Carnival Spledor - can it fit more people in room than it is stated

ViNesvarbu

I booked trip with Carnival Splendor and my room states that this room an hold maximum 2 guest (balcony room, 7 deck). As we are family of 4, we booked 2 rooms. But we would prefer that in this room our 10yr old daughter would sleep with us, so total 3 guests (second room would be used just by my other adult kid). I called Carnival and I was told because this room is designated to have maximum 2 guests, they cannot bring in another cot bed. I wanted to ask you if anyone had similar problem - where they able to talk to person who cleans room and ask them for the extra cot and sheets?

I booked trip with Carnival Splendor and my room states that this room an hold maximum 2 guest (balcony room, 7 deck). As we are family of 4, we booked 2 rooms. But we would prefer that in this room our 10yr old daughter would sleep with us, so total 3 guests (second room would be used just by my other adult kid). I called Carnival and I was told because this room is designated to have maximum 2 guests, they cannot bring in another cot bed. I wanted to ask you if anyone had similar problem - where they able to talk to person who cleans room and ask them for the extra cot and sheets?

They said no - because it's a safety issue.

Cabin capacity is controlled by life jackets and life boat space - in additon to other things. So it's not just "adding" a person - in the even of an emergency there would be no way to ensure the safety of that extra guest - even a child.

Similar to the "my cabin says it can hold 4 - why can't I add someone" when the ship is already at capacity. ;)

Edited by happy cruzin

Realistically, they do not care where you sleep once you're on the ship. That is why it is such a non-issue to switch rooms around while on board.

Those posting that they are designated as per lifeboat capacity and vests. Etc... Yes, this is true - however booked as op described will ensure they do not overbook the ship in terms of lifeboat capacity, and if the life vest is in the adult kids room, which I assume is adjacent, then that would not be an issue either.

I am inclined to believe that if you speak with your room steward, he/she would happily make up the COUCH as a bed. Ymmv regarding a cot but the couch is a better option anyway IMO.

Your other option, if you wanted to ensure availability of an upper, would be to book a balcony room for 3 near the double occupancy kids room, if they allow it (they won't always) although you also could be bumped in that situation.

Anyhow, my money is on YES they will make up the couch in your room on request, and this would probably be your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On ours last year they just made the couch up for us. We had a party of four, myself and my friend,her husband and child. If the three were together I would have had to pay double so we booked it two and two and then I had the room to myself and they made the child a bed on the couch...no problems, I've never seen anyone take roll call...and just think about some of those cruisers who take the saying "whatever happens on board, stays on board" to heart and make a new friend...nobody really knows who's in whose room anyway

In regards to safety, If God forbid there had been an emergency I would rather my young child with me anyway.

Thank you everyone for replies. It was almost same price to book 2 separate rooms vs one room for 4 people, so we booked 2 rooms. So we are not bringing more people on board, we just changing cabins. Our kid is going to be with us all the time anyway, so we will move life jacket to our room. Cabins are not close together, another cabin is on 2nd floor.

So another question - can COUCH fit 10yr old? I looked and looked at pictures, probably best picture I found was here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44656750&postcount=4

It seems that she might fit, but I am not sure.

This is my 3rd time cruising. Five years ago we had 4 people cabin - no problems. Last August just 3 of us were on Carnival Fascination, we had inside room and we had cot bed - that was no problem as well. So I just assumed that adding cot bed will be no problem. Now I checked description of prev room and it was "3 guests max". This new room we got in balcony bigger than prev room on Carnival Fascination, but description "2 guests max" made me worry...

Again, thank you very much for your replies!

The 2 guests max is just a function of design in terms of occupancy of the life boats in that muster section. There is no difference in size between the standard balcony cabins that sleep 2, 3 or 4. All standard rooms wi have the couch which can sleep the 3rd and those that sleep 4 just have an upper come out of the ceiling above the couch - so no worries there.

The couch will definitely fit a 10 yr old - they actually will comfortably fit an adult. I recall they are the same length as the upper bunks, and about as long as the normal beds (maybe a few inches shorter?)

I chose to sleep on the couch instead if bed when I had a warm room once and it was fine - I'm 6' tall so she should have no problem!

The couch will definitely fit a 10 yr old - they actually will comfortably fit an adult. I recall they are the same length as the upper bunks, and about as long as the normal beds (maybe a few inches shorter?)

Mark,

I might be wrong, but rooms that have 3 guests capacity would have fold-out couch, and rooms for 2 guest would have just standard couch. I assume that you were in the room with couch that was folding out, right?

So would 10yr old fit on the couch that is not folding out?

nope, except for the very oddball cabin (i believe the captains suite is among the VERY FEW) - no couches fold out to a bed in the manner you'd expect from a 'pull out sofa'.

the couch stays the same size, they remove the back cushions, and make it up with sheets and pillows.

a 10 yr old or an adult can still comfortably fit on the standard couch made up to be a bed. like i said, i recall they are the same length as the uppers, which is about the same length as the normal beds - maybe a few inches shorter, but still perfectly adequate.

Mark - thank you very very much! If even adult can fit on sofa, then we should have no problems :)

Thanks again for your help!

i guarantee you'll have no problems :)

go ahead and reload, to see the actual picture - that one had problems so i added another one - with an adult sitting on the bed :D

I am taking it for granted that this adult is 25 or over.

I am guessing also you are talking about an oceanview or balcony room because if it is an inside cabin=-- there is no sofa.

In some cabins for two people the sofa does not convert to a bed..in other words the back does NOT come off like the picture posted.

Some cabins the sofa is a smaller love seat type.

Not all sofas in every cabin are the same.

here is a pic of a non converting sofa

https://consumeraffairs.global.ssl.fastly.net/files/reviews/carnival-cruise-lines_4101.JPG

Can you see if there is a cabin for 3 people that the carnival will let you move to-- at least gives you the third bed.

Edited by serene56