wind on balcony

cajinyank

we just booked our first balcony room my question is how windy does it get a friend told us we would not be able to use balcony while ship is underway. one reason we got the room was for sitting out on balcony while between the islands in Alaska.

we just booked our first balcony room my question is how windy does it get a friend told us we would not be able to use balcony while ship is underway. one reason we got the room was for sitting out on balcony while between the islands in Alaska.

Yes you can sit on the balconies while you are moving . The only issue is that Alaska can be chilly at night as you go between the ports. We have found it is better to have an inside cabin and spend the extra money on excursions.

We recently had a sunset balcony on Diamond Princess in Japan. Even on really windy days when we were told to keep our balcony doors closed we could sit outside with no trouble.

We were Aloha deck, last cabin at the very back of the ship. I would book a cabin in this location every time!

Most balconies have windbreaks on both sides and you can enjoy them while at sea. There are a few balconies all the forward that have reports of wind issues and the last ones aft that have windbreaks only on one side that might have wind issues. If you want to post your exact cabin and ship you might get a more specific answer.

Unless the weather becomes real windy and nasty the balconies are just fine. The only thing to be aware of is close the balcony door when you exit the cabin. Otherwise the door to the hall becomes difficult to open and close. Other then that I love having a balcony and rarely have gone without one.

You should be fine. Like a previous poster mentioned, there are partitions between balconies that act as wind breaks. Our experience in Alaska was that we could comfortably sit on the balcony if we had a jacket on. We had drinks and snacks on our balcony a few times on the sunny days. Also, with a balcony you have a good chance of seeing wildlife from your cabin. We saw orcas, humpbacks and porpoises all from our balcony.

We have often sailed in interiors but were very glad to have the balcony in Alaska.

Don't know where your friend got her info, but we use our balcony all the time and never bothered by wind. The two side panels protect you from wind. If you lean over the balcony rail while the ship is underway, your hair will blow - same as sticking your head out of a moving car. On cold days and nights we dress warm and enjoy our balcony.

Balconies are wonderful as you are arriving and leaving ports.. At other times it will depend on wind direction across the ship, speed of ship and location of your cabin. With dividers on each side of your balcony, you should be able to find a nice comfortable location to sit while underway. The only time I really wouldn't bother with a balcony cabin would be a repositioning cruise without ports in the Fall or early Spring between LA and Vancouver.. that's a personal preference.

We enjoyed our balcony (port side) while on our Alaska cruise a few years ago. No problems with wind at all. I think it more depends on the actual weather conditions than on the movement of the ship. It was really nice, while in Glacier Bay, to be able to turn the TV to a channel where they had the Park Ranger (or whoever she was) narrating, propping our door open to hear that, instead of vying for position with the crowds above in the lounge. We could also pop in and out for another glass of wine, throw on an extra layer or wrap in a blanket (Glacier Bay was COLD in May - hey, it IS an icebox!)

Personally, I feel like a balcony is more necessary in Alaska than in the Caribbean.

Go the "Balcony", especially on an Alaskan Cruise,we used our balcony every day & night on our 14 days there,wouldn't consider anything else. Just enjoy it.

Never had an issue with wind except on rare windy days. We have done 3 balconies and our absolute favorite was one was on the back of the boat. :) it is nice to fine one with cover so if it is a rainy day when u visit the glacier you are more comfy. Agreed on balcony in Alaska being great investment!!!