Musical Instruments: Have you ever brought one aboard?

Cruisin' Chick

Hubby's been practicing his guitar just about everyday and would like to take his with us on our next cruise so he can keep up his skills. Has anyone else brought their musical instruments and was there any problem with going to a lounge or deck and practicing.

He's getting pretty good (and it's not like it's an electric guitar that would be heard a mile away).

I've been on several cruises where passengers have brought musical instruments with them on the cruise. The greatest majority of them have been string instruments such as banjos, guitars etc. I would venture to say that I wouldn't try to bring a piano onboard with me if I were you.:rolleyes:

My son has brought his acoustic guitar along on two cruises. No one minded and he'd have people gathered around listening when he'd try to find a quiet corner on deck to play. He was afraid he might bother someone, but guess not! LOL Folks really seemed to enjoy it.

Taters

Hubby was even checking some websites that handle musicians for websites. I guess he really does hate his job.;) My little one talked him into getting her an uke this summer so she may bring hers too. I know she won't mind not practicing the piano but our trip will be a week or two after her next recital so that won't be a problem.

All I care is that he doesn't make me unpack half of my stuff so there's room in the car/shuttle/taxi for the instrument. Hmm, maybe I can work this to my advantage.:) :)

Um, I would consider it intrusive and presumptuous if someone sat down next to me and broke out a guitar, harmonica, or ukelele. It wouldn't ruin my day and I probably wouldn't say anything, but I would probably get up and move if I couldn't tune it out. Just a minor annoyance, like someone nearby having a long conversation on their walkie-talkie.

The fact that you asked the question, though, tells me that you guys are not inconsiderate.

Now, if he were to start playing softly in some deserted part of the ship, like (on some ships) midship on the promenade deck, then as I walked by, I might stop and listen, or not. It wouldn't bother me at all. And it would last exactly as long as I wanted it to, and not a minute longer.

Heck, have him set out a tip jar! People are so used to tipping he'll pay for the cruise! ;)

Better yet, if he wants to play "near" other people, you might suggest he go to open-mike nights in town, where people go to hear budding talent.

Archived