Reasonable hotel(s) in Seattle, WA for July 2015 cruise

kmarcin

I have booked our first family cruise (including my wife, 18 yr. old daughter and 15 yr. old son) in order to celebrate my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary (they are the reason we are going). We are leaving July 21, 2015 on an Alaskan cruise on the Carnival Legend.

Since we are arriving in Seattle the day before our departure, we will need to stay in a hotel room overnight in Seattle near the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal. Can anyone provide me with the name and address of a reasonable (i.e. less than $200/night) hotel that won't cost me an arm and a leg for a cab ride? I have searched the forums, but have not been able to find the information I need. Thanks in advance.

Keith

I have booked our first family cruise (including my wife, 18 yr. old daughter and 15 yr. old son) in order to celebrate my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary (they are the reason we are going). We are leaving July 21, 2015 on an Alaskan cruise on the Carnival Legend.

Since we are arriving in Seattle the day before our departure, we will need to stay in a hotel room overnight in Seattle near the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal. Can anyone provide me with the name and address of a reasonable (i.e. less than $200/night) hotel that won't cost me an arm and a leg for a cab ride? I have searched the forums, but have not been able to find the information I need. Thanks in advance.

Keith

The hotels by the airport are the cheapest. In order to see any of seattle you would either need to take a cab, or the train into the city. When we went on the Alaska cruise, we stayed in the city at the warwick, which was a great location and was around 160.00 bucks a night. I would recommend that. We called one of the transport companies for transportation to the port and it was about 18 per person from there.. Depends on what you want... airport, you have really nothing to see around there, or being in the city, where you can see a little before you cruise

The hotels by the airport are the cheapest. In order to see any of seattle you would either need to take a cab, or the train into the city. When we went on the Alaska cruise, we stayed in the city at the warwick, which was a great location and was around 160.00 bucks a night. I would recommend that. We called one of the transport companies for transportation to the port and it was about 18 per person from there.. Depends on what you want... airport, you have really nothing to see around there, or being in the city, where you can see a little before you cruise

Bigdog- thanks for the advice. Depending upon what kind of flight I can book (non-stop or with layovers), I'm not sure how much time we will have for sightseeing. Staying at a hotel near the airport is a good idea since we can just stay there and then take a cab to Pier 91 the next day. Many of the hotels in downtown Seattle are gong for $250+/night.

Pick something you can live with and make a reservation while shopping around. Prices only go up as the hotels fill up.

We stayed at the Radisson Seatac for about $136 (155 with tax) and it was going for over $200 by the time we cruised.

Free airport transportation and they arranged transportation to the port for $14pp.

Right next door is 13 Coins restaurant - upscale and open 24 hours!

Pick something you can live with and make a reservation while shopping around. Prices only go up as the hotels fill up.

We stayed at the Radisson Seatac for about $136 (155 with tax) and it was going for over $200 by the time we cruised.

Free airport transportation and they arranged transportation to the port for $14pp.

Right next door is 13 Coins restaurant - upscale and open 24 hours!

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the Radisson and see what kind of rates I can get. I don't have a problem booking a hotel early, I just didn't know if there was an economical hotel near the departure port.

There are no hotels right by the new cruise terminal because it's not directly in downtown Seattle. All of the hotels in downtown Seattle are going to be expensive, especially during cruise season.

If you're not interested in playing tourist in Seattle, then stay at a hotel at the airport that will arrange transportation for you to the cruise terminal at a discounted price (and offer a free breakfast, I love that). Otherwise, we have something called Shuttle Express that can transport you anywhere you want (Google it).

Be advised that the downtown waterfront is beginning a huge construction project to re-build the seawall that's been there since the late 1800's and is falling apart. Most of the waterfront shops are closed during this construction period. Probably not a good time to play tourist. But the Pike Place Market will still be open. It's not too far from the cruise terminal but not within walking distance.

You could always check your bags in at the cruise terminal, drop off your carry-ons and then take the tram to the Pike Place Market.

We've stayed at Sleep Inn Seatac many, many times - both prior to and after our cruise (or flight from Anchorage). Free shuttle to and from the airport and the Light Rail station, also free shuttle to area restaurants (within 3 or 4 miles, I think), free breakfast, very clean and large rooms, reasonable rates ($80.00 per night on our pre-cruise this past May 17th, and then $100.00 per night post cruise this past June 1st), and an IHOP across the parking lot.

We then use Seattle Express Shuttle Service ($12.00 per person) to take us to Pier 91, and then again back to the hotel following the cruise.

Have a wonderful trip - you're going to love it. The beauty and majesty of the Great Land is what keeps us returning year after year, both on cruises and land only trips. Enjoy!

There are no hotels nr Smith Cove. Pier 91 is located in an industrial type area about 5 miles north of the downtown core. A cab to the pier from anywhere downtown will only run about $20.

The least expensive area to stay is by the airport, but about 1/2 hr from the city. As suggested by the previous post, the Sleep Inn gets good reviews on this forum.

If you arrive early enough in the day to do a little sightseeing, you can take the Light Rail from SeaTac to downtown for only $3pp. Ride it to the last stop which is Westlake Center. From Westlake you can take the monorail to the Space Needle or you can walk 2 blocks to visit Pike Place Market.

Hotels near the Seattle Center/Space Needle as they tend to be cheaper than the downtown core. ie Hampton Inn, HolidayInnExpress, Maxwell. The monorail can take you downtown in less than 5 minutes, or a cab will be around $15. The Lake Union area is another place to check, altho prices have really risen due to Amazon and other major companies closeby. ( Silver Cloud, Residence Inn).

It's more expensive then than the Sleep Inn, but Cedarbrook Lodge looks to be having a special. It's near the airport but in a lovely park-like setting.

Cedarbrook is on the list for the Seattle Express shuttle to the pier so $12pp.

6 people with luggage would need 2 taxis. If you reserved with eastsideforhire.com and got a minivan for 4 and prius for 2, it would probably cost about the same price but you would have flexibility over the departure time, so either/or.

Another vote for Sleep Inn and Shuttle Express.

The wife and I did our cruise in 2012. Arrived in Seattle before noon the day before. Took our stuff to the hotel, checked in. Then took the free shuttle to the light rail station. Rode it to the end. Then took the monorail to Seattle Center and hit up the Space Needle and walked around the area. Back to Downtown where we walked over to Pikes Peak and walked around the piers. Had dinner at some place (see review in the signature) and then got back on the light rail to the airport where the shuttle picked us up again and we proceeded to crash.

Next morning Shuttle Express picked us up and off to the terminal we went. When we do Alaska again, that is my plan assuming we leave from Seattle. Or even if we go from Vancouver will fly into Seattle visit for a day then take a bus or the train up to Vancouver and play tourist up there too before the cruise.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. It looks like we'll be staying at a hotel near the SEA TAC airport.

Currently, the rate for 4 at the Sleep Inn in July 2015 is running $139 + tax. We may use points (we have a membership with Choice Privileges) to pay for our one night stay.

I travel in and out of Seattle many times of the year- if you go on priceline- 3 or 3.5 star hotel- airport area- you will likely get one that is close to the light rail- either Doubleree, Raddison, Holiday Inn (very nice) or Hilton (changed name to Crown Plaza- The summer rates are higher than winter- but they are all nice.

Be forwarded. The 2015 US Open Golf is going be held in Tacoma/University Place area next summer, the week of June 18th. With 230,000 spectators, thousands of volunteers, media, players & families and USGA staff descending on the course daily. Tacoma/University Place is not a resort destination or a major city which means that spectators from all over North America will be scrambling for hotel rooms. Hotel rooms will be at a premium even up in the Seattle area a week or two before and after the US Open. I plan on taking a cruise that week, or at least be out of the area.

• 3 weeks later...

We are scheduled in September and will be staying at Day's Inn SEA-TAC - booked through Southwest website for the lowest price - yes lower than booking direct - for a refundable rate of 54.00 a night +tax - free breakfast, shuttle to/from airport and booked transfers from airport to ship via cruise line for less than staying downtown. Yes it is a ways from downtown and you have to take the light rail to go into downtown but figure we can afford to rent a car and see some of the outlying things this trip - like the Bowing factory north of Seattle.

We are scheduled in September and will be staying at Day's Inn SEA-TAC - booked through Southwest website for the lowest price - yes lower than booking direct - for a refundable rate of 54.00 a night +tax - free breakfast, shuttle to/from airport and booked transfers from airport to ship via cruise line for less than staying downtown. Yes it is a ways from downtown and you have to take the light rail to go into downtown but figure we can afford to rent a car and see some of the outlying things this trip - like the Bowing factory north of Seattle.

That is a GREAT price! That hotel actually gets pretty good reviews compared to other budget-priced hotels in the area. I live nearby and it's not a bad part of International Boulevard (I had my mom and elderly aunts stay there when they came for my wedding!) You can always hop the shuttle back to the airport and get on the light rail there. You scored!

I booked the Best Western Loyal Inn for the Friday night before our 7/11/15 cruise - got 3 rooms for $218/room. Is this place nice? Near stuff?

You may find the area immediately around the hotel a wee bit sketchy unless you're a seasoned big city traveler. It's convenient for all Seattle Center attractions (Space Needle, EMP, Science center etc) and monorail to downtown; plenty of good dining around Queen Anne area just the other side of Seattle Center; and you're 2 blocks straight down 8th to our fave Seattle resto, Mistral.

• 3 weeks later...
We've stayed at Sleep Inn Seatac many, many times - both prior to and after our cruise (or flight from Anchorage). Free shuttle to and from the airport and the Light Rail station, also free shuttle to area restaurants (within 3 or 4 miles, I think), free breakfast, very clean and large rooms, reasonable rates ($80.00 per night on our pre-cruise this past May 17th, and then $100.00 per night post cruise this past June 1st), and an IHOP across the parking lot.

We then use Seattle Express Shuttle Service ($12.00 per person) to take us to Pier 91, and then again back to the hotel following the cruise.

Have a wonderful trip - you're going to love it. The beauty and majesty of the Great Land is what keeps us returning year after year, both on cruises and land only trips. Enjoy!

Another vote for Sleep Inn SeaTac (just booked for $87, room for 2 people, which includes tax, for May 28) and Seattle Express (they will also take you back to the airport, instead of the hotel, after the cruise) at $12 per person.

I also noticed that the original poster was from Strongsville, OH so I presume that you'll use Cleveland Hopkins Airport. We just booked our flights on Southwest from there at $790 for 2 of us roundtrip.