Night before the cruise in NYC?

ilovelucy

Thinking of going to the Chelsea Market the day before our cruise, and just wondering if anyone is familiar with the area. We are looking at the Holiday Inn that is in Chelsea, not sure if that is a good idea or not. Would appreciate any advise from others that know the area. Thanks in advance.

Also, is that area close to ground zero?

It's a great neighborhood. I love Chelsea Market. It does get crowded with tourists, though. Tons to do and lots to see. Really really good places to eat. Grab lunch to go and if it's not too cold, walk up to the High Line and eat. One of my favorite places :)

Can't give any tips on the hotel, sorry!

Ground Zero really isn't Ground Zero anymore. The Freedom Tower is open for business. Please go visit the September 11th Tribute Center.

http://www.chelseamarket.com

http://tributewtc.org

http://www.thehighline.org

Have fun!

P.S. Chelsea Market used to be the Nabisco Cookie Factory. It's a great building!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

It's a great neighborhood. I love Chelsea Market. It does get crowded with tourists, though. Tons to do and lots to see. Really really good places to eat. Grab lunch to go and if it's not too cold, walk up to the High Line and eat. One of my favorite places :)

Can't give any tips on the hotel, sorry!

Ground Zero really isn't Ground Zero anymore. The Freedom Tower is open for business. Please go visit the September 11th Tribute Center.

http://www.chelseamarket.com

http://tributewtc.org

http://www.thehighline.org

Have fun!

P.S. Chelsea Market used to be the Nabisco Cookie Factory. It's a great building!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

if you are planning on going to the 9/11 memorial, they do recommend making a reservation on the website

Thanks for all of your information. Where is the best location within the city to stay the night before. I just want to park and see sites, Is Hells kitchen area a good place? I have no idea. :confused:

Are you driving in (I see "I just want to park"). Not being a wise guy...but then there are no good places to stay in Manhattan. Parking is very expensive, traffic congestion can be horrible at times. Driving from place to place within Manhattan to sightsee is not a good idea.

Its an indoor market so perfect to go to in January. As far as hotels, I live in NY so I dont have too much experience staying in NYC. I have enjoyed visitng the restaurant at Refinery Hotel which is located at 63 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 and it is have been piositively reviewed on Tripadvisor.

Chelsea market is a fun place, I am a chef and can spend hours in there just exploring. There is a creamery in there that has the best ice cream and the chocolate milk is awesome.

This is a really neat area, the High line is a really cool park built above ground on the old raised railway tracks. Take some time and explore that

The Hampton Inn in Carlstadt NJ is a great place to stay, one bus stop from the Port Authority terminal in Manhattan, with the return stop right at the hotel driveway. From there you can get the subway, a bus or taxi anywhere in the area.

Parking is free & if you would rather take a taxi/car service to the cruise terminal, you may be able to leave your car there for the week.

We have stayed at the Marriott Marque a time or two. We love that place, it has a 43 storie atrium. It is close to all the Broadway action. Battery Park area near the Freedom Tower was just a short subway ride away. We actually walked it one time. Yeah, that was a long walk.

Also at the Marriott we walked with our luggage to the ship. The cab ride is recommended for it sucked hauling that luggage all over.

there is a reason why they have the commercial "I LOVE NEW YORK" suggestion go on to a web site Big Apple greeters. this site is for a free walking guide, on the web site sell yourself to them. You might be lucky and get one. if you go you have hit the jack pot,, request Ellen.. Your greeter take you places that you would never even thinking about. We were so lucky when we had Ellen.. You are suppose to have the greeter for 2 to 3 hours. She stayed with us for over 6 hours. and then got us into a harlem church service when the guest line was wrapped around the block. Did i say it was free.

go to the high line ... grand central station use the subway system, if you are lost just ask someone on the street .. they will help you no question about it.. There is traffic and it is conjested. I would not even grab a cab you will be stuck in the traffic.

we were in NYC for 4 days and we slept a total of 14 hours, there is so much to see and do. The only thing we paid for was Rockerfeller (sp) centre. make a reservation for the WTC memorial so you can skip the lines.. there is so much to see and do ... strawberry fields.

I would take a cruise anytime out of NYC just to spend a couple of days there.

did i say I love NYC :D enjoy your time there...

A fun thing to do is to have real NY Chinese food at WoHop at 17 Mott St. DOWNSTAIRS. The only restaurant in Chinatown that often has a line. Dumplings, fried rice, hot and sour soup (or wonton), crispy noodles w/ duck sauce and roast pork chow fun. Nothing like it. Open 22 hours/day. Cash only.

Sent from my iPad using Forums