Endless pool on Ruby

halpinsg

Thank you for the replies! I don't know how the spa works. Do you have to pay extra to use it? My15yo DS is a competitive swimmer and it would be great if we can get him in there on an off hour to get him some time in a pool.

The Spa Pool does not have a charge, however it is for adults only. I don't know the hours it is open. I do not think it would be much of a challenge to swim against as I can overcome the "speed" of the water and I am both old and just a recreational swimmer. Perhaps the current can be increased, I don't know.

Edited by katisdale

Thank you for the information. Depending on the hours we may try to get him in early. Although with his usual 5:15 am practices, he may be a bit reluctant to get up early while on a cruise. ;-)

17 days till our first Princess cruise. Can't wait

The current is adjustable, so you can get a decent workout. Because the pool is small its a bit disruptive to use the current when others are swimming. If early morning is difficult, it is usually empty in late afternoon, say 4.30.

Thank you for the information. Depending on the hours we may try to get him in early. Although with his usual 5:15 am practices, he may be a bit reluctant to get up early while on a cruise. ;-)

As pointed out above, this pool is supposed to be for adults (18 years old and up) only.

At 5:15 AM, I doubt anyone will be checking.

17 days till our first Princess cruise. Can't wait

I am not sure why you would try to get him in "early" when it is an adults only pool. He is only 15.

The rules are there to apply to all....not some.

I probably should have been more clear. My intention is to find out when the spa pool opens, we would ask the staff if we could get him in before that time for a little practice. As a parent, I fully understand the value and need of an adults only area.

As this will be a Thanksgiving cruise packed with families, I think the adult only areas will be highly valued:)

Sent from my DROID4

Adults only pool areas are to give adults freedom from kids "horsing around". Your son is a serious swimmer, training for competition. Possibly staff will take that into account and allow him access with your supervision. It can't hurt to ask.

The Spa Pool does not have a charge, however it is for adults only. I don't know the hours it is open. I do not think it would be much of a challenge to swim against as I can overcome the "speed" of the water and I am both old and just a recreational swimmer. Perhaps the current can be increased, I don't know.

On all the ships I've been on they've locked it in to one set speed to keep the arguments down. It seemed that there could never be an agreement to which speed was correct.

Get there early and bring a pair or pliers to change it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Good luck using the current. On the Island, Coral, and the Ruby it was never on. When my dh asked a crew member how to get it turned on he never got an answer. So he substituted workouts in the gym instead.

Sucks that they say they have something he could have used but it was broken on the Island and no one could be found that knew how it worked on the other two.

I have had no difficulty turning it on (and adjusting speed) on The Ruby and the Emerald. In off peak hours I think most of us would have no objection to seeing a serious swimmer training. This is not roughhousing. Sounds like the OP is prepared to ask ad show consideration. As the mother of 3 boys who like to sleep in, I hope OP can get him that permission at 4.30 PM.

Haven't been on the Ruby in a while, but 5 years ago it was very usable for a serious swimmer to get a work out. Recently, I've noticed on other ships that even with the in-pool unit's adjustment turned up to full, the current was weaker than normal. When I asked the ship's engineer about it, he said that they'd turned down the output pressure of the main hydraulic pump to keep from blowing the hydraulic lines that run to the in-pool unit. Hopefully the Ruby will still be running full pressure...

On the Grand last week, the current was strong but no longer adjustable. There was only an ON button at the unit and it automatically turned off after 5 minutes. The posted hours of operation were 10am to 10pm. I think the noise of the unit might be annoying to passengers staying in cabins below the pool.