Well, is the toilet water salty or fresh?

AmazedByCruising

Well done, Emily.

But such a shame that, just like my computer, you still can't spell colour. :D

JB :)

(apols for staying off-topic)

Sorry I led the topic astray for a while, but this line of thought has had me doing some serious giggling this morning!! I'll work on my spelling, JB. :D

But the one which gets me going is Plymouth - from where the Pilgrim Fathers sailed & the source of the name of several Plymouths in America.

Plym is pronounced like Jim or Slim.

But Americans pronounce it like plywood or lime.

Plymouth is at the mouth of the River Plym, hence the name. And hence the pronunciation.

Same pronunciation, I believe, as Americans use for their Ford Plymouth cars.

End of history lesson :D

ps. Please, Miss, if anyone complains that this is off-topic - he started it. ;)

No no no. We know how to pronounce the names our automobiles.

Actually, a lot of us know how to pronounce the names of Brit cars as well---

Edited by luddite

Actually, a lot of us know how to pronounce the names of Brit cars as well---

Oh no you don't :D

One British car is the Jaguar.

Pronounced as it's spelt.

And it's not spelt Jayyygwaaaaar ;)

But you're worse with Japanese cars.

Like the Neeeeesaaaarn, the Toyoda, and the Marrrsda :D

Now I'm standing by for a Japanese CC member to tell me that we Brits get it wrong too. :rolleyes:

To stay vaguely on-topic perhaps we should discuss taps & faucets, and bathrooms that don't have baths ;)

Now I'm standing by for a Japanese CC member to tell me that we Brits get it wrong too. :rolleyes:

To stay vaguely on-topic perhaps we should discuss taps & faucets, and bathrooms that don't have baths ;)

...Well, we pronounce all of them the same.......

" Unreliable Pieces of .... Detritus"

Discussing pronunciation of taps and faucets will get us sent to Band Camp around here.

Who the heck are you listening to??? No one I have ever heard pronounces those like you claim. If you are going to paint Americans with a wide brush, at least use the correct one. :rolleyes:

I hate it when people who obviously have no idea what they are talking about make incorrect blanket assumptions about others. Quit insulting Americans with your obviously biased assumptions that we are too incompetent to pronounce names correctly. :mad:

Who the heck are you listening to??? No one I have ever heard pronounces those like you claim. If you are going to paint Americans with a wide brush, at least use the correct one. :rolleyes:

I hate it when people who obviously have no idea what they are talking about make incorrect blanket assumptions about others. Quit insulting Americans with your obviously biased assumptions that we are too incompetent to pronounce names correctly. :mad:

Well, can you expect someone who drives on the wrong side of the road to make accurate assumptions about those of us who drive on the correct side? We drive on the right side of the road because it is the "right" (i.e. "correct") way to drive a car. :D

Even cruise ships using shipping lanes across the world pass to the right of each other. (There, that got the discussion back to cruising ;) ).

Edited by swsfrail

Who the heck are you listening to??? No one I have ever heard pronounces those like you claim. If you are going to paint Americans with a wide brush, at least use the correct one.

No need to go all defensive, it's not an insult. It's a light-hearted observation on accents - as per the rest of this thread.

And I've spent enough time talking cars on your side of the Pond to know what I hear. Mebbe you should spend some time in places like Tennessee or Alabama ;)

Well, can you expect someone who drives on the wrong side of the road to make accurate assumptions about those of us who drive on the correct side? We drive on the right side of the road because it is the "right" (i.e. "correct") way to drive a car. :D

Even cruise ships using shipping lanes across the world pass to the right of each other. (There, that got the discussion back to cruising ;) ).

But ouch - I've got no answer to that observation :D

Nice one, sw

Edited by John Bull

No need to go all defensive, it's not an insult. It's a light-hearted observation on accents - as per the rest of this thread.

And I've spent enough time talking cars on your side of the Pond to know what I hear. Mebbe you should spend some time in places like Tennessee or Alabama ;)

True, their accents can certainly make some words sound different, and some are almost unintelligible. But, as a whole, most of the US doesn't have such heavy accents and pronounce words very similar to you Brits, though with an "American" accent. Even you Brits have different dialects that can make some words sound very different. Depending on where people are from, the accents vary dramatically. This youtube video is a fascinating look at the differences by region:

I used to provide training classes for an employer and traveled to several countries to train the employees at the local facilities. My most challenging week of classes was in Dunfermline, Scotland. Their local accents were almost impossible for me to understand, even though we were both speaking English. :D

I suppose I shouldn't even bring up humour types e.g. irony and sarcasm.

Irony is clearly misunderstood in this case. Brits are known for self-deprecating humour - it does not seem to travel well 'over the pond' however.

"...paint Americans with a wide brush..." would be comedy gold to a Brit BTW;)

Re pronouncing names incorrectly - we can only go on our experience. Granted Leicester; Gloucester etc. are counter-intuitive re pronunciation - welcome to the joys of English spelling:rolleyes: (how many different ways are there of pronouncing the syllable -ough?)

ps. A2Mich. Just to confuse you, I've driven thousands of miles with the hood raised.

But when it's warm & sunny I put it down for open-air motoring. :D

Too funny!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

I suppose I shouldn't even bring up humour types e.g. irony and sarcasm.

Irony is clearly misunderstood in this case. Brits are known for self-deprecating humour - it does not seem to travel well 'over the pond' however.

"...paint Americans with a wide brush..." would be comedy gold to a Brit BTW;)

No, it does not. While you may think yourselves as being humorous, satirical, etc., many people do not. It isn't who is the most sophisticated at humor. It is about what people in different parts of the world find amusing. I for one have a hard time finding humor in British comedy, for instance. It just isn't very funny.

It is always risky joking about another country's cultural norms because not everyone has the same sense of humor. You Brits always seem to think it is humorous to make fun of Americans and their way of life. Not sure why you need to do so. We Americans don't have a similar need to make fun of you. Perhaps it is jealousy. After all, after independence from British suppression, we quickly rose to become a superpower in the world while Britain gradually lost it's influence on the world stage, and now is almost invisible. (How is that for satirical humor? Are you amused?)

If one needs to poke fun at someone, it is always better to poke fun at themselves. At least then they will be assured that the victim will get the joke. ;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

After reading many of these comments, I wonder why any of you care how people in other countries pronounce words, what side of the road they drive on, and what accents they have.:confused:

:)

We have accents in the U.S. from different parts of the country that I can barely understand.

After reading many of these comments, I wonder why any of you care how people in other countries pronounce words, what side of the road they drive on, and what accents they have.:confused:

:)

Truly, we don't.

Fun is where you find it.

BruceMuzz is just one of the people implying that it was not a stupid question after all. I'm glad it isn't, but I do understand it doesn't prove my sanity :)

Back on topic: the Dutch pronounce WiFi, "Wee-Fee" where HiFi has been pronounced "High Figh" forever. We don't recognize it as an English word I guess.

Now you've got me riled :D

Comes from the Latin word alumen, long before America was invented.

The metal was invented by a Dane in the early 19th century, when America was still in diapers. Initially it was called alumium, then aluminum, but America then agreed with the civilised world ;) that it be called aluminium, because most elements end in ...ium.

100 years later, America decided to revert to aluminum. Everyone else kept with aluminium - the name used by IUPAC, the international union of chemists - or aluminio.

But the one which gets me going is Plymouth - from where the Pilgrim Fathers sailed & the source of the name of several Plymouths in America.

Plym is pronounced like Jim or Slim.

But Americans pronounce it like plywood or lime.

Plymouth is at the mouth of the River Plym, hence the name. And hence the pronunciation.

Same pronunciation, I believe, as Americans use for their Ford Plymouth cars.

End of history lesson :D

ps. Please, Miss, if anyone complains that this is off-topic - he started it. ;)

John, John, John. Ford Plymouth? ? ? Where in the world can I buy one?

A Q&A from my motor car experience in the younger days. Why don't the British drink cold beer? Smith's also manufactures fridges.

But to the OP. If you need salty water, look for the lost shaker and add some.

Edited by CPT Trips

No, it does not. While you may think yourselves as being humorous, satirical, etc., many people do not. It isn't who is the most sophisticated at humor. It is about what people in different parts of the world find amusing. I for one have a hard time finding humor in British comedy, for instance. It just isn't very funny.

It is always risky joking about another country's cultural norms because not everyone has the same sense of humor. You Brits always seem to think it is humorous to make fun of Americans and their way of life. Not sure why you need to do so. We Americans don't have a similar need to make fun of you. Perhaps it is jealousy. After all, after independence from British suppression, we quickly rose to become a superpower in the world while Britain gradually lost it's influence on the world stage, and now is almost invisible. (How is that for satirical humor? Are you amused?)

If one needs to poke fun at someone, it is always better to poke fun at themselves. At least then they will be assured that the victim will get the joke. ;)

Please lighten up, SF Fan. ;)

We don’t poke fun at Americans.

We’re not that specific.

We poke fun at everyone.

Including ourselves.

Especially ourselves.

And the French. ;)

So it can hardly be jealousy.

Your comments about the British Empire and American independence are neither funny nor un-funny. You’re merely stating well-known facts, in a weak attempt to insult - nothing satirical or dry or subtle about it.

If for instance you’d mentioned, in some sort of context, that “the world atlas isn’t as pink as it used to be”, that would have been a much more subtle and acceptable dig at us.:)

Strangely, I see bits of dry satire in, of all places, The Simpsons – possibly too subtle for you.

To understand British satire, use YouTube to see bits of the BBC comedy series “yes, Minister” and “Yes, Prime Minister”. British TV poking fun at the relationship between its Parliament & its army of civil servants. Maggie Thatcher’s favourite programme. because she acknowledged that although nonsensical it's based on reality. Satire at its best.

SteveH posted that Brits are known for self-deprecating humour.

But I wouldn’t know about that, because I’m just a simple country boy.;)

My long-overdue apologies to the OP, this is all way off-topic but warranted a response.

This is a serious question. Maybe their guide dog wants to know before he goes on the cruise. Salty water can do nasty things for a poor dog who drinks from a salt water toilet. Wise animal...

A dog is not that stupid - much fussier than humans about what they drink.:)

We don’t poke fun at Americans.

We’re not that specific.

We poke fun at everyone.

Including ourselves.

Especially ourselves.

And the French. ;)

So it can hardly be jealousy.

Really John Bull? EVERYONE makes fun of the French, and the US city of Cleveland. Did you see the French machine gun for sale on Ebay? Never been fired and only dropped twice......

Edited by A2Mich

Really John Bull? EVERYONE makes fun of the French, and the US city of Cleveland. Did you see the French machine gun for sale on Ebay? Never been fired and only dropped twice......

Thanks for posting that.

Means that now you'll get flamed instead of me. :p

Better put your tin hat on :D

I can't stop laughing. I have a history degree and I concur with these observations of the French. True and funny all the same.

Thanks for posting that.

Means that now you'll get flamed instead of me. :p

Better put your tin hat on :D

Doesn't bother me. I don't get upset or offended by much of anything.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

I can't stop laughing. I have a history degree and I concur with these observations of the French. True and funny all the same.

Maybe your degree isn't all it's cracked up to be. Americans should remember that French support was essential in the American victory in the Revolution.

My English colleague, who likes to say that all the French can do is to surrender, doesn't seem to know about why the French surrendered to the Germans at Dunkirk ... after using up their ammunition covering the British retreat across the Channel. The British were abandoning their French allies, but the French still covered the backsides of the British as they ran back home. Some French gave their lives; others surrendered because they were no longer armed. Most British soldiers got home safely.

A typical American may know little about history, but someone boasting of a history degree should have learned these things, and more.

Edited by Blue Mudshark