-existing or sudden medical condition, you will not be permitted to continue on the cruise. The medical team will remove you at the soonest possible port.

I've run into this before. The TA sells it as a package and CHEERS will be included once they board the ship. The TA's company may not allow refunds on the package so therefore they could have pre-purchased the CHEERS package from their TA before cruising with the understanding that the TA was going to purchase the packages once on board. :rolleyes:

Not quite. The Cheer package can only be purchased on board. Travel agents may have purchased Cruise Cash or provided on board credit that their customer can then use to purchase the Cheers program or other on board amenities but the unless the TA is on board, the passenger need to make the actual purchase.

Considering Carnival reads these boards, I think you :) just told them.

I understand that but my concern is with it being so early, what if I had a miscarriage before the cruise but I've already told them I was pregnant? I'm praying for a healthy pregnancy but I think it's too early to tell them before I see my doctor.

I understand that but my concern is with it being so early, what if I had a miscarriage before the cruise but I've already told them I was pregnant? I'm praying for a healthy pregnancy but I think it's too early to tell them before I see my doctor.

I would just have something from your doctor clearing you to travel. There is another thread on here where they ask female passengers of a certain age if they are pregnant. I would hate for them to deny you for not having the okay to travel from the dr, as they would be under no obligation to refund your money for denied boarding because you choose to withhold information that is clearly stated in your passenger terms/contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is just odd to me that they single out pregnancy. There are plenty of medical conditions that one would be ill advised to board a ship with, but pregnancy is the only one that I know of where they dictate whether you can cruise with. Do they ban hemophilia? Cancer? Question diabetics about how well controlled they are? Take a psych history? All conditions that if something went wrong, the ship couldn't handle as well as on land. So why pregnancy?

I'm not talking about infectious disease. It's obvious why those shouldn't be let on. Just think it's kind of arbitrary to pick pregnancy as the only condition that will get you denied boarding because of potential complications. It doesn't seem entirely logical when compared to other possible complications. HIV positive hemophiliac, Welcome aboard! 20 weeks pregnant? We're going to need a note from your doc. 24 weeks, sorry ma'am.

The answer to your question is in the Carnival policy as well as the post that you responded to. It has to do with the ability to care for an infant at all.

Carnival Ticket Contract

Guest understands and acknowledges that in addition to the limitations on medical care described in Clause 2 (a), prenatal and early infant care, in particular, may require specialized diagnostic facilities and/or treatment that are not obtainable during the cruise on board the ship and/or ashore in ports of call. Therefore, the Guest agrees not to book a cruise or board the ship if at any time during the cruise she will enter the 24th week of estimated gestational age, nor for or with infants less than six months old--for trans-ocean crossings, South America and Hawaii the infant must be at least twelve months of age at the time of embarkation to sail.

It is not a question of handling it "as well as on land", they are saying they can not handle it at all. They do not have the equipment, to provide even reasonable care.

The Pregnancy Policy is unique, in that Carnival feels they can deal with medical issues you may require up to a point in your pregnancy. After that point they can not aide you properly. I am inferring that the issue is less caring for the pregnant woman, and more the issue of caring for a premature or newborn infant. If they let a woman beyond 24 weeks sail and certain medical circumstances ensue, they can not aide them and yet are liable for their well being. This creates a situation where "how pregnant are you" is the liability concern. The form is to prevent an employee or passenger from miss estimating or misstating the liability.

The reason for the form is they do not want the embarkation staff to have to guess how far along someone is. One woman commented that she was asked if she was pregnant when she wasn't. Do you want the staff looking at someone 15 weeks pregnant, and based on her build trying to decide if they think she is fudging? No company would want their staff deciding "She looks further along than that" or "She's not very far along" on sight. Hence a certified document from a health care professional. The person who signs the form assumes the liability.

It is about liability alone. If you got on a ship with Cancer and got ill, you would either say "I didn't know I had Cancer" (Carnival is not liable because they were unaware of your condition), "I didn't think I had to notify you" (Carnival is not liable because they were unaware of your condition), or you would have told them in advance. At the time you notify them, they would put you through a series of questions and correspondence to determine if they could treat you if you were to become ill. After that point, if you sail, they are accepting liability, but they are doing so knowing exactly what your condition is. Or more likely you too would have something given to you that says "Your on your own, we are not liable". Go read the dialysis policy.

Edited by Domino D

I'm sticking with my original story. You don't need to tell them that early on. Like you said, a lot can happen in the first 3 months. This is why most people don't announce the news until after that point. You clearly won't have time to get a note to Carnival in time. Just keep it quiet and enjoy the cruise!!

I'm sticking with my original story. You don't need to tell them that early on. Like you said, a lot can happen in the first 3 months. This is why most people don't announce the news until after that point. You clearly won't have time to get a note to Carnival in time. Just keep it quiet and enjoy the cruise!!

When you complete your boarding documents, all females between the ages 14 and 55 must answer the question "Are you pregnant?"

Not like you are putting a note on your file. Either Yes or No. If Yes, you must submit the documentation. If no, no documentation required. So unless the advice is lie on the form that is when Carnival is notified.

Except I do believe travel agents are supposed to ask..

Edited by Elaine5715
spelling

Yes a lot can happen in the first 3 months. So she lies on the online check-in for and says she is not pregnant. Then she gets on board and has a miscarriage and needs medical attention. That is going to set off a whole new boatload of issues.

Edited by DebJ14

Pregnant guests who enter the 24th week of estimated fetal gestational

age before or at any time during the cruise will not be allowed to sail. Pregnant guest, who will not enter the

24th week of estimated fetal gestational age before or at any time during the cruise, must submit, prior to

departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this

policy, and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

Forgive my ignorance... WTH can't pregnant women cruise???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes a lot can happen in the first 3 months. So she lies on the online check-in for and says she is not pregnant. Then she gets on board and has a miscarriage and needs medical attention. That is going to set off a whole new boatload of issues.

Medical attention at 9 weeks is a completely different situation than medical attention at 20+ weeks. Totally different ballgame there.

I get what is being said, it comes down to a moral issue on the lying.

She can't see her doctor until 7 weeks. She will be 9 weeks at the start of the cruise. Its a slim window to get all the documentation taken care of before Carnival's deadline. However, sending in paperwork beforehand seems rather silly to me. I think a simple note from her doctor shown at embarkation is sufficient, I recognize it is not Carnival's policy to wait until the day of. I cruised twice while pregnant on another line, had a note from my doctor just in case, but never needed to show anyone.

A lot of women in their first trimester have no idea they are pregnant until they miscarry.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Forums mobile app

If you were my family I would tell you:

Take the form to your doctor when you go. Get it filled out. Take it with you on the cruise.

If I remember your timings you have an appointment at 7 weeks and will be 9 weeks pregnant when you sail. That is more than close enough to the 14 day policy that I would not worry about it until that appointment.

Getting the form filled out as a precaution, in no way means you HAVE to give it to them in advance.

Even if you decide not tell Carnival in advance, because of hassle, family, or privacy, you will not be hurt by having the form with you.

The primary purpose of this requirement is an affirmative liability defense if they fubar the treatment of a pregnant passenger. They've achieved that goal already by requiring you to report this information whether you choose to comply or not.

The fundamental question is what would Carnival actually do differently if they know you are 9 weeks pregnant. The answer for the vast majority of cruisers is... NOTHING. No special equipment on board, no extra evacuation plans, no special training, they apparently may flag you for alcohol or tobacco purchases (which may not even be for your own consumption).

Now, if she had an accident or other medical emergency there may well be differences in care (avoiding X-rays, meds, more intensive monitoring, etc.), and perhaps they assume they no longer need to ask the patient or test for pregnancy if it's been answered prior to boarding. However, that's a risky assumption as many people won't even know for sure at 7 weeks.

This is no different than if something happened on land and you were to end up unconscious in an ER not associated with your primary care provider. Do you wear a medical-alert bracelet 24x7 indicating you're pregnant?

my wife was 22 Weeks when we went on our cruise. She got a letter from her doctor that all was well.

Why not just get a letter and be safe? Why buck the system?

I don't have a problem telling Carnival. If you would have read my previous comments, you would know I'm not trying to "buck" the system. I can't see my doctor until the week of November 17th. I sail on December 1st. If he can't see me on Nov. 17th, I wouldn't meet the 14 days deadline. Also, I was planning to wait until Christmas to announce my pregnancy to my family. My family will be with me on the cruise, so if I let Carnival know, it will get out during the cruise.

Also, I have had a miscarriage in the past. What if I tell Carnival that I am pregnant, then I miscarry before the trip? I wouldn't be allowed to order a drink on the cruise since Carnival thinks I am pregnant.