What kind of partying does HAL do on New Years Eve?

Hflors

Oh boy...wasn't that a party!! On New Year's Eve on the Ryndam last year! The lido pool was closed off for hours before while the staff worked so hard to transform it. There was free champaign (and non-alcoholic too), a dessert buffet and finger food, free party hats and noise makers, a live countdown with the captain, music, dancing, ice sculptures....

So much fun we would do it again. Dinner was formal and the whole ship was in such a good mood!

My birthday is on dec 30th and I can rarely get away for long because I'm an accountant and its year end:rolleyes:. I decided that I deserved it on my 50th birthday a couple years ago. I did a princess cruise and it was great! They had music all over the ship and a few rocking parties. I'm not a huge new year person and I planned to be in bed by midnight but I had a great time! Somehow I can't see hal throwing such a party but I could be wrong. Would love to do another one some day. OP, I think it would be fun.

My birthday is on dec 30th and I can rarely get away for long because I'm an accountant and its year end:rolleyes:. I decided that I deserved it on my 50th birthday a couple years ago. I did a princess cruise and it was great! They had music all over the ship and a few rocking parties. I'm not a huge new year person and I planned to be in bed by midnight but I had a great time! Somehow I can't see hal throwing such a party but I could be wrong. Would love to do another one some day. OP, I think it would be fun.

I think you would be surprised. Hal throws a great New Years Party.

I think you would be surprised. Hal throws a great New Years Party.

Good to know. That said, I like that hal is more quiet. I don't want to give the impression that I think that it's a negative. I know some posters like to rip me a new one for everything I say that could be taken as negative. Just to clarify I don't mean you.

We had a great NYE party on the Amsterdam in 2012/3. It was formal night and an international dinner in the MDR I think from memory. There were Dutch & Indonesian treats in atrium area from around 10pm, and a big countdown party in the showroom. We were given new year hats for the men and tiaras for the ladies along with horns and those rattle shake things that make a noise, to use at midnight when the balloons and confetti were released from high above with a bang. They had DJ music and we were allowed to dance on the stage which was fun. There were decorations all over and it was a great festive atmosphere all around the ship. The crew and passengers were all having a good time. I'd love to have New Years on a ship again!

Good to know. That said, I like that hal is more quiet. I don't want to give the impression that I think that it's a negative. I know some posters like to rip me a new one for everything I say that could be taken as negative. Just to clarify I don't mean you.

Agreed. I'm about to do my 6th NYE in a row on HAL out of Sydney and it may be the age group involved but the festivities have been reasonably low key. One year they tried to put everyone into the big theatre and it was a fiasco. The next year they did get people up on deck but everything was finished by 20mins after midnight. Mostly they just seems to put an enterrtainer into a few lounges and do very little on deck, which I have always felt is a shame. But, as I said, with the age group this cruise gets each year I doubt even 50% of the passengers make it to midnight. The only other NYE at sea I have had was on Rhapsody of the Seas and that was definitely livelier than HAL.

We celebrated Christmas and NYE on our holiday cruise last year on the Amsterdam and were really impressed. There were parties in the piano bar, Crow's Nest, and the main showroom, which was the biggest of the three. If you've ever been on one of the longer cruises where they have a ball on the formal nights, it was very similar to that. The Queen's Lounge was decorated, officers danced with passengers, champagne (sparkling wine) was flowing, and there was a balloon drop at midnight. In the atrium, they had a buffet with international fare prior to and after the party. There was also a special dinner that night, with a special NYE menu, similar to formal night offerings. The MDR was decorated, and there were hats and noisemakers at each place setting. I believe there was champagne (sparkling wine) served at dinner also.

We've also celebrated NYE on Princess and it wasn't nearly as nice as it was on HAL IMHO. Some of the same elements were there - balloon drop, party in the atrium, etc. - but HAL's just felt a little classier with nicer touches. We're looking forward to celebrating Christmas and NYE onboard the Prinsendam this December, too. :)

We are thinking of adding the 7 days on our cruise on Ryndam which falls over New Years Eve. Does HAL have any special events on New Years Eve?

Well, for one, we'll be there! :D:eek::rolleyes:

Our 2012/13 NYE cruise on Ryndam was just as 1of4 has pictured, we had a great time and anticipate the same this year. Join us!