Traditional upscale but casual quality restaurants nearish to the Via Veneto in Rome.

rl787

Has anyone got any recommends for a quality traditional Italian restaurant nearish to the Via Veneto. We would be prepared to take a short taxi ride. It is for a special occasion and we do not want dinner suit formal but fabulous memorable food in a casual setting. We are prepared to pay for something special if anyone knows somewhere. We have looked on TA but there thousands and its hard to narrow down. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not near the Via Veneto, but the restaurant I always go back to in Rome is Armando al Pantheon. It is one block from the Pantheon. Traditional Roman cuisine. It's always mentioned in the food blogs and chowhound as a good place. They do have a website, http://www.armandoalpantheon.it. It does have an English version. If you do go there, save space in your tummy for dessert. They have amazing Roman torta and a ricotta cake and some seasonal specials.

It is a very small trattoria and reservations are a must.

Several times we had stayed at the Excelsior and have had some wondeful meals around that area.Some right on Via Venato and some on little side streets near the hotel. The food was was great,they were casual,but alas I have no names..we just tend to wander and find something we think looks good. There wer quite a lot smallish places to eat along the way that were not "stuffy".

• 1 month later...
Has anyone got any recommends for a quality traditional Italian restaurant nearish to the Via Veneto. We would be prepared to take a short taxi ride. It is for a special occasion and we do not want dinner suit formal but fabulous memorable food in a casual setting. We are prepared to pay for something special if anyone knows somewhere. We have looked on TA but there thousands and its hard to narrow down. Any advice would be appreciated.

I can't remember the website, but there are some rooftop dinner venues in ROme. Try googling it. Also, the Hotel Excedra right off the Piazza Republica is pretty good as well...

I rarely look at TA for restaurant recs - too tourist-oriented and everything is lumped in together (where a gelateria can be #1 on the list ahead of the best restaurant in town!!!)

I'll suggest you post your request for info on Chowhound. It is a great resource for finding good places to eat anywhere. Several of the posters on the Italy board are ex-pats or very friendly "locals".

I also just looked on Katie Parla's and Elizabeth Mincilli's apps (I use them all the time when I'm in Rome. Dealt with Katie personally and she never steers me wrong) to see what they recommend in the Via Veneto area; only a fish restaurant and a coffee shop. Not encouraging, IMHO.