Any Embera Villiage tours that are inky a half day?

jkgourmet

I don't think that is doable. Celebrity's schedule shows you will be in Colon from 10A to 7P, the tours to the Embera villages generally run upwards of 8 hours, I don't think there is anyway to trim that time. Even if you go to one of closer villages, you should still allow 1.5 hours ground transportation each way, plus the time for the boat ride to village which may vary. Now add time for the actual stop at the village... the day is pretty well spoken for.

Thanks to both of you. And sadly, that's what I was afraid you would say. :(:(:(

Richard (or others), we are are a group of four seniors, two with some walking issues. We are not interested in a full day tour. We are not museum or art aficionados.

Any suggestions?

The only tour I can think of off hand and I can't find what Celebrity calls it (their web site won't let me see what tours are available) but it is an excursion that takes you to Gatun Locks and the observation center at the construction site of the new locks. This tour probably only takes about 4 hours so it is not an all day affair. The one problem is the observation platform at Gatun Locks is on the upper level. You enter the locks in the middle level and there are stairs to negotiate to get to the observation platform. This need not be a deal killer as one could stay in the middle level area where you can hear the narration and see most of the operation while you look at some of the equipment displays.

Then it is back on the bus for a short ride to the observation area for the construction site of the new locks. There you will find a great view of the new locks along with video presentations and an area where you can purchase refresments.

The only other suggestion is a tour that is usually called something like the Shaping of Panama. This tour is mostly a bus ride to the Pacific side where you drive through the ruins of Old Panama and modern day Panama City. Part of the tour takes you to El Casco Viejo which is where the city was rebuilt after Henry Morgan sacked Old Panama. There is walking here for a short distance, but I'm sure those who did not wish to walk could stay on the bus. This tour is probably closer to 8 hours, but mostly on the bus.

Hope you can find something.

Bill, your presence on this board is most appreciated.

We will look into the two suggestions you made. But, if I said to you that we would like to not do a tour and just go into 'town' to have lunch in a place with local food and drink, walk around, do a little shopping, taste a bit of the local flavor - what would you say to that?

That is EXACTLY what we do at most port stops. The Embera Village's were the only thing that made us cinsuder doing a tour, Now, since they are eliminated unkess we accept a 8-9 hour trip, we think maybe outior trips will work in Panama too?

The Panama Railway tour might be ideal. You board the train in Colon. Short bus transfer to station, and only a few steps up to board the train. Train takes about 2 hours across to Balboa where you disembark on a platform - no steps, walk down a ramp to board the bus again. Various tours offer some additional bus tour around old Panama Canal Zone areas before returning back to ship. Gives you a chance to see some of Panama. The railway is designed to move containers so isn't necessarily a route right next to the Canal, but you do see nice glimpses of the Canal and some of the adjoining areas, and pass through some jungle where, according to one cruise line's description you can "look for sloths, monkeys and toucans" ... as the train whizzes along! You can "look" all you want! The dome car is usually sold out in advance for a premium price. I'm not sure the dome car itself is worth it. The regular cars are very nice and the view is pretty much the same. It's an easy and comfortable way to see some of Panama while you are here.

Regards, Richard

cropped-panama-canal-cruise-23.jpg?w=584

cropped-panama-canal-cruise-21.jpg?w=584

The only place that you could do a little walking around in Colon is at the shopping mall that is connected to the pier where you will be docked. That area is safe and I would think you could find something to eat, but I really can't give you any recommendation as to a place. You don't want to leave the mall area unless you are with a tour group or at the very least a taxi, Colon is not the place to do any on your own sightseeing. Colon has always been a pretty rough place even when I lived in the area and it has not improved any since I left.