Celebrity Galapagos cruise and Machu Picchu

clisa

Hello! I am looking for ANY information and feedback on the Galapagos cruise with Machu Picchu post cruise trip. I have read reviews and there is a lot on the Galapagos but there is not much on a pre/post information including Machu Picchu. This trip is very costly and I am trying to find out if it is all worth it! It is truly a bucket list trip and want to be certain I am choosing the right cruise line and time of year to go. Thank you for any AND all info!!

Have you posted on the monster thread on the Xpedition roll call ... it's on its third thread and still going strong. I know some who post there have done MP.

My personal opinion ... do it as a separate trip. From what I have read, Celebrity does a great job with the tour, but you do not get nearly the time you need at MP to truly appreciate the site. Besides, the Sacred Valley and Cusco are also deserving of time since you are already there. For the difference in the add on price for the MP extension, you can do your own private tour on your own schedule ... and you can still do it before or after the trip. A slower paced trip will also allow time to acclimate to altitude.

Edited by h2so4

Hello! I am looking for ANY information and feedback on the Galapagos cruise with Machu Picchu post cruise trip. I have read reviews and there is a lot on the Galapagos but there is not much on a pre/post information including Machu Picchu. This trip is very costly and I am trying to find out if it is all worth it! It is truly a bucket list trip and want to be certain I am choosing the right cruise line and time of year to go. Thank you for any AND all info!!

We did the Galapagos cruise and also found the Macchu Pichu excursion very expensive. I then did the Buenos Aires to Valparisio cruise and found the Macchu Pichu add-on to be more reasonable, so we did it that way. It was great.

We considered this a few years ago but instead decided to do it on our own through a travel agency. We were able to stay in the same hotels, take the same transportation to Machu Picchu, do the same activities and tours, and stay several days more for significantly less total cost. By staying longer, you have many more opportunities to visit the surrounding areas. Definitely plan on spending a few days in Cusco, the launching point for train trip to Machu Picchu. It is a picturesque town with very friendly people. You should also plan to stay in Cusco for a couple of days to get acclimated to the 10,000+ foot elevation, especially if where you live is at low elevations.

Edited by boogs

We didn't cruise there, but went to Machu Picchu over Memorial Day weekend using miles, hotel points, and some cash for the train tour.

Flew from ATL to Lima then to Cusco over the Andes.

DSC00137.JPG

DSC00154.JPG

We stayed at the Palacio Del Inka using Starwood points. It was nicer than I expected for being so remote and had a really good location.

DSC00203.JPG

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00197.JPG

The next morning we had the hotel arrange a car to drop off and pick up at the Hiram Bingham train. It was a pretty long ride on tiny roads. The train was amazing, but very expensive. I think about $800 each but it included meals and the tour. You could also of course take the tourist train and hike up for 5 days for a lot less money.

DSC00370.JPG

DSC00424.JPG

DSC00517.JPG

The passenger are broken up into small groups and assigned a tour guide. The actor/director Christopher Lloyd happen to be in our tour group. He was doing some kind of event in Chile and decided to visit MP.

DSC00522.JPG

DSC00525.jpg

It was one long, exhausting weekend, but a great place for a proposal after being together for 16 years.

DSC00699.JPG

You could also of course take the tourist train and hike up for 5 days for a lot less money.

One minor correction on this point ... it really should be OR between the tourist train and hiking up. Those taking the regular trains instead of the Hiram Bingham do not have to hike up unless they so choose. They can ride the train all the way to Aguas Calientes and take the shuttle bus up to the sanctuary.

You picked a fantastic place for a proposal ... congratulations!

One minor correction on this point ... it really should be OR between the tourist train and hiking up. Those taking the regular trains instead of the Hiram Bingham do not have to hike up unless they so choose. They can ride the train all the way to Aguas Calientes and take the shuttle bus up to the sanctuary.

You picked a fantastic place for a proposal ... congratulations!

Yes, sorry there are two other classes of regular trains. They all end up at the same place, but the journey is different. I would say like Carnival vs Celebrity. No offense to Carnival fans. :)

Thanks. Proposal was successful. I was so nervous I thought I would fall down the mountain, it could have been the altitude or all those pisco sours I had on the train. Now just have to wait for it to be legal, hopefully not another 16 years.

Yes, sorry there are two other classes of regular trains. They all end up at the same place, but the journey is different. I would say like Carnival vs Celebrity. No offense to Carnival fans. :)

A more apt description would probably be to compare the Hiram Bingham to a luxury cruiseline such as Crystal; the backpacker train to Carnival; and the Vistadome to Celebrity ;-))) ... no offense to any fans ;-)

Edited by h2so4

A more apt description would probably be to compare the Hiram Bingham to a luxury cruiseline such as Crystal; the backpacker train to Carnival; and the Vistadome to Celebrity ;-))) ... no offense to any fans ;-)

We did the Hiram Bingham train and it was fantastic. There are only 84 passengers, so service is very personal. The rear car is a lounge/bar/observation car with an open platform to watch the scenery go by. Meals are gourmet meals and are served at your seat and table. Drinks and snacks are inclusive. The entertainment is wonderful. And the scenery breathtaking. The entire trip felt like an event and party combined.

Even though it rained on our train ride, I am very happy we opted for this luxury treat.

We also stayed at the Palacio Del Inka and highly recommend it. It is one of the two hotels that Celebrity uses in Cusco.

Cuzco%20Train%201.JPG

Cuzco%20train%205.JPG

Cuzco%20train%206.JPG

Cuzco%20train%203.JPG

Cuzco%20train%202.JPG

Cuzco%20train%204.JPG

Edited by fortinweb

We booked our Machu Pichu excursion through a Peruvian travel agency recommended by our Cuzco hotel. It was far less costly than Celebrity's extension, and we felt we were well served. The TA met us at our hotel in Cuzco and provided train and bus tickets (Vistadome) which we were very pleased with. We had a driver pick us up at our hotel, take us to the train station. We were met at the Agua Calientes station by a representative to direct us to the bus, and deliver a box lunch that we had requested. Our guide was very good, and we had a wonderful but exhaustive tour. After we exited the park, we ate our lunch, and our daughter went back in because she wanted to climb up to the watchman's hut, which she did. After the bus ride back to Agua Caliente, our train was about an hour late, and we were late back to Cuzco. Our driver was there, and took us back to our hotel.

The only thing I would change in hindsight would be to NOT order the box lunch. While it was delicious, picknicking is not allowed in the park, so I carried three lunches up and down the stone steps, to sit near a cafe and eat them. We would have been better to have just planned to eat at the cafe.

I highly recommend staying in Aguas Calientes, the small town at the base of the mountain Machu Picchu is on, for one night. This will give you the opportunity to see the sunset AND the sunrise over Machu Picchu. Each is spectacular and well worth considering. Taking the train for only a day trip makes this impossible.

We stayed at the beautiful Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel, a paradise in this tiny town: http://www.inkaterra.com/inkaterra/inkaterra-machu-picchu-pueblo-hotel/

SUNSET

Machu%20Picchu%20sunset%20s.JPG

SUNRISE

Machu%20Picchu%20sunrise.jpg

Edited by boogs

Have done the cruistour. Massgal64@charter.net I will be pleased to share info.

TUMMY--your vacay to Machu Picchu on Memorial Week sounds like a dream come true. How did you plan your itinerary and know exactly where you should stay? You took a flight into and out of Lima and then to Cusco? Is that the most direct route?

BOOGS--great idea. Question: by staying in Aguas Calientes (which is probably not so caliente since it is in the mountains), how could you get up to MP to see sunrise and sunset? Bus? Tram? How long is this journey?

Machu Picchu is on my Bucket List but we would like to stay longer and really enjoy the view and people. Are there TAs who specialize in this type of travel, or, by picking your brains on CruiseCritic, can we develop our own Tour?

Thanks for any info!

TUMMY--your vacay to Machu Picchu on Memorial Week sounds like a dream come true. How did you plan your itinerary and know exactly where you should stay? You took a flight into and out of Lima and then to Cusco? Is that the most direct route?[/Quote]

This part of question wasn't directed to me, but I can add my experience. We planned our trip though our favorite travel agent. We flew into Lima with a connecting flight to Cusco, both on LAN airlines. This is probably the best way to get there. Landing at Cusco was an experience. The flight path wanders through several mountain valleys and much of the approach is lower than the peaks on both sides of the plane. As the plane zig zags through the valleys, the plane gradually losses altitude until it makes a sharp turn over some low hills and lands. The airport is build on a slope and the plane literally lands uphill! The terminal is a small building. One side the floor is level with the tarmac, the other side the tarmac is several steps lower. Pretty exciting landing if you have a window and the sky is clear.

BOOGS--great idea. Question: by staying in Aguas Calientes (which is probably not so caliente since it is in the mountains), how could you get up to MP to see sunrise and sunset? Bus? Tram? How long is this journey?

Machu Picchu is on my Bucket List but we would like to stay longer and really enjoy the view and people. Are there TAs who specialize in this type of travel, or, by picking your brains on CruiseCritic, can we develop our own Tour?

Thanks for any info!

There are frequent buses to the top of the mountain. Be prepared for a white knuckle ride. The dirt road is narrow with sharp curves at each turn of the multiple switchback required to get to the top. I remember a couple of corners where the driver had to back up to line himself with the road. There are no guardrails in most places. It gets even more interesting when two buses pass each other in opposite directions since the road is essentially a one lane road in most places. The ride is about twenty minutes and is quite scenic. No need to buy bus fare in advance. Just wait at the bus pickup location and pay as you get on.

machu2.jpg

There are TAs that specialize in this type of trip. But we went through our favorite TA and she made all the arrangements for us, including pickup at the airports, day tours while in Cusco, the train trip - or do a four day hike along the Inca Trail - the hotels (which we picked out), and air reservations.

Do spend a few nights in Cusco. It is an interesting town to explore, and there are several day trip tours that you can take. We stayed for three nights, then went to Aguas Calientes for one night, then back to Cusco for one more night. We only took an overnight bag to Aguas Calientes. We had made arrangements with the hotel to store our larger luggage while we were gone. Instead, since the hotel wasn't fully booked, the hotel allowed us to keep our room without having to pay for the night we were gone, so we left everything else in the room. Staying several nights will help you acclimate to the elevation before you start climbing all over Machu Piccu. Cusco is 11,152 ft (3,399 m), Aguas Calientes is 6,690 ft (2,040 m), Machu Piccu is 7,972 ft (2,402 m). Acclimation is more important the lower the elevation is where you live. We drank cocoa tea to help us avoid altitude sickness. Since our house is only 64 ft above sea level, we had to be careful at these altitudes.

Edited by boogs