The second city show

asda

I disagree - I thoroughly enjoyed second city on my BA cruise. And it was a full house with genuine laughs. We had Jaime Moyer as one of the cast members - she was in Jimmy Kimmel's pre Oscar skit and on parks & rec. I would take the second city fun over that DREADFUL comedian Michael Finney any day...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, much better than Mike F.

From my Pearl review last year:

"We had not gone to a single show all week, believe it or not. I had enjoyed the poolside bands, especially the Roots Link Caribbean-style Blues. I watched a bit of the White Hot party from afar, and it looked to be a really good use of the poolside area as a party space. But anyway, I did want to catch Second City’s “Unscripted” improv show. There are two of them—an earlier (730) one that is family-friendly, and an 1130 one that is adult only. We (DS11, DD17, and I) went to the earlier one and found it really funny and creative, so I snuck my sweet, innocent DD into the late show. She’s a speech/drama type, and like most teens, less innocent than she looks (but also mature enough to handle things appropriately). It was disappointing—it seemed that instead of real humor and creativity, they were just trying to work as much genital slang into a sketch as possible. So anyway—Second City, if you’re listening—make your “clean” show longer, and do it more often! It's actually better. "

YMMV...

The format is dated and the quality of the performances have got worse over the years. Some groups were inventive but is seems that just does not happen any more.

The problem is what do you replace it with.

Celebrity use sin city format and they are just as bad.

Comedy is the hardest gig to fill on ships especially when the pax mix US (non)humour does not travel and a lot of US don't get UK humour.

Another issue is most people don't go to live comedy gigs and think they can chat like they are watching TV.

Back to second city think bad whoslineisitanyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whose_Line_Is_It_Anyway?_(UK_TV_series)

Edited by insidecabin

Second City has a long history originating in Chicago. It is a mix of pre-written skits and true improv - The format, regardless of venue, has stayed the same. Second City Chicago alum include John Belushi, Alan Arkin, John Candy, Bill Murray, Shelley Long and Gilda Radner to name just a few. How good the show is truly depends on who is on stage the night you are there. I've seen second city productions in Vegas, Chicago and Toronto....have loved some, and hated others...but whenever I have the opportunity, I go. You could be watching the development of greatness on stage. I would have loved to see Belushi or Gilda on that stage in Chicago...

We saw all the nightly shows on the 7nt Pearl and would rank Second City tied at the bottom with one other singing and dancing show. I actually thought the Pearl dancers were quite talented, but the songs were not songs I enjoyed or had heard of, so if they could dance to some better tunes, they would be above Second City in our book. In the first 15min of Second City, everyone in our party had a puzzled look, but later on they did have 1 funny skit. So would still go watch them next time, but I wouldn't go if I had something better to do.

The people/passengers that were involved in the show seemed to be having a great time! This was the "adults only" show. My sister that I was with was laughing and liked it. I seen nothing funny about it! I realize that a lot of famous comedy actors came from Second City and I do love most of them and their humor, but these guys didn't get even a snicker out of me.

On the other hand, I found most of the entertainment on the Gem to be very good! I'll skip Second City should there be a next time!