Caves and claustrophobia

harv1631

My husband is somewhat reluctant to do cave tubing because he gets claustrophobic at times. Generally he only has an issue if he feels like he can't get out and things are very closed in. From what I can tell looking at photos and you tube videos the caves are fairly large. Also many of the videos show that you have some openings with light throughout different areas of the caves. Are there areas of the cave system that are really tight and low or are they fairly large with plenty of room above your head the while time? Has anyone ever had an issue with claustrophobia? He never had this issue until a few years ago. The only things I've seem him not be able to do are water slides that are in an enclosed tube and a closed MRI, which bothers me a little and I'm not claustrophobic.

The caves are pretty huge...both wide and tall. There are tons of places throughout that have openings. You also wear helmets that have lights on it and there are usually plenty of people tubing at the same time that there's always some type of light.

I have 2 reviews listed in my signature line that has tons of pictures if that helps out. :)

If it's any help, I get that way too. But there is a small section that is pitch black so the lights are absolutely necessary. It is not for long and definitely worth it to see the caves and IMHO, the trees around you. I remember researching Belize many years ago and read that some of the largest palm trees in the world are here, and that sealed it for me. Hope you guys try it and have a fantastic time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app