chichen itza or tulum ruins

wannacrewz

Going in Oct. to Playa and Cozumel on the Holiday.........can't wait!! :D This is our second cruise.....first Carnival cruise. Trying to decide if we should choose between Chichen Itza or Tulum ruins or if we should try to see both. Won't be spending time snorkeling or scuba diving so lack of time shouldn't be a problem. I guess it is probably just a personal preference, but any of your thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Wannacrewz

We're going in October, and since it's one of my life's dreams to climb the Kulkulkan Pyramid at Chichen Itza, that's where we're going. Were going to try to do Tulum from Cozumel, but decided we'd rather sip frosty bevvies on the beach.

Chichen is a bigger site than Tulum, but the ruins at Tulum against the backdrop of the ocean is supposed to be really striking.

You could do some research online to see what types of things you want to see - wanna climb a pyramid? Chichen. Wanna see temples and other buildings? Tulum's got that, too.

We did a private tour in Cozumel and flew over to Chichen Itza.

It was beautiful !!

I have a webshots link in my signature. (Triumph Album )

I don't have all the pics in there yet, but some.

And with this tour we left the Coz airport about 9am, and we were back on the ship by 3 pm.

I've never been to Tulum so I may be biased.:o

You definitely won't have time to see both Tulum and Chichen Itza on one trip. We have seen both on different cruise. We flew out to see Chichen Itza and got about 6 hours or so there. I could have easily spend several days and still not been satisfied I had seen everything. Tulum is smaller and much easier and cheaper to get to. It's setting right on the ocean makes it a very scenic place but because of the enormous volume of people wanting to see it you can NOT climb or get close to many of the ruins. If you have the time and the money go see Chichen Itza and then catch Tulum on another cruise to the area. If money is an issue go to Tulum and put Chichen Itza on your list to visit later.

Have a great next cruise.

Well....you're going to Playa and Coz. So, theoretically, you could do both. One at each stop. We did Tulum from Coz, had to take a tender over to Playa and then take a very long bus ride. It was an all day thing, but well worth it! Tulum is beautiful, but like already mentioned, you are not allowed to climb.

We did Chichen Itza from Progresso, which was also a very long bus ride. Because it takes so long to get there, it might not be offered at either of your ports. But it is beautiful, also! We were there last year and our guide told us that they were going to stop allowing people to climb. Don't know if they've done that yet or not. Anyway....I climbed the pyramid and by the time I reached the top, my legs were almost numb, but I didn't know it until I stood up straight. I started to fall over and reached out to grab the building, but grabbed a lady instead.....almost fell off and took her with me (ooopps!). Good thing my DH saved us! My daughter has the whole thing on video....maybe I should send it in to Funniest Home Videos!!

Back to the question...even if both are offered at each port, I think both days would not be very relaxing at all. I recommend going to Tulum and saving Chichen Itza for another time...when your at a closer port.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

Hands down Chichen Itza is far superior in the way of buildings, ball court and overall history and culture, If you are allowed to climb the pyramid do so-it is awesome. I wore out the tips of my tennis shoes going up and down-its quite the scary climb. To think that the Mayans used to run up and down that thing is unbelievable!! Tulum is pretty but little and kinda boring.

It was probably just the fact that my mentality is that of a 12 year olds, but I found both Chichen Itza and Tulum to be about as exciting as watching grass grow. Or maybe it was just the longggg bus drive to get there that sucked out all of my enthusiasm. We spent 2 hours at Chichen Itza and covered most all of it from head to toe. Climbed to the top, inside and out, and covered all the trails. Saw some ruins here and there. Maybe woulda been more exciting if Pam Anderson was narrating the tour. The one positive that I'll mention is that at chichen itza you can bargain for some super super deals. There are locals everyyyywhere selling their wares and at better prices than I've seen anywhere else around the caribbean. Just remember that most stuff can be had for one third the initial asking price.:) If for whateva reason you end up doing neither tour, spending a day in Playa del Carmen isnt that bad of an option. Kicking around the town and beaches of PC can be a hoot.

Thanks to all of you that posted a reply to my question.

Alisha, the pics are great. Also enjoyed the Sovereign pics cause we cruised it last year, on our first cruise.

Robby, somehow I have a feeling that I'm not going to find the ruins just real exciting either. :( Gonna humor my hubby, and who knows I might just love them.........yeah right........ will just have to see. :rolleyes:

Chichen Itza was an amazing excursion. However, it is also quite far - about three hours each way and so it you choose this excursion you won't have any time for anything else. Also, I was on this tour quite a few years ago but remember that you had to pay an extra fee if you wanted to use your video camera!

Going in Oct. to Playa and Cozumel on the Holiday.........can't wait!! :D This is our second cruise.....first Carnival cruise. Trying to decide if we should choose between Chichen Itza or Tulum ruins or if we should try to see both. Won't be spending time snorkeling or scuba diving so lack of time shouldn't be a problem. I guess it is probably just a personal preference, but any of your thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Wannacrewz

Carnival should have all available excursions listed for your cruise. You may have to register on line to see this. There may be time to do Tulum from Cozumel, not sure. Remember that if Carnival doesn't offer the excursion you could find yourself left behind, on the dock.

We are also going in October. We are doing a Tulum/Beach combo. I visited Chichen Itza in July from Progresso thanks to Dennis. I highly recommend it. I also recommend the smaller site offered from Costa Maya. The smaller group size adds to the experience. Photos below.

http://home.alltel.net/hyatts1/index.htm

... and since it's one of my life's dreams to climb the Kulkulkan Pyramid at Chichen Itza, that's where we're going.

Mine too, since childhood. I just wish I had done it as a child. This old fat man made it but with a lot of huffing and puffing.;) The photos were worth the effort however.

http://home.alltel.net/hyatts1/index.htm

Archived