Paris - Has anyone stayed at...

Has anyone stayed at the Plaza Paris Vendome, Hotel Regina or Hotel Raphael in Paris? I've narrowed my choice to these and am looking for feedback.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;8;15;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
The World Ship - Europe July 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seabreezer:
Has anyone stayed at the Plaza Paris Vendome, Hotel Regina or Hotel Raphael in Paris? I've narrowed my choice to these and am looking for feedback.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the area where you are looking and I assume you mean the Regina Hotel.That or the Hotel Raphael would my choice of the ones you have listed.You cannot beat the location nor the fact they are really nice hotels.The area has some wonderful places to eat,shop and of course you are within walking distance of many sights.Have a wonderful stay in Paris.

Karen
Ü

The Raphael is very special. I would not agree on the location being great as the Champs is not my idea of Paris. But the 16th is quite lively and you can walk to the Eiffel tour. Its a beautiful stroll in the evening. You are also right at a metro stop and can be anywhere very quickly.
The Raphael is a *petit palais* with a rich history. There are always political movers and shakers coming and going to add to the excitement. Last time we were there they didnt take credit cards... Lots of great small hotels in Paris.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

Thanks for your replies. I agree that the Raphael's location may not be ideal for us this time since we'll only have 2 days in Paris and we're taking our son and want to make sure he sees the major sites. The Plaza Paris Vendome is new and I can't find many reviews about it so I'm especially interested in any feedback on that one. Is the Regina hotel a little too touristy?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;8;15;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

I am going to throw one more in the mix..try the Hotel Scribe.It is across from the Le Grand Inter.Cont.,right up the street from Galleries,one block from the Opera,the metro is right there,good area for young people and you can walk to a lot of places.Plenty of great places to eat as well in the area.I do not have the link for it anymore,but we have stayed there several times.Address is 1 rue Scribe.

Karen
Ü

If you have your son with you then I would recommend a whole different approach. Is he a teen/tween ?
Then St. Germaine is great, really hopping with a lot of street life. I once rented an apartment for the week with my three kids and we had a lot of fun. There are a number of lovely hotels there. But Paris is really about the city.
Dont go overboard on museums and sightseeing.
A bateau ride is always a good overview, walling thru charming neighborhoods, having some fabulous frnch ice cream, sitting in a cafe- are all part of the quintessentially French experience.
The metro is excellent and will enable you to quickly and easily cover a lot of ground. This is one of the easiest and safest cities to get around !

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Grand Princess Med 2000

I would add to the above-lunch on the rooftop terrace of The Smartaine Dept. Store next to the Siene-great views for free! Please use the Metro-so easy and cheap. A 3 day Museum Pass gets you to the front of all lines and free admission into many, many places-great time saver. Take the Metro to the Louvre, get off at the entrance and skip the lines up top waiting to get in.Do see Napoleon's Tomb under the Gold Dome-even the kids will be impressed! Walk along the Rue De Rivoli and feel the history, gaze upon the column across from the Ritz, the one made from Napoleon's cannon--there is so MUCH in this lovely city to see and do....

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

Make a reservation at jules verne for lunch. Food is great and its an easy way to go up the eiffel tower in your own private elevator! ALso if your boy isnt too old then a trip to the Bois de Bologne is fun- there is a very nice little French amusement parc there. A nice taste of the culture as this isnt a tourist attraction.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Grand Princess Med 2000

Thanks for all the time saving suggestions. I might consider Jules Verne for lunch just to save time. We're also considering taking a dinner cruise on the Seine. Has anyone done that? Would that work with a 9 year old?

A dinner cruise on the Siene is FABULOUS! But not, unfortunately, for a nine year old. I would do a lunch on the Siene instead. The dinner cruises are very ROMANTIC and stirring. Having the boat pull up alongside Notre Dame while the vocalist sings AVE MARIA still sends chills up my spine but I doubt a nine year old would really appreciate the moment. He is still one VERY LUCKY boy to go to Paris at nine years of age!!!!Incidentally, the Jules Verne is a very nice reatuarant and a very expensive restaurant. It also takes a great deal of time (AS IN GRACIOUS DINING). AGAIN, IF TIME IS A CONCERN, I would not go to the Jules Verne. There is a restaurant on the second level of the Tower that will work much better for you and your family. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

If you only have time for one palace I would choose Fountainbleu over Versailles. Fountainbleu is furnished whereas Versailles,tragically, is not and again I would think your son would gain a better perspective if he saw how people lived rather than trying to imagine it. I have toured palaces all over the world and every place I have gone I have heard the same line "this is our country's version of Versailles." Trust me, Versailles is just about the worse example of a palace in the world. All the "copies" are far more interesting and beautiful than Versailles. Yes, the Gardens are nice but so are the gardens at Hampton Court.Both Dohmabace and Topkapi in Istanbul have more intrigue than Versailles. Fountainbleu is where Napoleon lived.
Also take the time, while in Paris, to visit the upper level of St. Chappelle. The floor to ceiling (Three storey) stained glass windows are breathtaking. If your son never sees another stained glass window, he will never forget these in the Royal Chapel, especially if you are fortunate enough to have a sunny day to go there. It is near Notre Dame.

"I may have been born elsewhere, but Paris will always be my HOMETOWN!" Gertrude Stein

Archived