Learned lessons from past cruises for the newbies

jlmack269

I have learned a few things about what to take cruising each cruise.

1.I print out my luggage tags, fold and cover with clear packing tape. I purchased a small package of zip ties and use them to attach to any and all bags going on board.

2.I take a photo of my luggage ( in case my tape and zip tied tags get torn off).

3. I take a few small bungee cords to attach smaller bags to the top of my luggage. We always self debark and it makes the luggage easier to handle.

4. We spent the extra money to purchase luggage with the 4 spinner wheels, much easier to handle.

5.The next cruise will include a small door prop to hold the door open to hear debark instructions.

6. If you have a room with multiple people, you can add a bit of privacy by buying an expanding tension curtain rod and a cheap curtain. you can extend this over the hallway in the cabin. It works in a lot of the cabins that have an entrance with the storage on one side and the bathroom on the other.

7. You will not need beach towels, the ship provides them to use on board and on excursions.

Any other suggestions?

One suggestion I thought was fantastic came from the CD on the Ecstasy. He said every port day, before you depart the ship, take a picture with your phone or camera that you will be carrying off of the emergency contact phone number on the back of the Fun Times. They differ according to what port you are in, and you will have that number at your fingertips if you have an emergency and need to use it.

For those traveling by air one bit of advice I'll give is this. When we get to the security point, where the X-ray machines are before we put our things through the machine one of us goes through & waits as if there's a delay ie someone sets the machine off your passports, wallets etc are just sat there & anyone could pick them up & walk off with them.

We always do this too.

I bring a tiny purse...I have two--one has a strap that goes around my wrist, one has a shoulder-length strap. They are barely large enough to hold a pen, a folded up daily program, key card, reading glasses, but they are a necessity. A lot of my dinner clothes don't have pockets! And I can put all my gambling chips in there, too. Provided I win any.

One suggestion I thought was fantastic came from the CD on the Ecstasy. He said every port day, before you depart the ship, take a picture with your phone or camera that you will be carrying off of the emergency contact phone number on the back of the Fun Times. They differ according to what port you are in, and you will have that number at your fingertips if you have an emergency and need to use it.

I've seen this tip many times, but I'm a bit reluctant to do this (I always put the day's newsletter in my purse for reference) because the one time I'd need that info, it'll be the time that my camera needs fresh batteries (and the time that I forgot to put a new set in my purse). I do make a mini sign with my cell phone number and email address and take a photo of that as my first one on each memory card, just in case I do lose my camera.

I've seen this tip many times' date=' but I'm a bit reluctant to do this (I always put the day's newsletter in my purse for reference) because the one time I'd need that info, it'll be the time that my camera needs fresh batteries (and the time that I forgot to put a new set in my purse). I do make a mini sign with my cell phone number and email address and take a photo of that as my first one on each memory card, just in case I do lose my camera.[/quote']

I've also read to include your room number on the ship. That way if someone finds it on the ship, they can get it to you without having to wait till they get home. Assuming your phone wouldn't work onboard and they don't want to pay for internet to email you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like spreadsheets. I know they are not for everyone, but I find them very helpful. I build one for each trip. I list each date, where we will be, when we arrive and/or depart. Where we will stay (if not on ship), plans for the day. This would include tour (ship or private) info. Who organized, when & where to meet & cost.

Shortly before leaving home. I add blank lines between each date and print it off. I use a magnet to attach it to the wall of our cabin and write in additional info as needed.

Love this idea! I am *such* a spreadsheet nerd. :)

I know this is unrelated but I've seen it on so many threads. If anyone could just answer my question and then we can move on...what does DH mean? People usually say it when referring to their significant other...I just can't figure it out!

Dear, or darling, Husband,

Replace H with

W = Wife

S = Son

D = Daughter

just a bit of shorthand to save some typing.