HAL Machu Picchu Excursion

Rustee

I got off the Zaandam last week and what I've heard from those who went to Machu Picchu is that early on day 1 at Trujillo they left for Cuzco, on day 2 visited MP and on day 3 (day 2 in Callao/Lima) rejoined the ship in the early afternoon. They were up at MP for a mere 1.5 hours at a cost of $2,995.

I got off the Zaandam last week and what I've heard from those who went to Machu Picchu is that early on day 1 at Trujillo they left for Cuzco, on day 2 visited MP and on day 3 (day 2 in Callao/Lima) rejoined the ship in the early afternoon. They were up at MP for a mere 1.5 hours at a cost of $2,995.

That is robbery! Sorry if some people find that remark offensive, but for that amount of money the tour participant deserve more than 1.5 at that awesome site. You cannot do it justice in a day let alone 1.5 hours. I wished I had another 3-4 days to spend there.

Terri

I hate to jump in on this discussion but my husband and I did an independent tour from Lima to Machu Picchu back to Lima last April while on HAL. We did it through a US travel agent and loved it. We saw lots of the people from the ship on the same airplane, train and even in MP. They did see more of the Sacred Valley than we did but they had little or no time for themselves to wander around Cusco. We took out insurance so that if we could not get back to the ship in time the insurance would have taken us to the next port.

Either way you do it, please do go see Machu Picchu. It was absolutely magnificent. All the pictures in the world won't prepare you to have your breath taken away when you turn the corner and there it is................a site of a lifetime.

Check your Roll Call and see if there is anyone from your ship talking about doing tours. It was very comforting with the insurance and several other people.

In any event check with your doctor before you go to get altitude sickness medication. Most everyone had it and took it for a couple of days. It is worth it. Most of all ENJOY!

I hate to jump in on this discussion but my husband and I did an independent tour from Lima to Machu Picchu back to Lima last April while on HAL. We did it through a US travel agent and loved it. We saw lots of the people from the ship on the same airplane, train and even in MP. They did see more of the Sacred Valley than we did but they had little or no time for themselves to wander around Cusco. We took out insurance so that if we could not get back to the ship in time the insurance would have taken us to the next port.

Either way you do it, please do go see Machu Picchu. It was absolutely magnificent. All the pictures in the world won't prepare you to have your breath taken away when you turn the corner and there it is................a site of a lifetime.

Check your Roll Call and see if there is anyone from your ship talking about doing tours. It was very comforting with the insurance and several other people.

In any event check with your doctor before you go to get altitude sickness medication. Most everyone had it and took it for a couple of days. It is worth it. Most of all ENJOY!

We did the same as you. We took out separate insurance that would have covered trip interruption or delay. We did not have any problems but that gave us peace of mind.

Terri

We are going next year and using a private company. We are doing a seven day trip that costs 50% of what HAL charges for three days.

We are doing the same thing. Starting a 7 day tour the day after the ship docks.

We took this Hal pre cruise trip 3 years ago. As memory serves, we arrived from Lima in Cusco in the am. ,had a lovely tour ,then dinner featuring local food and entertainment. This allowed us time to adapt to the altitude and enjoy the sights of Cusco. Our hotel was just lovely (a small boutique hotel) . We were given a local tea to help with the altitude adjustment. The next am we boarded a bus then train to Macchu Picchu. Both very scenic and comfortable. At Macchu Picchu we were given a guided tour that was quite extensive and covered most of the site. After the tour we were given ample free time and were lucky in that the weather was perfect! I would guess that we spent about 3 hrs at the site. We then were taken to a restaurant at the train station for a late lunch. We arrived back to Cusco late and flew to Lima the next morning. Personally we greatly enjoyed this trip and felt that Hal fulfilled all that they promised.

Would like to read a review from anyone who is going to be on the 2nd November cruise out of San Diego to Lima return and is going to participate in the excursion to Machu Picchu offered by HAL (2nights/3days). Will be interested in the amount of time spent at the ruins. Also the arrival and departure times at MP by train. Was there enough time to enjoy the ruins.

Look forward to your comments in a few weeks.

Fore twice the entertainment and care and half the price try

jamie at http://www.patagoniashorex.com

We had a fantastic time with him much much better than the cruise ship experience and half the price

• 2 weeks later...

I was on part of the same cruise as Zeven Zeeen (hi Jeff!) and heard that some 60 people did the HAL excursion at an exorbitant rate (at least $3k per person).

Not only that but 4 am wake-up calls for 3 days in a row.

We (partner and I) got off in Valparaiso, went to Easter Island, then to Cusco and probably paid as much as those who did the HAL excursion - we arranged independently.

If you fly to CUZ, fly with LAN Chile/Peru. It is reportedly the most reliable of the lot.

We, in one day, flew from Santiago-Lima then onto Cusco with a 1 1/2 hr layover which we made comfortably (all with LAN Chile/Peru). 3 hours to make the train in Ollantaytambo for Aguas Calientes which we also made with an hour to spare (thanks to our driver, Miguel). The trains run on time; have to as the single track would screw up scheduling otherwise.

Cusco is 3,400 m in altitude which is around 12,000' ASL. Aguas Calientes is much lower - 2,000m or 6,600' IIRC. One of the HAL excursion people as hospitalised for AMS shortly after arrival for 6 hours so missed Machu Picchu completely. Had a little bit of a headache upon arrival in Cusco but that went away as we headed down hill (well, had to head up another 400m from Cusco first to get over the pass).

Didn't stay at the Sanctuary Lodge but we didn't feel like paying a grand a night either.

Hint: One way (or return) business class fares from/to Lima to North America are one of the best bargains I've seen......

Edited by cruising cockroach

• 2 years later...