Mary Lou Tours and Lava Flow

wandergal

Probably the best way to get info is to simply get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak, by sending an email inquiry to Mary Lou or whatever tour is booked.

From what I can gather by looking at a map and a couple of websites, the lava flow is not in the immediate vicinity of Highway 11 which is the road entering into Volcanoes National Park. The flow is closer to Hwy 130, which branches off in another direction from Hwy 11, and the town of Pahoa, so it does not appear that touring in the park would be affected. In a worst case scenario, there were plenty of other interesting spots that were on our tour and I am sure that something could be substituted, although it seems unlikely that this would be necessary.

Edited by punkincc

The lava flow will not be a problem for anyone heading from Hilo to VNP. Right now, we are waiting for the lava to cross Pahoa Village Rd. which is just a small street through a little town. After that, it will most likely cross Hwy. 130 which will close that road to through traffic out to the Kalapana area, but not too many tours head in that direction anyway. Right now there is no place to see the flowing lava. It is on private land and the authorities are keeping everyone except the homeowners at a safe distance. Perhaps, in the not too distant future, if the lava crosses Hwy. 130, there will be public viewing areas set up. I am sure tour operators will have the up to the minute info on all of this. Here in the Pahoa area, this is the only topic of conversation right now while we all watch and wait.