My Cheers! Experience

ryanpatricksmom

1. If you get a drink at a bar that is inside, your drink will come in a glass glass. If you get it from a bar on the Lido deck, it will come in a plastic glass. Just like if you get a Corona inside, it's in a bottle, outside it's poured into the plastic funnel Corona cup.

2. No, there will not be a hassle at all. Just make sure you know the rules.

The restrictions are spelled out with the program. 15 alcoholic drinks a day from 6 AM- 559 AM. 5 minute interval between ordering. Unlimited soda, juice and non alcoholic drinks. No floaters, no buckets of beer. Good for drinks up to 10.00 before tip. So, you can get an upgraded drink at the Alchemy bar for 9.95 and it qualifies. Any drinks over 10.00 as well as bottled water will be charged at a 25% discount. Taxed per drink while in embarkation port until you hit international waters as well as any US port stops such as Key West. You can buy the program on day 1 or 2 and there is no retroactive credit if you decide to purchase on day 1 after you have had a couple of beers. You will still be charged for those beers and they will not count towards your 15. If you think you'll drink more than 15 drinks in a day, you can buy them up to # 14. At # 15, you're cut off.

Thank you SNJ I think I will try the cheers program this cruise and decide if its worth it I doubt I can drink more than 15 so that should not be a problem. thanks again

I experienced the same thing when wanting a drink in a tall glass. I wrote to John Heald and below is his answer. Apparently, no one has told the bartenders they can put the drink in a tall glass. I am taking a copy of this email next time I cruise.

Theresa Leggett asks:

Hi John: I have asked this once before here and also when I received the survey upon my return from my cruise, but have not received an answer. I hope you can help because this made no sense to me. I was on the May 4 Carnival Breeze cruise and will say had a wonderful time for the second year in a row. I purchased the Cheers program, like I did in 2013 on the Carnival Breeze. What is bothering me is that most bartenders on the 2014 cruise said they were not permitted to make me a rum and Diet Coke in a tall glass. For example, pour one shot of rum in a tall glass and fill the remainder of the glass with diet coke. I don’t understand this. I could order a drink such as a Frog’s Island Ice Tea which contains several shots of liquor and it is served in a tall glass, but I was not able to get one shot of liquor in a tall glass with Diet Coke. Diet Coke doesn’t count toward the 15-drink limit in the Cheers program so I don’t know what the reasoning is. On several occasions, I would purchase a rum and coke in the small glass, wait five minutes and go back to the bar for a Diet Coke, which was served in a tall glass and mix the two together. Please provide me with an answer. Thank you.

John says:

Hello Theresa Leggett

I’ve been exchanging emails with Eddie Allen, our VP of beverage operations, and he confirms that you can and should have been able to and apologies that you were told this was not the case. I truly appreciate you telling me and he will make sure the message is received and understood. Thanks then for letting us know and I do hope you had a great cruise. Best wishes.

John

It would just be nice to buy it and be done with it, seems like there are so many things...drink has to be under this price, have to wait ten minutes, can't send my husband up to get my drink. Ugh. I go on vacation to relax...I will stick to my bucket of beers instead.

There has to be a limit on the price of the drink. Otherwise you could order high end scotch and tequila and pitchers of beer and then the program would not work. Also, the limit between drinks is only 5 minutes and if your DH goes to the bar to get 2 drinks and he has 2 cards, he will be able to get your drink of choice.