Question about Cagney's

Tee & Chilli

The fine print on the menu states steaks are cooked raw or under cooked. Can you order your steak medium well?

Of course you can. You can have it cooked however you like. I prefer mine medium-rare, so the disclaimer would apply to my steak.

Edited by ncklhaus

You can order the steak any way you like

Most of the great steakhouses like Peter Luger serve their steaks medium rare.

If you order it any other way you used to get a look of disgust from the waiter

I prefer medium rare and at both carney's and le bistro the steak was cooked to order and delish

Enjoy!!

What you read is small print that applies to many items on the menu and not specifically the steak. Most restaurants these day print that at the bottom of most/all pages. Check it out next go out to eat.

Pretty much a CYA practice.

You can get anything you want BURNT TO A CRISP if you want, just like any other restaurant. No problem at all.

It's actually more than a CYA warning...a warning is required by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as local food safety rules...that's why you'll find this or a similar warning on restaurant menus.

You are correct.

I tend to group CYA and "bureaucrats" regulations into the same bucket.

(I will try to avoid getting into a never ending, never solved, never benefiting discussions about bureaucrats that make regulations that are similar to laws, but without anyone voting on them)

How do you cook a steak raw?

The wording is "raw or undercooked" . It's standardized wording that is meant to cover the gamut of situations and products, including raw seafood such clams on the half shell, sushi and sashimi. Steak tartare is an example of a raw beef dish. But it also covers undercooked meats (such as beef cooked rare).