Family Verandah on 7 night Fantasy or 1 Bedroom Concierge Suite on 5 night Magic?

Tapi

Hi!

Just trying to get some feedback from Disney connoisseurs since this will be our first Disney cruise. We are trying to compare these two options. How does the reimagined Magic compare to the Fantasy? Will sailing on more lavish accommodations level the playing field between these two ships? We don't always subscribe to "longer cruise equals better". We would opt to sacrifice days in favor of a more memorable experience. By the way, the difference in cost between these two options is negligible.

Thanks for any input that you may provide! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Frankly, the Magic's concierge experience is far less than the Fantasy--no lounge, no sun deck, no "happy hour(s)." Yes, you get the concierge reception on boarding (basically a time to meet them and a place to drop your carry on...yes, you CAN make lunch out of the concierge munchies, but most people opt for real lunch) and you get one reception with character. They will deliver concierge munchies to your room each afternoon, and of course you can call when you need something.OK, you'll get a Ducky Williams lithograph...golf cart transportation on Castaway if requested, advance reservations, choice of dining rotation with prime table location, photos delivered to your stateroom for viewing, nice robes to use (not keep)...but these are small things to my mind. Basically, concierge on the Magic means you never stand in line at Guest Services and you get the reservations you want. If breakfast in your suite on the last day is meaningful to you, or any of the other perks really matters, then go for it. IMHO, on the classic ships, the benefit of concierge is the size of the suite. The concierge services are largely "fluff."

Concierge on the new ships --lounge available, happy hours with bartender (no charge), etc. makes it a much better service.

The difference between the two ships is largely technology. OK, decor is over the top in some places (check out the Palo bathroom!) But without knowing anything about ages and desires in your group....my take is that the Magic wins for space in the suite, but the Fantasy non-concierge would win for tech. If I had a teen, I'd consider the Fantasy. Frankly, I LOVE the Magic. Yes, I've done both, most recently Magic in September 2014.

But no, concierge on the Magic is concierge on the Magic. It doesn't make it equal to a cat 4 on the Fantasy. It makes it a DIFFERENT experience. The suite on the Magic will be larger and the staff will fuss over you. The Fantasy will be more high tech and have the newer ship features.

If you want the concierge experience, you can do the concierge family stateroom on the Fantasy--a MUCH better concierge experience but in a smaller living space. It really is a matter of what you want.

I DO love the Magic. But no way concierge on Magic = concierge on Fantasy.

If you're going for concierge experience, then the Fantasy wins, hands down.

You would have more space in the room on the Magic, though.

It sounds like you're not concerned about ports and length of cruise, so I won't mention that is always more important to me.

It sounds like you're not concerned about ports and length of cruise, so I won't mention that is always more important to me.

After being to the various Caribbean ports so many times, the ports are not as important. Length of cruise is more important, although the actual experience onboard the ship is the most important of all. We will go on a shorter sailing if the onboard experience will be substantially better, which is why I have the dilemma of whether to do a shorter cruise on a concierge suite or a longer cruise on a family verandah suite. The feedback that I have received on this thread has definitely provided some great food for thought, so I appreciate the replies. Thank you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry, I should have clarified. We've been to nearly all of the ports in the Caribbean that a ship can sail to, also. There are still a few that I haven't seen, that I would (almost) take any room, any ship, just so I could see those islands.

And there are some I avoid like the plague. And there are a few standout favorites that I'd go to on my favorite ships.....I personally prefer Disney's classic ships, although now that they've redone the Magic, I'm not sure I'd like it anymore. I wish that they'd brought out the Dream and Fantasy and yet left the Magic and Wonder alone, so people could choose which they prefer. But with the competition constantly coming out with more and more and more, I can see why Disney feels the need to add something....anything.....to stay somewhat in touch.

But, as I said before, if I were cruising on Disney, for concierge service alone, it would have to be the Fantasy or the Dream. I feel that some other lines still have Disney beat by a long shot in the concierge department.

I don't know why people are comparing concierge on the Magic to concierge on the Fantasy, as that is not the question at hand.

Based on what the OP asked, it is indeed a tough call. For most people, that is. To me it would be easy: concierge on the magic. Call me a snob (and people will), but I would never sail in a non-concierge cabin. So shorter cruise and older ship are far less important to me. To the OP, forget what advice you get from people here... What's important to YOU?!