Oasis of the Seas TA cabin crawl - drive the ship photos and review

Our review as sent to:

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines

Attn: Adam Goldstein, President and CEO

My husband and I just returned from our first RCI cruise on board the Oasis of the Seas. We are still relatively new to to cruising with 7 prior cruises on 4 different cruise lines, but at this time we are still sampling what the various cruise lines have to offer as well as which size/class of ships we like.

First of all, the Oasis of the Seas is truly an impressive ship and engineering marvel. The concept of the various neighborhoods is quite unique, and we soon found that our favorite spots were in Central Park and the Solarium. If we wanted to avoid the crowds, we hid out behind the Rock wall rigging area. We were also very impressed with the large forward ocean-view cabin (10500) and the unique view overlooking the helicopter pad. We actually used our room for a “drive the ship” photo opportunity during the Cabin Crawl for almost 100 people.

The dinner in the main dining room (deck 3) was very good and the service by Ramazan and Jennifer was exceptional. However, we also enjoyed three wonderful dinners at Chops Grille with good wine and exemplary service provided by Juanito.

We also had an opportunity to sample Sabor. My husband usually does not like Mexican cuisine, but after experiencing fresh table side guacamole and amazing quesadillas, he actually suggested going back a second time for another meal.

The headliner shows as well as RCI production shows were some of the best we have seen at sea. We especially enjoyed Grafiti Classics and the sand artist (Frozen in Time).

However, there were a lot of little things that really took the “WOW” out of our cruise.

1. Online booking on Cruise Planner was not possible for this intraport cruise. Whenever we called RCI, the agents seemed surprised at that isolated problem. However, after speaking to many other passengers on board, it seems that most/all of us boarding in Southampton were unable to use the cruise planner. Maybe the IT department should work on a fix to the glitch or intraport cruise should be offered as back-to-back cruise.
  2. Embarkation was utter chaos and dangerous. Regardless of who was to blame for the delays in boarding in Southampton, the boarding process could have been made a lot smoother with better communication. With a little forethought and some stanchions and signs, designated waiting areas could have been created for the approximately 3975 members of the various C&A levels. With so many passengers thinking that they are “special” and needed to be at the head of the line for priority boarding, it creates a dangerous situation.
    There seemed to be no RCI employees around the cruise terminal to assist with embarkation. During the 2 ½ to 3 hours we spent waiting outside the terminal, only one RCI representative was seen intermittently while ushering VIPs into the terminal. At one time there were four elderly ladies banging on the window while the port employees hid inside texting.
  3. Muster Drill. The fitness center is curious choice. While it makes a lot of sense due to its location, it was very crowded and with no real seating. This was particularly difficult for the mostly older crowd already tired from standing outside the terminal for several hours. For most passengers it was virtually impossible to view either of the 2 TV monitors to see any of the safety information. Also, it seemed unusual to have the muster drill at 16:30, while passengers were still boarding.

1. Seapasses not being scanned at doors. When we arrived about 15 minutes before the Frozen in Time Ice Show, there was nobody at the door checking Seapasses for reservations. Needless to say, the venue was packed with no seats left and we ended up having to stand. Many of us with reservations were not too happy and the employee that was sent to take care of us was a nurse from the medical facility with no answers. Another employee, Kristen, apparently from guest services, came over and took our cabin numbers and assured us that the situation would be addressed and a supervisor would contact us within a day. We never heard from anyone. We did notice on other occasions that the Seapasses were only randomly and haphazardly scanned and checked for reservations.

1. C&A loyalty levels and perks. While it is great that most/all cruise lines offer some sort of perks for their loyal customers we feel that RCI has taken this to a whole new level. After the embarkation process at Southampton, we realized to what extreme passengers valued their “status”. Once on the ship the “segregation” became even more obvious with many areas off limit for anyone that has not reached at least Diamond level. This “segregation” created some awkwardness among the passengers.
  2. Johnny Rockets offered an excellent breakfast, however the service was definitely lacking. The host/hostess were often missing for long times with lines forming outside yet available seating, the waitstaff did not appear to want to be there, and it proved impossible get a full glass of orange juice.
  3. The RCI official Meet and Mingle was an embarrassment. At first it was rescheduled to another day/venue without any prior notice. We actually received the notice of the change 2 hours after the original scheduled time. The venue was changed to Studio B, “Due to the large size of the group”. As a reminder, the event is called meet and MINGLE, and that is not possible in a setting such as Studio B. Maybe another venue, such as one of the dining rooms, the conference center, the solarium area, etc, would have been better suited for such an event. (The ice rink does have carpet for events.) The only ship's staff to attend was the activities manager and two assistants to help with the raffle. Conspicuously absent, during this event as well as the remainder of the cruise, were any officers or managers.
  4. There seemed to be lines wherever we went. It started with the line to board, continued with lines while waiting to get a table at breakfast, very long lines to get in to the lecture, constant lines a guest services, lines at the Promenade Cafe to get a snack, lines to get into a show, and ended with lines to get off the ship in Fort Lauderdale.
  5. The apparently understaffed crew seemed confused and ill prepared for this unusual cruise/itinerary, and RCI evidently did not take into consideration the different passenger demographic for this cruise or the additional sea days. The crew seemed to run this cruise just as any other 7 night Caribbean cruise. It seemed the staff was always 2 steps behind the curve. For example, the forensics lecture started out at ON-Air, but within days there was standing room only. It took the crew several more days to relocate the lecture to the much larger Studio B - and only after begging by many of passenger.

To summarize, we did thoroughly enjoy this magnificent ship, especially the Central Park and Solarium, and the shows were among the best at sea. The specialty restaurants we tried – Chops and Sabor - were excellent, and the food at the complimentary restaurants was quite good.

Many of the passengers complaints could and should have been handled promptly by the ship's Captain and officers. With the amount of paper wasted to promote the “special sale of the day”, being green is no excuse for a short and to the point letter from the Captain stating:

We know we are having problems, we are sorry, and this is how we are going fix them.

However, middle and senior management were rarely seen on this cruise, and when they were out in the open, they would not engage the passengers or even make eye contact. While waiting to disembark in Fort Lauderdale, a passenger ahead of us asked about the delays and an officer did tell them it was due to US Immigration. However, the officer only told that couple and a few of us nearby overheard, but when asked to announce the information to the hundreds of passengers behind us, the officer seemed annoyed, bothered and insulted.

We did a lot of research for the 14 months prior to this cruise and were told by countless prior RCI passengers that we would be WOWed by RCI. However, after this cruise we think that WHOA would be more accurate as WOW as in; WHOA – never again RCI.

Even though we are still relatively new to cruising, we do enjoy 1 or 2 cruises each year and plan on continuing so in the future. Due to our limited vacation time, we try to get the most out of each cruise. This was RCIs chance to win us over to their product, but we feel that we are more appreciated as passengers on other cruise lines. Because of this level of lack of care from RCI management we have decided to not cruise with this cruise line again. Please find our enclosed canceled RCI credit cards.

when we did our crawl back in may, it worked out best to have those showing cabins to go in the first group, as they got to their cabin, they stayed put. they jumped in with the last group to see the rest of the cabins along the way. this allowed them to see all cabins and not miss out on the fun.

That was what was supposed to happen. There were 12 groups each with timed routes, but with over 150 crawlers most groups seemed to just leave and do their own thing. I had three groups pass through my cabin, each claiming to be 'the last group'. Unfortunately, they weren't, and some groups never go to see all the cabins. Other groups decided that they only wanted to see the suites and ignore the rest of the cabins. I'm not sure how else it would have been possible to arrange it.

jacky - Ouch. While I empathize with the issues you mentioned, don't count on getting a response. They know they already lost you as a customer. Sorry there were problems - this is why I don't plan on ever sailing right after a dry dock or on a brand new ship until they have been "broken in". I thought your email was well written which is why I was surprised at the tough ending. Happy sails to you on your other choices.

Edited by wolfganghowell

That was what was supposed to happen. There were 12 groups each with timed routes, but with over 150 crawlers most groups seemed to just leave and do their own thing. I had three groups pass through my cabin, each claiming to be 'the last group'. Unfortunately, they weren't, and some groups never go to see all the cabins. Other groups decided that they only wanted to see the suites and ignore the rest of the cabins. I'm not sure how else it would have been possible to arrange it.

As the engineer/pilot side of me worked on the solution to this:

Yes, I know Tuesday night quarterbacking and all.

The cabin hosts gets the list to all of the cabins on the tour. They go off and visit every cabin and each host stays with their cabin.

In this case each 13 or so member groups gets set off ONLY with the cabin number of the first cabin. Ten minutes later the next group gets ONLY the number of the first cabin.

After the first group has visited the first cabin only then are they given the number to the second cabin. They are not to tell anyone the number of the second cabin. The second group should now be nearing the first cabin.

Same with every group. They ONLY know the number of the next cabin so they can not skip ahead.

When the last group is ready, the cabin crawl director follows up knowing that he is really the LAST group.

I was up visiting the lofts after the "first" last group visited ours. After hanging out at two lofts for a bit, I returned only to find cabin crawlers at my door. I felt so embarrassed, after all I was supposed to be driving the ship. Or at least left someone responsible in charge.

jacky - Ouch. While I empathize with the issues you mentioned, don't count on getting a response. They know they already lost you as a customer. Sorry there were problems - this is why I don't plan on ever sailing right after a dry dock or on a brand new ship until they have been "broken in". I thought your email was well written which is why I was surprised at the tough ending. Happy sails to you on your other choices.

As we said it was the way everything was handled. We are not expecting a reply as they did not even address the issues of the elites, they are not going to address us in steerage. It was like they told the boat driver, get this to Ft. Lauderdale.

Now following the Quantum thread this is what they said about their Meet and Mingle:

I am currently sitting at Michael's Genuine after a FABULOUS meet and mingle (more on that below) and getting ready to add more photos to the Shutterfly site.

We had a HUGE meet and mingle with much of the senior staff and RCCL executives in attendance. They were passing out champagne and mimosas and had an impressive spread of sweet and savory "nibblies" for us. They were very gracious in acknowledging the "hiccups" and have offered everyone 25% of the price we paid for this cruise off a future cruise and a certain amount of onboard credit (based on cabin type) to spend on this cruise. Once again, Royal goes above and beyond.

It is not the problem, it is how you handle it. When I was an airline Captain is stuff was going, you in the back knew WHAT was going, WHY is was going on, and most importantly, WHAT (now this part is important to the RCI manager reading this thread) "I" was doing to fix it, and HOW LONG I expected it to take.

As I said in another thread "had" something happened on this ship, I would have felt the my wife and I were "on our own".

There are many RCL cheerleader out their that say give them a second chance, but if you read our review they did not even take the first step in owning up to any problem.

Tanzer, yep I hear you. I've owned my own business and the greatest lesson I learned was that when you make a mistake, if you admit it, own it and try to find a way to either rectify it or make up for it, a client will at least appreciate that you made an attempt to make it right. I'm confused though - where is your review? Are you and jacky one and the same?

I so agree that the Quantum issues seem to be handled in an entirely different yet appropriate manner.

Tanzer, yep I hear you. I've owned my own business and the greatest lesson I learned was that when you make a mistake, if you admit it, own it and try to find a way to either rectify it or make up for it, a client will at least appreciate that you made an attempt to make it right. I'm confused though - where is your review? Are you and jacky one and the same?

I so agree that the Quantum issues seem to be handled in an entirely different yet appropriate manner.

She is the "management" side of the operation. I have a bunch of more notess and photos to post, but I am watching my Photobucket usage lecel for now so that everyone can get their photo as it is a different place then I told it would be.

"management"

32be8adb92e2df25ab280b4b45cab23a_zps48cfc415.jpg

ed5267ee9b0fba8b5e7a11b0cd7a8bfc_zps0a90ebe9.jpg

As we said it was the way everything was handled. We are not expecting a reply as they did not even address the issues of the elites, they are not going to address us in steerage. It was like they told the boat driver, get this to Ft. Lauderdale.

Now following the Quantum thread this is what they said about their Meet and Mingle:

I am currently sitting at Michael's Genuine after a FABULOUS meet and mingle (more on that below) and getting ready to add more photos to the Shutterfly site.

We had a HUGE meet and mingle with much of the senior staff and RCCL executives in attendance. They were passing out champagne and mimosas and had an impressive spread of sweet and savory "nibblies" for us. They were very gracious in acknowledging the "hiccups" and have offered everyone 25% of the price we paid for this cruise off a future cruise and a certain amount of onboard credit (based on cabin type) to spend on this cruise. Once again, Royal goes above and beyond.

It is not the problem, it is how you handle it. When I was an airline Captain is stuff was going, you in the back knew WHAT was going, WHY is was going on, and most importantly, WHAT (now this part is important to the RCI manager reading this thread) "I" was doing to fix it, and HOW LONG I expected it to take.

As I said in another thread "had" something happened on this ship, I would have felt the my wife and I were "on our own".

There are many RCL cheerleader out their that say give them a second chance, but if you read our review they did not even take the first step in owning up to any problem.

We also felt that if something serious happened, there would be nobody there to guide or help us. We felt that we would be on our own!

great letter and I sincerely hope RCCl will listen. we are sailing Oasis in December and have had our first hiccup with the cruise planner and RCCL dropping our reserved show. The precruise attitude and response from the half dozen or so RCL associates have not WOWED me but disappointed me tremendously. I hope this.will not follow onboard.

I loved the pictures and wonder if you could whisper to me where that lovely secret spot might be located.????

Welcome home and I am sending wishes for calm seas and relaxed cruising on your next voyage!! Edited by cmitch9999