Chikungunya ???

RotaryMike

Big article in New York Times travel section on 11/09/14 - "A Mosquito-Borne Virus Sweeps the Caribbean". St. Martin is listed in the highest # cases catagory , suggests using sprays with high DEET contact, and applying it AFTER sunscreen.

Has anyone who has been there been affected ?

We were there last February and it was very much a huge concern. Probably not so much when you're on a cruise ship because we saw most of the mosquitoes in the evenings. They weren't around the beaches during the day. We spent 2 weeks there and talked to several people who had a spouse or good friend who had gotten the virus. They were very, very sick. I'm not sure how that would have changed in the past 8 months. But I really wouldn't worry if you're just there for a day. Go and have fun. Spray yourself with DEET if you're worried.

I live in Haiti and was infected with chickengunya last May. It is no joke. You DO NOT want this virus.

If you are traveling in the Caribbean during the rainy season, then you should be concerned about mosquitoes, no matter the time of day. DEET is an easy defense, and when it comes to this particular virus, it's better to be safe than sorry. And sorry doesn't even begin to describe how you will feel if you catch chickengunya!

Have a fun trip!