Thomson Spirit review Oct 14 Aegean Adventure-Eastern Odyssey

Hi everyone.

Back safe and sound from a lovely cruise on Spirit, just done this review:

We departed from Limassol on 22nd Oct after an uneventful flight from Manchester. We took M&D with us again but left them more to do their own thing this time as they now know the “cruising ropes”, mainly meeting up at mealtimes and for the evening entertainment.

Being a sister ship to the Celebration we had no trouble finding our way around, the decor has not been updated to the same level as Celebration but it was fine, always in good order and spotlessly clean. We had 2 inside cabins next door to each other, 470 and 474, our cabin Stewards, Marissa and Sandy were superb, so helpful and caring to M&D, also obtaining a stool to use in the shower. Mum is in a wheelchair and cannot walk more than a few steps unaided so we were concerned that a non-adapted cabin would be unsuitable, however as there were no adapted cabins available they decided to go for it and see how an inside worked out. As it turns out it was better for Mum, although the wheelchair could not go into the cabin, she could reach the walls of the cabin to steady herself when getting around. This meant that she could get up in the middle of the night to use the toilet without having to get Dad up to help her. Us being next door also worked well.

We always use the MDR for meals in the evening, however after the first 2 nights we decided to try the buffet and never went back to the MDR. It’s nice being waited on, but the buffet meant that there was a lot more choice available, it just worked better for us. The food was excellent, the quality the same as we have had on the other ships, the carvery and other cuts of meat were good, not cheap stuff, and well prepared. The Indian and Oriental nights were particularly good, as good if not better than in good restaurants back home. One thing we did notice was that the buffet was a lot busier on the last night of each weekly cruise, the cynic in me says it’s done to avoid tipping the boys in the MDR, who knows??

The staff are fantastic, as they always are on Thomson ships, so friendly and helpful, I would say they are no more or less friendly than the other ships.

The entertainment was excellent, all very talented performers as usual with Thomson, they do provide the best west end style shows at sea. The day at sea plays were excellent and I can also recommend the backstage tour, it certainly gives an insight into the hard work they all do and the cramped facilities they put up with.

We were disappointed that we didn’t go to Mykonos the first week, we were told by the Captain that it was too windy and we therefore went to Rhodes instead. We were looking forward to this as the Majesty was due in port the same day and we wanted to meet up with some of our friends that work on the ship. The cruise news informed us that the Majesty was at the Island of Syros. When we returned home we found out that the Majesty had been to Mykonos on that day. It seems that Thomson don’t tell you the whole story, only what they want you to hear, a bit like the Celebration not making Santorini a few times over the summer when we know other ships have made it in... Hmm... not happy :mad:

The itinerary was good, however many people we spoke to were unhappy about missing Israel the first week and Beirut the second. This didn’t bother us as we knew about the Israel change before we booked and would rather be safe in the changed port of Mykonos than Beirut. So we visited Piraeus and Rhodes twice on this cruise. The X80 bus service from Piraeus to Athens is excellent, you have to get a €4 day ticket from the kiosk close to where the HoHo buses are, and the bus stop is just across the road. We just waved off the hoards of taxi drivers that were stopping at the bus stop telling us that there were no buses today. The bus driver was really good, he got out of the bus at the stop for Acropolis and Plaka and explained to everyone which way to go for the different attractions, inviting us back onto the bus if we wanted to get off at the next stop which is Syntagyma Square, and told us exactly where the stops are in order to get back. (Just outside McDonald’s from Syntagyma Square) The journey takes 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.

Whilst in Rhodes we visited the Jewish Museum, we are not Jewish, but found it a really interesting hour or so. The history of the Jews on the Island is so fascinating, and told really well.

We got the local bus to Knossos from Heraklion, €3 each return and €6 each into the attraction, a taxi driver wanted €60 just for the transport. The bus station is a 10 minute walk from the port and the bus drops you off right outside Knossos.

In summary it was a very relaxing cruise, mainly because we have done most of the ports before and didn’t feel the need to rush around and see everything. The Spirit is a fine vessel and we would not hesitate in sailing on her again.

Ps:

Some cabin and ship pictures:

https://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures/2000

Edited by joeholiday2

Pleased it all worked out so well for you and especially your Mum and that you had such a good time with everything on board up to expectations. Pity about missing Mykonos - we did too in August. There is a berth at Mykonos but just for one ship I think so perhaps that's why Majesty got in but it wasn't suitable for you to tender. I suppose they had to decide on one or the other to go elsewhere but still the misinformation isn't very good.

Ggett

Great to hear the X80 worked well. Your experience of the driver was just like ours. We were the only passengers at 7.30 (we wanted to get up and off the Acropolis asap as temperatures were quickly rising to 40°+) and it was like a personal taxi transfer. We wanted to give him a tip but he wouldn't take it.

I've enjoyed reading your review Joe and pleased that the Spirit is getting the thumbs up. :)

Great review Joe. We used the Hoho bus in Athens as we had not been before and wanted to see as much as possible, but if we go again we shall certainly use the bus and see some of the city on foot.

Noted the Jewish museum for Rhodes too :)

Funny you should say about the buffet. We only used the MDR a couple of times on both our recent cruises (Spirit and Majesty) We felt there was a lot more choice in the buffet and as we don't like big meals it suited us fine. We also noted lots of people using the buffet on the last night :rolleyes: But you shouldn't feel you have to tip anyway as the tips are included. We have never had the same waiters as we don't always go at the same time every night. One thing we noticed on the Spirit, the waiters were quite insistant on you coming back to them every night (Gill will back me up on this) and we felt uncomfortable so used the buffet most nights. They didn't do this on the Majesty as far as I know.

I think Richard Grey and his team were the best we have ever seen on any ship, especially as they had to improvise quite a lot with the extra days at sea and speaking of extra days at sea - I will put a new post about that :)

Glad you all had a good time:)

Very interesting review, Joe, and I totally agree with you regarding the buffet restaurant (always used the MDR for dinner until I tried the Spirit's buffet) and the entertainment show team was excellent. The ACD (cannot remember his name) was very funny too. Thank you.

Edited by Jakanne1

Was his name Adam, Jackie?

No, Linda. Just checked my travel diary and his name was Brett. Watched Higher or Lower and Mr & Mrs and his repartee was very quick and a bit risqué, but the children were at the Kids Club. :rolleyes::);)

We ended up at Mykonos the second week when we should have been in Beirut, docked and with a free shuttle. It was very windy. We were due to dock there and the maj tender the week before, so I don't know how they decided what happened. We ended up going to Rhodes twice.

Agree about Richard, he is a great CD. Shauna, the ents host has a really good voice, she deserves to be in the shows.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

I found the Spirit MDR disappointing. Used it for breakfast a couple of times and gave up after the staff just didn't bring us tea/coffee until we asked a few times. We like a table for two sometimes and felt you were putting them out by having one.

Tried using the MDR for lunch one day, my wife had not been feeling too good with the rough weather and wasn't in the mood for talking. Asked for a table for two, was sent down the aisle and guided to a large table already occupied by a few guests. Again I said we wanted a table for two and was told they don't have any at lunch time!!

Without sounding too rude, I decide how I wish to dine and if I want to join others on a table. What really annoys me is that these were the questions we put to the TA before booking.

Anyway, the Lido was good for the rest of the cruise for all our meals, not quite up to the year before, but good all the same.