Great information for French Polynesia

ROWSE

It is so exciting they have extended their cruises now through January.

That is about the time we will be going to Tahiti and getting on the sister

ship, the Ocean Princes.

I've been following the Amarillo Pescado blog you suggested and was wondering if there was an E-mail address to contact them. We will be arriving in Papeete on Jan. 5 and taking the Jan. 7 cruise on the Pacific Princess that they will be on. I have a few questions I would like to ask them and I understand you are friends with them. Thank you for your help

I've been following the Amarillo Pescado blog you suggested and was wondering if there was an E-mail address to contact them. We will be arriving in Papeete on Jan. 5 and taking the Jan. 7 cruise on the Pacific Princess that they will be on. I have a few questions I would like to ask them and I understand you are friends with them. Thank you for your help

If you click on the right side of her blog under "View my complete profile"

it takes you to a page that has her e-mail link on it.

Or type out pescadoamarillo@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...
I have come to this board a lot to get information for our upcoming cruise in January.

A cruise friend is on the Pacific Princess for six b2b's in French Polynesia, and

she has a blog that I have gotten so much information from already. She is a regular poster to Cruise Critic, so I thought some of you might like to follow along.

Here is the link:http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/

Reading all their adventures makes me so excited for our own!

Love reading this.

• 3 weeks later...

The Day 72 and 73 posts are not making me want to spend 10 nights in downtown Papeete. So far, it sounds hot, humid, noisy, and relatively uninteresting. I think after about two nights, I'd be ready to move on to somewhere else on Tahiti or Moorea.

I'm really enjoying reading her blog. Anyone know what "G" stands for?

Sent using Tapatalk

Anyone want to join Pescado Amarillo on the next few cruises? Princess is selling inside cabins on these 10-night cruises for $540 to $600 per person, plus another $110 to $160 in taxes. This is really cheap for French Polynesia, about $70 per day including taxes. Of course, the airfare to get to FP will be double this.

Princess is cutting the FP schedule way back next year, with a lot shorter season. I'm guessing this is the last year for good Standby Deals from Princess in FP.

I haven't read all the posts but there is a chikengunya epedemic going on which especially affects those 65 or over. My doctor related a horror story. I would guess the cruise industry watches the CDC warnings and sees a level one warning with special precautions for those 65 or over. The same is true in the Caribean of course.

I would guess these are the final few months for travel in French Poly until the chikengunya epedemic (self described by a local govenment official) is over. This disease is not to be taken lightlly. Seach the internet. I was on the Pacific Princess until I was advised by my doctor to cancel. Fortunately I had all the right insurance and am now on a cruise to Hawaii with another line

Edited by bobby3334
clarity

The Day 72 and 73 posts are not making me want to spend 10 nights in downtown Papeete. So far, it sounds hot, humid, noisy, and relatively uninteresting. I think after about two nights, I'd be ready to move on to somewhere else on Tahiti or Moorea.

I'm really enjoying reading her blog. Anyone know what "G" stands for?

Sent using Tapatalk

I believe his name is Greg...and he posts on these boards as Scuba Greg.

Do you think it might have something to do with the chikengunya epedmic?:)

I didn't think it was because of that. I know they sold one of the small ships.. maybe they plan on selling the other one? I didn't hear about the virus until a few months ago.. but then maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Jill

I didn't think it was because of that. I know they sold one of the small ships.. maybe they plan on selling the other one? I didn't hear about the virus until a few months ago.. but then maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Jill

Princess is selling the Pacific this fall...a shame, I think. However, all cruise lines and ships are going to be in trouble once the facts come out: the chikengunya virus spread about a year ago from several small SA countries to the entire Caribean islands chain. There are now more than 1 million infected in places such as Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic, Aruba, and all other ports of call. My doctor said his 68 year old patient was infected in San Juan this past summer and is not expected to recover. Then suddenly in mid October this year for the first time ever it appeared in the South Pacific with about 15 cases in Tahiti. I read the CDC warning and found that anyone 65 or over is one of the special at risk groups....I imagine about the average age for cruising at this time of year. By mid November there were 15,000 cases in French Poly. most in Tahiti. During my regular scheduled physical in the same month my doctor related his experience and said to cancel if at all possible. It was easily done...since I had the cancel for any reason insurance and a one way ticket on points which I simply had redeposited. I then noticed the death rate was around 10 and there was a mutation in the mosquito strain....as well as a # of cases of Gu. Barre linked to the virus. I then noticed an almost full ship (I was in the roll call) had many price drops and cabins available. The US had several not very well publicized cases last summer and I am sure it will eventualy arrive here.

The positive note is that a vaccine was about ready a few years ago but as I understand it not enough money to be made...now they are back in full mode and expect it to be ready in 3 years. So what do the islands, the cruise lines, and the CDC tell us in the meantime??? A moral problem of the first order. PR firms must be working overtime. Safe travels to all. Everyone is forcused on ebola and this much more widespead and for us dangerous bite is at the door. It is unlikely that you will die from it but for those who have the lifelong cases that I read about.......they wish they would.:eek: PS use deet with at least 20%....one of the problems in the islands is they sell a weak deet with only 10%

Edited by bobby3334
clarity

There is a thread on chikungunya virus here:

Chikungunya virus

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130455

If you get me going on the chikungunya topic, I'm going start a rant about all the sensationalist headlines and fear-mongoring that is being promulgated by the press. Wouldn't we rather talk about Pescadoamarillo's French Polynesia cruise adventures on this thread?

Edited by Mercruiser

Mercruiser -

My thoughts exactly! If we worried about every disease or virus - real, sensationalized, or fabricated - we'd never set foot out of our homes...and perhaps never even breathe, either...

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking! We leave for Tahiti very soon, and while we will take precautions, we will not let fear guide us.

I just emailed with PescadoAmarillo, and she says they have not noticed any Mosquitos on the beach, and they wear DEET if they are going to be in the mountains and that will be our rule of thumb as well. She said to worry more about sunburn rather than this as the sun is fierce there. You would all probably laugh at the large amount of sunscreen that is already packed in my suitcase:)

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking! We leave for Tahiti very soon, and while we will take precautions, we will not let fear guide us.

I just emailed with PescadoAmarillo, and she says they have not noticed any Mosquitos on the beach, and they wear DEET if they are going to be in the mountains and that will be our rule of thumb as well. She said to worry more about sunburn rather than this as the sun is fierce there. You would all probably laugh at the large amount of sunscreen that is already packed in my suitcase:)

A word to the wise is sufficient. I didn't know I was on a vendors' thread. Sorry but not if even one person is helped. Obviously some had no idea there was a severe problem. Mike:)

Spent 2 weeks on the Pacific Princess and 2 islands and did not get bitten.

I bought oil of lemon eucalyptus from Amazon but really didn't notice any bugs at all.

I think driving in Hawaii and the circulating air on the airplane is much more dangerous.

We enjoyed both the Pride of America/Hawaii last year (same week/Thanksgiving) but this was much more relaxing as you didn't need to rent

a car on each island.

I have a friend who works for Princess in response to a previous question about the sale of the Pacific to P&O. I have been on it 5 times and love it. A classic ship. In regard to a few posts I'm sure there Americans touring West Africa to see Ebola for themselves. Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a thread on chikungunya virus here:

Chikungunya virus

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130455

If you get me going on the chikungunya topic, I'm going start a rant about all the sensationalist headlines and fear-mongoring that is being promulgated by the press. Wouldn't we rather talk about Pescadoamarillo's French Polynesia cruise adventures on this thread?

I would love to talk more about PescadoAmarillo's vacation!! Sounds like it's terribly hot and humid in Papeete right now. I hope it is a bit less hot and humid when I am there in Sept/Oct!!!

Jill

I would love to talk more about PescadoAmarillo's vacation!! Sounds like it's terribly hot and humid in Papeete right now. I hope it is a bit less hot and humid when I am there in Sept/Oct!!!

Jill

I agree..now that I've had a chance it is interesting. The virus links are strangely empty but as one poster said this is probably because so many spell it incorrectly

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've been enjoying reading Pescado Amarillo's blog. One of the things I really appreciate about them is they show you don't have to drop a lot of money to enjoy French Polynesia. They are cruising on one of the lowest cost cruise lines in FP, in the cheapest cabin category - and having a great time.

Sometimes on CC, we focus too much on the ship. Its age, size, level of luxury, suites and balcony cabins, food, level of service, etc. If you've been reading Pescado Amarillo's blog, she focuses on none of these. For her, it's about enjoying her time in FP in the company of "G".

Edited by Mercruiser

I've been enjoying reading Pescado Amarillo's blog. One of the things I really appreciate about them is they show you don't have to drop a lot of money to enjoy French Polynesia. They are cruising on one of the lowest cost cruise lines in FP, in the cheapest cabin category - and having a great time.

Sometimes on CC, we focus too much on the ship. Its age, size, level of luxury, suites and balcony cabins, food, level of service, etc. If you've been reading Pescado Amarillo's blog, she focuses on none of these. For her, it's about enjoying her time in FP in the company of "G".

I am enjoying those same things! I will be so lost when they are finished cruising for the winter. I'm all about doing things on a budget. And FP is going to be no exception for me. I will be staying in a port hole cabin myself! Cruising solo is expensive but, I really enjoy being on my own. My post cruise stay at the ICH in Moorea was mostly paid by points I accumulated.

• 2 weeks later...

The 82 days in FP have come to an end. Now they are on the repositioning cruise from Tahiti to Los Angeles via Hawaii. Pescadoamarillo sounds like she is going stir crazy with too many sea days in a row. I've looked at repositioning cruise itineraries and their low prices and wondered how I would like them. My ideal cruise so far has been a Panama canal transit with essentially alternating sea and port days.

Now that their 82 days of back-to-back cruises are over, how many back-to-backs would you want to go on?

For me, I'd be ready to get off the ship after two 10-day cruises. After a while, the daily cruise routine becomes, well, routine.

Sent using Tapatalk