24 hour Bangkok layover

lhall85917

We are flying to Perth to board a cruise next March. Tickets were booked with FF miles last spring and take us through Shanghai then Bangkok on our way to Perth. Originally we had a 2 hour layover in Bangkok then a flight arriving in Perth March 12. Our cruise leaves on the 14th.

We received a flight change notice that now gives us just over 24 hour layover in Bangkok and arriving in Perth on the 13th. The flight in to Bangkok arrives at 9:30 pm then leaves at about midnight the next day.

I've called United and the only thing they can do is get us in to Perth on the 11th. Fortunately, we are flying 1st Class and hope to be somewhat rested so this may not be as bad as we first thought if we arrive in Perth on the 13th. Perhaps we can take advantage of a quick Bangkok tour during our day there and see something we never imagined we would see!

Anyway...sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm hoping to get some thoughts on how to handle this and what might be good options if we do have 24 hours in Bangkok.

Yes, take advantage of the longer stop-over.

When you leave, you'll cuss that you hadn't made it a couple of days longer. ;)

We've never been able to get luggage checked through to our end destination when we've had an overnight stop-over - but then we've always flown cattle-class. So you may or may not have to haul your checked bags with you.

Book a hotel down-town, not at the airport. A river-view room fronting the Chao Phraya River, such as the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Not the cheapest hotel in Bangkok, but Bangkok hotels aren't expensive. Right by the pier for the express ferry up the river past Wat Arun to the Royal Palace, & for a long-tail boat ride through the klongs (canals) where houses on & alongside the canals range from the wealthiest to the poorest, & for a lazy cruise down the river on a converted rice barge.

Stax of other sights in central Bangkok, but with your time-scale you'll only be able to choose two, mebbe three, as well as get a flavour of this vibrant & varied city.

I don't know if Bangkok has ho-ho buses, I don't recall ever seeing one, but although they're great for your circumstances in some cities I very much doubt they'd be worthwhile in Bangkok - the traffic can be awful.

Hence the value of travelling by river. And perhaps by tuk-tuk though there's a few things to bear in mind with them, or the skytrain.

The timings of your journeys from & to the airport mean that traffic will be light. :)

Best to pre-book a private car transfer, and perhaps the return transfer - or do that thro' your hotel.

You'll sleep well on the second leg ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull