Hilo tour recommendations

travelmama06

We have a couple of choice to make that are part of the cruise pkg and tour credit that we purchased.

On Hilo would you recommend we do the Volcanoes National Park and Rainbow falls OR Lava Forest and Rainbow Falls - they both sound interesting?!

Thanks once again for any info!!

We have a couple of choice to make that are part of the cruise pkg and tour credit that we purchased.

On Hilo would you recommend we do the Volcanoes National Park and Rainbow falls OR Lava Forest and Rainbow Falls - they both sound interesting?!

We did the Volcanoes National Pack with Macadamia Nut factory. A short city tour was also included.

It is possible to fit a lot into a day. Our small group tour included VNP, Thurston Lava Tube, Rainbow Falls, a coffee farm, orchid farm, Mac nut store, a beach where we saw turtles and maybe a few others I can't remember. I would definitely make sure VNP is on the schedule.

Edited by punkincc

Do you recall tour company ?

Yes, it is Mary Lou's Big Island Guided Tours. It is a family owned and operated company and each tour is guided by either Mary Lou, her husband Ken, and now their son as well. No more than 6 on each tour. We were ahead of the big tour buses most of the time. We had Mary Lou, but had a chance to talk to Ken prior to the tour. They are wonderful people and treat you like family. Vary highly rated on Cruise Critic and you can read reviews on Trip Advisor, sister site of CC as well. They also do tours in Kona and we hope to book with them there on our next trip.

Yes, it is Mary Lou's Big Island Guided Tours. It is a family owned and operated company and each tour is guided by either Mary Lou, her husband Ken, and now their son as well. No more than 6 on each tour. We were ahead of the big tour buses most of the time. We had Mary Lou, but had a chance to talk to Ken prior to the tour. They are wonderful people and treat you like family. Vary highly rated on Cruise Critic and you can read reviews on Trip Advisor, sister site of CC as well. They also do tours in Kona and we hope to book with them there on our next trip.

Do you recall what type of pricing they have?

We used Mary Lou's Tours in August and they charged $75 per person and it was totally worth it!

This was our fee as well and I agree, totally worth it. No payment upfront, they collect cash or card at the end of the tour.

Nancy, normally I would agree with you about the car. We did just that in Maui, and have done that in Kauai as well. But we went with this tour primarily due to their wonderful reviews, the fact that it is a small group, not a big tour bus and the fact that this is not an overnight port and we had a deadline to be back at the ship that afternoon.

As far as seeing what you want to see, at the beginning of the tour they will state what the suggested itinerary is from a long list of options. If everyone is in agreement, that is the plan. There was always flexibility. A young couple with us really wanted to take a quick swim with the turtles and everyone else concurred, so they got their swim. If you have something which is really important for you to see, let them know during the booking process to avoid possible disappointment. For a bit more, they will do a private and completely customized tour.

So we had a completely relaxing day with no stress about car pick up and return, getting back on time, no squabbles with the DH about directions and missed turns, and it was just so much fun!

FWIW, we used Ricky's Tours in September... $65pp.

We hit all the spots... Rainbow Falls, the Japanese Park, VNP and all it had to offer. Mac Nut farm & orchid farms on the way back to town. The tour finished with a stop at a black sand beach... even saw several sea turtles basking in the afternoon sun.

Ricky hits all the stops as the "BIG" buses.... but he has the stops timed to avoid the larger groups. Buses were leaving as we arrived or arriving as we were leaving, so we never had to deal with huge crowds. We were back at the ship with plenty of time to spare.

I'd give Ricky a thumbs up!

Edited by azappraiser

This was our fee as well and I agree, totally worth it. No payment upfront, they collect cash or card at the end of the tour.

Nancy, normally I would agree with you about the car. We did just that in Maui, and have done that in Kauai as well. But we went with this tour primarily due to their wonderful reviews, the fact that it is a small group, not a big tour bus and the fact that this is not an overnight port and we had a deadline to be back at the ship that afternoon.

As far as seeing what you want to see, at the beginning of the tour they will state what the suggested itinerary is from a long list of options. If everyone is in agreement, that is the plan. There was always flexibility. A young couple with us really wanted to take a quick swim with the turtles and everyone else concurred, so they got their swim. If you have something which is really important for you to see, let them know during the booking process to avoid possible disappointment. For a bit more, they will do a private and completely customized tour.

So we had a completely relaxing day with no stress about car pick up and return, getting back on time, no squabbles with the DH about directions and missed turns, and it was just so much fun!

We agree with Punkincc above. That is what MaryLou's charged us. So worth it. Loved the idea that you pay @ the end. No deposit up front. If most agree they will take you almost anywhere. They are very flexiable.

The time I called Rickys he said he has a set tour of the places he goes to & does not vary from those places unless you want a private tour, which is way more $ & you must get so many people yourself on that private tour.

Its a no brainer go with Marylou's. They treat you like family:D

We used Mary Lou's Big Island Tours in both Hilo and Kona. Her husband Ken was our guide on both days but we met Mary Lou and she's great too. Ken gave permission to post a couple of photos.

Mary Lou

159eaaad-b640-44f0-8b71-f8a6b941d0d2_zpsc8e1d0bb.jpg

Ken - he is the tall (very tall lol) gentleman in the middle. We were so lucky that the four of us who were cruising together had Ken as our guide for both days. Cannot express how much we enjoyed the time we spent with him.

68d24244-fc02-487f-aac4-d24d49c54753_zpse2dd344d.jpg

Ken and Mary Lou have matching vehicles - comfortable and clean.

010e7af3-f053-44af-940c-a7271d7bd650_zpsf4d27d0f.jpg

Touring with Ken was like touring with a good friend very familiar with the area. If you are active and want to do some serious hiking he's up for that too. We were easy on him :)

• 1 month later...
How far in advance did you have to book to reserve your tour? We are going to inquire with them about a private tour. Did you have to leave any deposit?

I don't recall how far in advance we booked, but the earlier the better. They are a very popular tour and have a max of 6 per vehicle with 3 drivers. If only 18 people book before you, you are out of luck.

We paid no deposit up front for the regular tour. Full payment was collected at the end of the tour. Not sure what their policy is for private tours. Not sure how many in your party, but each vehicle tours independently ( we did not travel as a caravan ), so if you have 5 or 6 in your group, you essentially have a private tour without paying the extra $$.

We used Mary Lou's Tours in August and they charged $75 per person and it was totally worth it!

Mary Lou's tours were full when we were there and her husband recommended we contact Big Island Aina Tours (http://www.ainatours.com). They also do small group tours and it was an amazing day!!! Our guide was one of the owners and she tailored the day to our desires. No one in our group wanted to see the orchids but I asked about black sand beaches. Everyone was enthusiastic about that. We saw black sand beaches and turtles.

Everyone is booked I tried so far for Hilo...Mary Lou, Ricky, Geckobigisland...any other suggestions for smaller vehicle tours?

See the post immediately prior to yours. Did you try that recommendation? If Ken of Mary Lou's Tours is recommending Big Island Aina Tours, then I think that is probably your best bet. Their opinion would hold a lot of weight with me! I'm sure they are aware of which tour companies deliver a comparable experience.

Edited by punkincc

We were on the Dec 6, 2014 cruise and did not know about the port changes until we almost there. We were in Hilo from 3:00 to 7:30 (back on board). We had booked an excursion with Ken Smet of Marylou's Big Island Guided Tours to go to Volcano National Park, Thurston Lava Tube, Rainbow Falls and Richardson Ocean Park. We got in touch with Ken as soon as we could since our day and time of arrival had changed. When we spoke to Ken, he already knew of the change of itinerary. He told us that he was still available to take our part of six out at a lesser fee since our time was cut short. We immediately headed for Volcano National Park to arrive ahead of the large buses. We then went to the steam vents and Thurston Lave Tube. Ken joined us on the walk through the tube pointing out things along the way. It was already getting dark, but I asked if we could still go to Rainbow Falls. So he took on the “Twilight tour” of Rainbow Falls. It was beautiful. You could still see the falls, but the sounds were truly amazing—frogs singing. I was surprised to find out they do not have fireflies there. We were very pleased with this tour. His phone number is 509.690.816 in case your are interested.