1st time in/out of Pt Canaveral/Orlando, need ideas

Viklynn

While on the Halloween Carnival Magic cruise we booked a cruise on the Liberty for the March 1st sailing. Since we live in KS we usually drive to Galveston, this will be our first trip out of Port Canaveral. Need tips on getting to and from airport, hotels and if we rent a car is that easy to return day of cruise and get to port? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Would like to be close to port and beach, but don't want to blow the bank before the cruise starts :) This will be our 7th cruise with Carnival, first on the Liberty.

Edited by Viklynn

So the biggest close airport is Orlando (MCO). All major airlines come into this one. There are a few smaller airports within range as well (Melbourne, Daytona Beach, West Palm Beach) that you can also check.

There are rental car companies within 5 miles of the port and provide free shuttle transportation back/forth.

Nearby is the Kennedy Space Center if you have some extra time. Beaches are Cocoa and Titusville. Hotels are nearby as well, but have no recommendations since I have family in Orlando and take an hour drive (with rental car) to the port and back.

Thanks for the reply, I was really leaning towards having a rental car since we are planning on flying into Orlando 2 days before the cruise and would be nice to have our own ride to explore. The space center would be awesome to see!

and if the weather is nice and you like beaches, one of the better ones is Playa Linda. To get to it, you need to go through the Cape Canaveral property. It is also the closest public beach to the launch pad for the Apollo and Shuttle missions.

Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach are also within an hour north of the port straight up I95

Thanks for the reply, I was really leaning towards having a rental car since we are planning on flying into Orlando 2 days before the cruise and would be nice to have our own ride to explore. The space center would be awesome to see!

The three closest hotels to the port are Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn and Radisson At The Port. All three offer shuttle service to the port......check with each one for the rate you need to make.

One of the rental car agency is literally at the end of the driveway of the CI&S, but I cannot remember which one.....sorry....

First off, the Orlando airport (MCO) is a straight shot to the port. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get to the port depending on traffic. Bring quarters because there are toll booths along the way. Budget car rental has an office just a couple of miles from the port. When we cruise out of PC, we stay at the Radisson at the Port. They have a beautiful pool with waterfall and hot tub all made from stones (fake of course). They also have an outdoor Tiki bar and an onsite restaurant. There is a McDonalds across the street, an Italian restaurant on one side and a Mom and Pop restaurant on the other side. There also is a go-cart minature golf course business close by.

When we go, we rent the car at the airport, drive around until the morning of the cruise. Then I take the car rental back to the Budget office there. I get on their shuttle to the ship and they drop me off at the Radisson. Then I get with the rest of my family, get on the hotel shuttle and head to the ship. Budget does not charge extra for dropping the vehicle off at a different place than where you picked it up.

If you do go to the Radisson, make sure you sign up for the ship shuttle right away. I believe they start the shuttles at 10:30 or 11.

If you plan on staying after the cruise, we stay again at the Radisson. Family gets on the Radisson shuttle and I get on the Budget shuttle. They go to the hotel and I get another vehicle. Then when we get to the airport, we drop it off there. Google Radisson at the port. They have some great pictures of the hotel and the pool.

Edited by RWolver672

Me and the family will be on that cruise with you!!! We plan on staying at the Hyatt Place Hotel the night before in Orlando. The Hyatt Place has some of the best rates for the size of the room. All there rooms are very spacious rooms and amenities. Love there Hotels. Port Canaveral for the size seemed very organized and quick with getting on and off the ship. You are gonna love the Liberty also. The Liberty and her sister the Glory are our favorite ships. Not to small and not to big, with all the nice upgrades of Funships 2.0.

If you're interested we can get together for somethings. Maybe even go in together on some transportation to the port if you'd like. Save some $$$$.

hit me up at ffmack836@gmail.com

Will need to at least do a meet on board for sure! We have been on the Conquest and Valor which I believe is also the same class so looking forward to adding the Liberty to the list. Just bought a shirt with all the ships listed, I think I should work on visiting all of them at least once...or twice :)

I second Radisson Resort at the Port. It's a nice property with a great location. As soon as you make a reservation, call the hotel directly and put your name on the list for the shuttle to the port. They make an advance list for that, and if you wait until you get there to sign up, you will have to wait until later to transfer to the ship. I think this is the closest hotel to the port.

Edited by winddawn

We flew in the day before, rented from alamo, and stayed in titusville. (Cheaper than the port area motels) Day of, DH dropped me and luggage at port and then returned the car. Shuttle brought him to me. It was all very easy. We stayed a week after so rented from alamo again. We went to Kennedy after the cruise. If you like shrimp, Dixie crossroads in titusville had the best Royal red shrimp ever. So good we went back after the cruise. Yum-EEE!!

Edited by kona_wahine

There are many beachfront hotels right in Cocoa Beach, only 10 minutes from the cruise terminal if you wish to jump start your vacation and start enjoying the ocean as soon as you get there. We stayed at the Doubletree and we really enjoyed the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app