Le Havre to Paris

Busyma

Hi:

Would anyone have some suggestions for a good tour company who they have used that provides this excursion?

Presumably pick up and return from the port and major sightseeing in Paris within the 13 hours the ship is there that day.

Thank you,

Wendy

From memory, the trip organised by the cruise line seems the best way. It is a 2½ hour drive minimum and the roads around Paris can be quite congested. The ship's tour gives you peace of mind that it won't sail without you.

Edited by Bob++

We were in Le Havre and took the Celebrity cruise ship bus excursion to Paris. We left the port at 9am and the ride took about 2 1/2 hours to get to Paris. We were taken to all the major sights of Paris, but viewed them only from the window. We did get out for a photo shot of the Eiffel Tower. We were then taken to the most popular square in Paris, Place de la Concorde, and we were dropped off for time on our own to do as we wished for three hours. The bus driver walked us to the taxi stand and pointed us in the direction of what we were interested in seeing. if we preferred to walk it. We met the bus back at the square and returned to the ship.

We made a few mistakes on this tour. Mistake #1, our group of 4 chose to walk it. Our time was limited to three hours, so we should have hopped a cab so we could get more in. Mistake #2, some of our group needed an ATM machine and we spent a good half hour walking the blocks of Paris looking for an ATM. So get your money before you go as they are hard to find there. Mistake #3, we found many quaint cafe's with out side eating (small) for lunch, but we choose to go to the Louvre and eat in the lower section. It was nothing more then a food court you would find in the States.

We are returning to Le Havre in April and we have decided to take the ship bus once again, however this tour we will take the 5 hour private time that just drives you in, drops you off and takes you back. I am hoping to find a private tour company in Paris that will pick us up where the bus drops us off and takes us around for the 5 hours and then brings us back to the bus stop.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi:

Thanks for the advice.

Do you think most people enjoyed the day trip or is it just too hectic?

What did you think? Was it worth the time and money?

Wendy

We've stopped off at Lehavre twice and and both times we chose not to do the Paris excursion because 3 hours in Paris is not enough and 5+ hours on a bus was not how I wanted to spend my $400+. For me, it would of been like going to Disneyland and not getting on any of the rides. Our dinner mates did take the excursion and enjoyed it as they felt it may be their only opportunity to see Paris.

On our 1st trip we rented a car and did the D-day experience as the ship did not offer a Canadian version at that time.

On our trip this past September my plan was to do the D-day experience from the American landing beaches but I was not looking forward to the 90 minute drive each way and I prefer to DIY if possible.

We booked a rental car that was dockside and were on our way within 20 minutes north to Etretat which was beautiful and spent the morning there. We then drove south to Honfleur and spent the afternoon there. We has a relaxing day visiting "small town" france. We dropped the car off on the dock and it was easy peasey.

Driving in this part of France is not difficult or stressful when compared to any North American large city. Just rent an "english" gps and you're all set.

We used Christophe Burtaire of http://www.driverguidefrance.com/ a couple of years ago when we docked Lehavre. At that time he picked us up at the ship and drove us to Paris for the day. We had an amazing day with Christophe and got to see all on our wish list. He no longer does ship pickups but he is still a tour guide based in Paris. If u are interested, his contact info is on his website. We had about 5 hours in Paris before we headed back to the ship. It is a long drive but was so worth it to us. Christophe is a wonderful tour guide and I highly recommend him!

There is also a hop on bus tour that people have recommended and inexpensive as well.