do earplanes work

MrsMoose2001

Hi, has anyone used earplanes and do they really work?

thanks

I have used them and they do help a lot. I would suggest buying a couple of packs, unless you have nonstop flights. Maybe its just me, but they didnt seem as effective after 2 or more takeoffs.

Here is another discussion you might find useful on earplanes

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=768075

Hi Liberty, is I may, ask you, did you have no discomfort with a fresh pair? Any feedback would be really appreciated.

I've bought a few packs but it says good for 1 rt flight, but I bought extra incase I loose a pair, I have a non-stop each way, but I plan to use a fresh pair. I have not flown in 18 years because of my ears (and the pain and discomfort) so I want my dream trip to go well (celebration trip also 5 year breast cancer survivor).

thank you

Hi Liberty, is I may, ask you, did you have no discomfort with a fresh pair? Any feedback would be really appreciated.

I've bought a few packs but it says good for 1 rt flight, but I bought extra incase I loose a pair, I have a non-stop each way, but I plan to use a fresh pair. I have not flown in 18 years because of my ears (and the pain and discomfort) so I want my dream trip to go well (celebration trip also 5 year breast cancer survivor).

thank you

Flying out of Dayton Ohio, I cant always get non stop flights, a fresh pack helped a great deal.

I should say that prior to using them, flying was always torture for me. My ears caused me so much pain and remained clogged several hours after landing. With the earplanes I dont have clogged ears and just a minor popping during the flight. Wow..Im sounding like an infomercial :) Since you have a nonstop flight, you should be fine, but just to be safe, use a fresh pair on your return flight.

Congrats on beating Cancer!! Im sure you will have a great flight and cruise!

Hi Liberty,thank you for your kind words. I'm so worried about my ears I'm afraid I'm makeing myself sick, but know that itworked for others help to calm my fears.

I read the thread you sent in your first post and that helped.

It's a non-stop flight for 5-1/2 hours approx. I don't think I would be going if it wasn't non-stop.

If they pop that's a good thing, mine don't want to pop and they hurt and can stay blocked. It's miserable. Idon't drink alcohol, caffine, soft drinks, before a flight,. I'm drinkng only bottled flat water and a lot as dehydration can cause ear probs too, I take a sudafed and I spray with afrin I don't sleep so that I can yawn and swallow, I also have a Rx for flonaise which someone suggestd to start using.

I really hope the earplanes will work. DH has ear probs too and I got him some as well but he is also afraid to fly and wants his drink,lol.

thank you again, know they work is helping me to stay somewhat calm

Mrs.Moose :)

I have used earplanes for years after too many flights where it took 3 days to a week for my ears to pop once I got off the plane! Lately, though, they have not seemed as effective for me, and I have recently switched to spraying Afrin spray into my nose prior to takeoff, and if it is a long flight, I will take a 30 mg Sudafed. That seems to work better for me now. Also, if you wear the earplanes, it is very difficult to hear the flight attendants, to talk to your seatmates, and to wear headphones if you want to watch a movie or listen to music. You also must leave them in for the entire flight! I still pack chewing gum for the final descent! The downside to taking the medicine is that it gives me such a dry mouth for hours on end. No real perfect solution for me!

Although this product doesn't help with your ears plugging up, I also now always use an over the counter product called Airborne. It really has helped keep me from contracting colds from other passengers when I fly, and I also use it when I am around any coworkers with a cold. It is terrific!

I have used earplanes for years after too many flights where it took 3 days to a week for my ears to pop once I got off the plane! Lately, though, they have not seemed as effective for me, and I have recently switched to spraying Afrin spray into my nose prior to takeoff, and if it is a long flight, I will take a 30 mg Sudafed. That seems to work better for me now. Also, if you wear the earplanes, it is very difficult to hear the flight attendants, to talk to your seatmates, and to wear headphones if you want to watch a movie or listen to music. You also must leave them in for the entire flight! I still pack chewing gum for the final descent! The downside to taking the medicine is that it gives me such a dry mouth for hours on end. No real perfect solution for me!

Last year I got an ear infection right before a trip to the West Coast. My doctor recommended using Afrin and Sudafed to get through the flights. As the plane is taxiing out to the runway spray each nostril and just after the plane begins it descent spray again. It definitely helped and now I do it with all my flights as I have bad problems with my ears (I have troubles driving in the mountains because of my ears).

First thank you to all who took the time and trouble to answer me. It is most appreciated.

Wow I too have trouble driving in the mountains because of my ears. I'm glad to hear that these things have worked for you. I used to take actifed before flying and spray with afrin, and will do this on this flight (I have not flown in 18 years). I just pray that my ears will be ok.

Yes, I will take a sudafed and I will spray afrin and I will chew gum, and I will wear the earplanes. I don't care if I can't talk to my hubby to much on the plane and I don't care if I watch a move or not, all I really care about is my ears being ok so will do whatever it takes that they don't hurt and are ok. The rest just doesn't matter.

thanks again

I thought you could take out the ear planes when you reached cruising altitude? I hate having stuff in my ears, but I will do whatever it takes not to have the pain and clogged feeling. The pain for me can be really bad, like a knife going through my ears, I really hope all this will work. Since I have not flown in 18 years, and it's a non stop each way, I bought extra pairs so I can use a fresh pair for each flight as they say new ones work better.

I plan on takeing the airborne to avoid the cold, wear the ear planes, take sudafed and spray afrin and chew gum, and use air right air fliter over my seat? I also have prescription flonaise.

Have I missed anything? does anyone have anything else that they think I should use/be doing to avoid ear problems?

thank you so much for your time and effort to help me and reply to me.

that's great, hopfully between the afrin, sudafed and earpleans, and the gum, I'll be ok with my ears. I just can't handle that kind of pain, anymore

I hope the "new afrin" is the same, it said on the box "new no drip". I live up in Canada now, hope it's the same as the ones y'all get in the US (I'm american, should have bought it when I was there at the pharmacy) :(

thanks everyone

I also use Airborne and swear by it. I used to always get sick after a long flight but no more. I take one just before I get on the plane. I feel for all of you who have ear problems. I had an ear infection just once when flying and thought I would die before the plane landed. How do children with cronic ear infections grow up sane? I wish you the best with the products you decide to use.

I had an ear infection just once when flying and thought I would die before the plane landed. How do children with cronic ear infections grow up sane?

Well, if you ask my mom, she's not sure they do, at least since I decided to go to law school.

As to flying with an ear infection, my worst was Thanksgiving several years ago. I had a bad ear infection plus bronchitis. My seat was in the last row of a 767 and we did a steep nose down descent into Atlanta. I thought I was going to die right there. And I still had to get on another flight to go to Houston.

I also had chronic ear infections as a kid (in addition to tubes and a couple of other surguries). After my worst plane experience (my ear drum actually ripped), I found an excellent ENT doctor.

After getting my allergies under control and using the products above, I haven't had near the problems. The only difference is that I perfer an Advil Cold & Sinus/Affrin combo pre-flight.

I hope your flight is uneventful!

• 2 weeks later...

I suffered to the extent of pain all the way down my neck for years when flying. Like others I also experienced the plugged ears after flights. Earplanes came to the rescue....hallelujah!....no more pain, no more plugged ears afterwards. YES, once you reach altitude you can remove them and put them back in about 40 mins. or so, before landing. Afrin is good, althought it stops me up more by using it, as I have sinus allergies. I can't win them all... :D

Now for Airborne...good product....Bit, do you folks know that using "Neosporin" works also? Just put it around your nostrils before boarding and you will be safe from the air & people with colds circulating in the cabin. The reason is because it's an antibiotic against germs (which can't pass thru it) Learned this from my ENT...and it contains Neomycin which is a great antibiotic. I always wore a mask during a flight, but not anymore and haven't had a problem in years...and I have a immune problem, so I wouldn't suggest this if it didn't work.

Just thought I would pass on this information, as all of us CC folks have great ideas and problems solvers.

TWI ;)

Thank you, yes, the earplanes worked well for both hubby and myself. I still new the min he started the slightest decent, but no pain and no stopped ears afterwards. I should have removed them when reached cruising altitude but they were not blocked up.

Thanks for the tip about neosporin. I will use it when I have to go in crowded areas as I can't always get the Airborne (I'm american living in Canada and airborne is not available up here so can only buy it when I'm down in the USA).

Thanks so much for that tip.

• 3 weeks later...

Boy, can I relate to all of these ear problems...my left ear in particular will not "pop" despite chewing gum, yawning, etc. and ia very painful. I, too, have discovered that Afrin nasal spray helps as well as antihistamine before the flight. By the way, Walmart has just come out with their own brand of Airborne and packaging looks very similar. Airborne is a great idea!

You also must leave them in for the entire flight!

I have used Earplanes on transatlantic flights and they worked great. You do NOT have to leave them in the whole flight, but you DO have to remember to put them back in before descent! I set an alarm on my watch for 1 hr before arrival so I would remember. That was early but I didn't want to forget. The Captain usually makes an announcement that they are beginning their initial descent too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived