Family Suites vs Connecting Rooms

michtrif

Lots of questions from me today.... I'm new here!

We are a family of 5. I can't book (or even look at prices) for a Family Suite online. Does anyone know about what a suite might go for in comparison to an interior stateroom/connecting staterooms? Will it break the bank.

Technically we could all fit in a single cabin- my kids are young- but RC does not allow for this?

I started booking connecting rooms once my kids were 5 and 6. I found I enjoyed the night time ambience better this way than all four of us in a cabin. Legally, my wife would share a room with daughter and I with my son.

One the one occassion we priced a family suite, the price was literally double what two interior rooms were.

I started booking connecting rooms once my kids were 5 and 6. I found I enjoyed the night time ambience better this way than all four of us in a cabin. Legally, my wife would share a room with daughter and I with my son.

One the one occassion we priced a family suite, the price was literally double what two interior rooms were.

This. We are going on FOS next week and had booked 2 connecting rooms for 5 people (3 in one and 2 in the other) because it was cheaper than a suite. Bonus was we were bumped to a family suite because RCCL wanted our rooms for other people. So you never know! I liked the connecting rooms so we didn't have to all go to sleep at the same time and once my youngest was asleep we could hang out in the other room.

We booked on Freedom next April and have a Family Oceanview with 5 people for $3033. We booked when kids were "free" (I use the term loosely), but about $600pp was a price that we felt was decent. We picked room 8200 as it is a lot bigger than regular FO's (so is it's neighbor, 8500). It has a separate master bedoom, separate bunkroom, and very large living room with fold out couch. It's all the way forward (looks out on the helipad), and a lot of walking, but for the extra space I think it will be worth it. I know there is another class, aside from Freedom, that is set up the same way, but I'm not sure which one. Voyager maybe?? I'm sure someone could help me out with that. Here's a youtube video of 8200 so you can get an idea what I'm talking about. Good Luck!:)

We have 3 girls, ages 10, 10, and 11, and have always done 2 cabins. LOL, I say "always", but we have only been on 2 cruises. However, we looked at the family cabins for our cruise next summer, but we really can't imagine having only one bathroom. Our whole reason for cruising is because it's a great way to see so many different places easily, and we spend most of the port days on excursions, so we have a limited amount of time to get showered and dressed for dinner. I can't even imagine how long it would take if there was only one shower for 5 people (4 of those being female)....it would be crazy. We really love having the two bathrooms, and maybe I'm missing something, but from looking at the website, it looks like the family suites only have one bathroom, maybe I'm wrong on that? Plus, as another poster said, it is very nice to have a separate place away from the kids. The room is connecting, but the door can be closed if need be.

I really wish that Royal had more two bathroom/two bedroom family suite options. They have few and for the ones they do have, you could take 3 cruises for the price of one. We booked our family of 5 in two adjoining balcony staterooms. That's just the best value option by an arm and a leg.

Really depends on what sort of deals you can get on the larger Family suites versus 2 balcony rooms. Some family suites have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Adventure on Dec 14th and picked up a Royal Family Suite about 2 weeks ago (2 bedrooms / 2 bathrooms) for $3587 for 3 of us. This seems to be a great deal. The same suite at the end of January is almost $6,600 for 3 using the buy one / get one half off.

I believe the extra passengers are about $600 so a party of 5 would have been about $4,800.

I just looked and getting 2 balcony rooms for 5 on this cruise would be about $3,800 (using the buy one / get one half off promotion still).

The Royal Family suite area is: 561 sq. ft., balcony 246 sq. ft

Each Balcony stateroom area is: 179 sq. ft., balcony 52 sq. ft.

Both Balcony rooms = 358 sq ft, balcony 104 sq ft.

So you can see the Royal Family suite has over 200 more sq. ft. compared to the two outside balcony staterooms.

For an extra $1000 for a party of 5 ($200 per person) you would get all the extra space, plus suite privileges, plus double Crown & Anchor points.

The only problem is many of these great deals may not be available far in advance or for more popular sailing times like next summer.

We are a family of 5 also (kids ages 10, 13, 17). We did connecting OV on Freedom and it worked great to have the two bathrooms, plus a door that could be opened and closed between the rooms.

We are doing Adventure in March and booked an FOV because it was much cheaper with the kids sail free promo than two rooms. We have cabin 8200 which is near the front and has a weird shape but a lot more square footage than a regular FOV. There is also a King bed in a separate area that can be closed in with a curtain. At least offers a little privacy over the usual set-up. I think we will miss the extra bathroom though... We'll see! Best of luck...

We stayed in a Family Promenade on Freedom and really liked it. Walk in closet, bathtub, bunkbed area for the kids and a pull out sofa. It was similar in price to connecting inside rooms. We are doing Family Inside on Oasis next year too.

Here is a video of the Family Promenade on Freedom:

Thanks to all who have posted, this is great information. We just booked our first cruise ever and choose the Freedom. We went with a family ocean view (7200) for the 6 of us because it was cheaper than booking 2 inside rooms on any cruiseline (carnival included) for the week we are going (Feb 8-15) If you have a family of 5 or 4 it may be a better deal to get the 2 rooms.

I think we are going to wish we had two bathrooms come formal night as 3 of our 4 kids are girls. I thinks it's going to be me and the little guy (7yo) getting ready early and getting out of dodge before the formal procession of hair and makeup and clothing begins.

I'm looking forward to the front view out of the bedroom in the mornings as we pull into port. I think it will be tight for 6 but think we will rarely be in the room so it won't make much of a difference and it will be more space than our Motor Coach has and we do just fine with 6 of us on that.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

I really wish that Royal had more two bathroom/two bedroom family suite options. They have few and for the ones they do have, you could take 3 cruises for the price of one. We booked our family of 5 in two adjoining balcony staterooms. That's just the best value option by an arm and a leg.

Agree completely, which is why we always book two balcony cabins. Most of the time, we are able to have the wall on the balcony removed and we have a huge balcony but the biggest incentive is the bathrooms and the price difference. We always price both and have yet to get a lower price or the family suite.

They have large showers and a great supply of towels in the gym. You might want to consider making this where you and your son get ready, leaving the one bathroom for all the girly stuff.

I don't believe a 7 year old boy would be allowed in the women's change rooms.

We went with two connecting rooms for our cruise in March because no family rooms were available, plus 2 bathrooms will be wonderful. Last year on Carnival we did two connecting balcony cabins (connect through the balcony, not the rooms) but we couldn't swing the price this time.

We always book two cabins but chose a balcony for the wife and I and a promenade across the hall for the kids, we have 3. It worked well to use the bay window seat in the promenade for our youngest to sleep on. Just ask the steward for extra bedding. We were apprehensive to allow the kids in a balcony. We also make the room steward aware of the arrangement so they keep an eye out for any late night escapes from the room, though we have never had our kids attempt it. We also make sure the kids have a key for our cabin and we for theirs. It has been a great arrangement.

Really depends on what sort of deals you can get on the larger Family suites versus 2 balcony rooms. Some family suites have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

We are taking a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Adventure on Dec 14th and picked up a Royal Family Suite about 2 weeks ago (2 bedrooms / 2 bathrooms) for $3587 for 3 of us. This seems to be a great deal. The same suite at the end of January is almost $6,600 for 3 using the buy one / get one half off.

I believe the extra passengers are about $600 so a party of 5 would have been about $4,800.

I just looked and getting 2 balcony rooms for 5 on this cruise would be about $3,800 (using the buy one / get one half off promotion still).

The Royal Family suite area is: 561 sq. ft., balcony 246 sq. ft

Each Balcony stateroom area is: 179 sq. ft., balcony 52 sq. ft.

Both Balcony rooms = 358 sq ft, balcony 104 sq ft.

So you can see the Royal Family suite has over 200 more sq. ft. compared to the two outside balcony staterooms.

For an extra $1000 for a party of 5 ($200 per person) you would get all the extra space, plus suite privileges, plus double Crown & Anchor points.

The only problem is many of these great deals may not be available far in advance or for more popular sailing times like next summer.

One time when we tried to book the Royal Family Suite for 4, we were told there had to be a minimum of 5. Hmmmm?

So for our Adventure cruise next June we booked 2 afts (they are not ajoining) but one is a corner and this made my husband very happy.

Thanks to all who have posted, this is great information. We just booked our first cruise ever and choose the Freedom. We went with a family ocean view (7200) for the 6 of us because it was cheaper than booking 2 inside rooms on any cruiseline (carnival included) for the week we are going (Feb 8-15) If you have a family of 5 or 4 it may be a better deal to get the 2 rooms.

I think we are going to wish we had two bathrooms come formal night as 3 of our 4 kids are girls. I thinks it's going to be me and the little guy (7yo) getting ready early and getting out of dodge before the formal procession of hair and makeup and clothing begins.

I'm looking forward to the front view out of the bedroom in the mornings as we pull into port. I think it will be tight for 6 but think we will rarely be in the room so it won't make much of a difference and it will be more space than our Motor Coach has and we do just fine with 6 of us on that.

-Sean

Sean,

I'm not sure if 7200 is the same size as 8200. You may want to check out 8200 (video a few posts up) or 8500 if they are available- just for the extra room.

We stayed in a Family Promenade on Freedom and really liked it. Walk in closet, bathtub, bunkbed area for the kids and a pull out sofa. It was similar in price to connecting inside rooms. We are doing Family Inside on Oasis next year too.

Here is a video of the Family Promenade on Freedom:

This is great! Thanks for sharing. That space look like it would be PERFECT for my family. But I have to wonder, is it noisy at night when you have a Promenade room?

Not all who post here are women :D

-Sean (Like Sean Connery, Sean Penn...etc)

(That was meant to be humorous)

LOL!!! You got me there! For some reason I assumed the poster was a woman :D

That said, 7 year old kids may not be allowed to use the gym shower facilities, even with parents. I think it varies by ship.

One time when we tried to book the Royal Family Suite for 4, we were told there had to be a minimum of 5. Hmmmm?

So for our Adventure cruise next June we booked 2 afts (they are not ajoining) but one is a corner and this made my husband very happy.

The Family Suites open up as available too as few a 2 people sometimes when they haven't sold after final payments. I know, I have gotten a deal on them 3 different times with only 2 people and once with 3.

Sean,

I'm not sure if 7200 is the same size as 8200. You may want to check out 8200 (video a few posts up) or 8500 if they are available- just for the extra room.

Thanks!

We are on the wait list for those two. They were already booked when we checked. It would be nice but to us it doesn't really matter. I think we will see our room for a total of about 8 hours each day and 7 of those hours will be with eyes closed ;)

-Sean