How prices have changed

DevonianCruiser

I just posted this elsewhere but

My 1st cruise in 1997 was two weeks in the Caribbean sailing out of San Juan on the Norwegian Sea (smaller ship around 40,000 tonnes I think). We paid £1500 each for the worlds smallest inside cabin and no perks.

My upcoming cruise is two weeks sailing out of Barbados on the P & O Ventura in a balcony cabin for £999 and £100 onboard credit. I've also had some amazing deals on NCL since.

Not many things you can get cheaper 17 years on. Admittedly in my experience the quality of the main dining rooms on ships isn't what it was as I think many cruise lines now encourage you to go for paid dining but that said I'm amazed and happy how much more my £ can buy :D

Basic economics. Previously, the quantity demanded was higher than the quantity supplied, so each "unit" could be sold at a higher price. Now, there are more ships, so the quantity demanded is much closer to the quantity supplied. Prices go down.

Either way, I appreciate cheaper cruises too!

How true.

Our first cruise was in 93', Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage.

We went to a travel agent, hard to find a cruise expert then. One could not book something like a cruise without a travel agent then.

DW and I had an inside, there was only 1 way to this cabin, I think it was directly over the propeller. Was about $2,700 per person, didn't want to spend more for a balcony then. And to us, it was the "Cat's Meow".

The ship was built in 1957, had the 6" high thresholds you had to step over to move around the ship.

Now we cruise in a suite, for less then that.

Things change, but cruising is so much more today, then what was available 21 years ago. :)

I agree that cruising often seems terribly inexpensive now. We are going on the Breakaway out of New York at the end of the month with a balcony and an all inclusive rate of about $150/night for the 2 of us. Food, transportation and entertainment included!

We are staying in Manhattan for 2 nights before and 2 nights after the cruise. Will pay A LOT more than $150/night just for the room!

I wish I lived close to a port. Would cruise so often at last minute rates.

Now, if NCL would just get some competition in Hawaii, the prices would have to come down -- right?? We should have cruised Hawaii when NCL had three ships there.:(

Since the POA only hits USA ports it is flagged in the USA. As a result one should expect the prices to be higher. Other cruise lines sail into and out of Hawaii and are not USA flagged, can offer lower rates. This will probably not change any time soon.

Yep on my first cruise in 1997 for two weeks the MDR food was amazing, so good in fact we ate every night apart from one. On my two week this summer we only ate in the MDR 3 times. Food was fine but not like back then.

My memories from my first cruise was looking forward to all the courses, even the salad where the waiter brought round a selection of sauces like the thousand Island and blue cheese. A salad seemed to be a big thing the :cool:

Nowadays it's the speciality restaurants which are the appeal for us.