Special Needs services on the Epic

cruise_family

I was wondering if anyone had information on any of these things please:

Pre-boarding (or priority boarding, not sure of the term) - what time do pre-boarders go on.

Muster Drill - with Disney we were allowed to have a private muster drill away from the people with other special needs families.

Getting off the ship at port (or tender) whether there is priority for these. Disney was not too bad to be honest as we used the forward doors and not many people used these.

I have to say this is the one part of NCL which is irritating me as I have to prepare my son for sailing with another company, they told me we are down for private muster and also pre-boarding but they would mail me 'a few days before the cruise' but we will be leaving the UK a few days before our cruise and I do not know whether I will be able to access my emails. I also need to book cabs to the port but do not know what times to get them for if I cannot access my emails. The guy just seems to be 'irritated' in his replies when I have asked about times and has not given any other information.

It's great that we can pre-book our seats at shows as we miss them otherwise because of the waiting.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did, the reply email was toned as if he was irritated by my asking the question. I did tell him that we would be leaving the UK a few days before the cruise but he just replied again to say the information I needed would be with me 'a few days before the cruise'.

Kind of disappointed with their attitude tbh so thought I would ask to have a rough idea of when to be ready to leave the hotel for the port.

We recently boarded with someone with a leg fracture and we were directed to a waiting area designated for special boarding. This will be the first group to board behind any suite or VIP guests before general boarding is called. Assuming you are checked in before general boarding starts which I think is probably around 11:00 am, but it may vary. If this will not meet your needs, you can discuss it with the Access Dept to make other arrangements.

You might look at the thread titled "Breakaway 12 year old disability specialty or MDR faster", currently near the top of the board. In it, rocky55 responds they were helped through security and check in, received a private life boat drill, etc.

I assume you completed the Special Needs questionaire, but it was not clear whether or not you had a conversation with anyone by phone. The number is 866-584-9756. From information listed in the thread I mentioned, it appears that a detailed discussion will take place prior to the cruise. And once aboard you should expect to be met by an assigned staff person with all your info who will be available to you throughout the cruise. I would call and keep calling until you get your answers if you are soon leaving home to travel.

Thanks for the last couple of replies, that was most helpful thanks. I did not realise there was a special needs board, I have not been on here long and have just stuck to this page and the roll call.

Also thank you for the info you have given me about the boarding times, I will arrange to get there for around 10am then and I will take my email that says we have the SA and if the info does not arrive then I will just find someone and ask them.

I have not filled in the questionnaire as my booking could not be made online and someone emailed me with prices, then called me and, after this, emailed me with an address for the access department so my request was just by email. I had asked whether they did a private muster drill and this is when I got the irritated reply. I assumed as there was not a 'no' on the email that they did do it.

Thanks again for your help. x

We have sailed NCL numerous times with our 8 year old high functioning autistic daughter and honestly I think NCL did a wonderful job, much better than Disney. We were allowed to stay in our cabin for the muster drill. My husband brought down all our cards with him. We didn't need preboarding as we were in a suite. Contact the special needs desk and they should take care of everything. Also just to be on the safe side, confirm with Guest Services once you board. They put a note in the computer about our daughter and it would come up at all the restaurants so we didn't have to wait long for a seat and they were always very kind and went out of their way for her. Enjoy your cruise!