QUANTUM is EPIC FAILURE—2½ STARS!!!

gkbiiii

Although I gave it 2 stars in my review I think its far from a failure. Every issue I had on board (and I had a bunch) can be fixed. I think they rushed it into service but once they get the kinks ironed out it will be awesome.

I really wish I hadn't signed up for the Jan 11th sailing

George, we just spent 19 days on board and had an awesome time. Was it perfect, absolutely not. Did we let the little glitches and hiccups ruin our cruise, absolutely not.

I just know you will have a great time.

I read your review, how you could spend 20 days at sea, with Dynamic Dining and leave happy, is a mystery to me?? :confused:

Because we don't let the little things bother us and we don't board a ship with an attitude or look for things to go wrong so that we can be in line to complain and hopefully get something for nothing. A teaspoon of sugar goes a lot further than an ounce of vinegar.:D

After 54 cruises, DD was a refreshing change from the stagnate and boring menus on other RCI ships. We had great service and the food was wonderful. Each restaurant even let us create our own entree if we so desired.

I can not imagine a suite guest or Pinnacle member not having a great cruise on Quantum or Oasis class now that they have heavily incentivized this choice with all the perks now available on these two classes.

The addition of Coastal Kitchen is a tremendous value add for these guests.

Our family sailed with a group of GS's and an OS on Vision last year and while we certainly enjoyed the refurbished spacious staterooms, we were not really given any perk that compared to what Quantum now offers.

We even had the same Captain and we hardly saw him on Vision. On Quantum, he seemed to be everywhere.

But the menu never changes in ANY dinner dining menus throughout the voyage. This is really what I meant, weren't you board eating the same food; day after day, for nearly 20 days straight??

I found that having to go to a different dining venue each day, at a different time, in itself was tedious. That was for 8 days, I can't fathom it for 20 or 30+ days to China!!!

Patti, your one of the few Pinnacle or Diamond Plus quests I have met, who liked the voyage, Dynamic Dining, or staff service of the ship. It seemed to me, that Diamond & above, were the most critical of this vessel and the prospects of Dynamic dining fleet-wide. To me, it looked as though it was time, for this 42 year old, to seriously look at Holland America Line & Cunard!!!

Edited by gkbiiii

But the menu never changes in ANY dinner dining menus throughout the voyage. This is really what I meant, weren't you board eating the same food; day after day, for nearly 20 days straight??

I found that having to go to a different dining venue each day, at a different time, in itself was tedious. That was for 8 days, I can't fathom it for 20 or 30+ days to China!!!

Patti, your one of the few Pinnacle or Diamond Plus quests I have met, who liked the voyage, Dynamic Dining, or staff service of the ship. It seemed to me, that Diamond & above, were the most critical of this vessel and the prospects of Dynamic dining fleet-wide. To me, it looked as though it was time, for this 42 year old, to seriously look at Holland America Line & Cunard!!!

We ate dinner at Chic, Silk, American Icon, Grande, Coastal Kitchen and WJ during our 19 days on board. We ate breakfast at Coastal Kitchen each morning where the menu was the same, just like in the MDR on any RCI ship. We ate lunch at American Icon, JR's, Two70 and WJ. For us, that was more than enough places to chose from. We never got bored with any of the restaurants.

Even though the items at each restaurant are the same, there are several entrees to select from so you really aren't eating the same food every night. And, if we saw a meat selection but wanted to change what accompanied it, they had no problem making the change. If we wanted a salad that was not on the menu, they made one up for us. I wanted chicken noodle soup one night at American Icon and our waiter brought it too me. All you had to do was ask.

Our reservations were made back in May for 6:15. We are creatures of habit and like to eat at the same time every night!:D We were able to get the same waiter and table in each venue if we wanted to. There were days when service was a bit slower than others, but it really wasn't that terrible.

Was each cruise perfect, absolutely not, but then that's all part of the adventure!!:p I am sure that once Anthem is put into service, all the little hiccups and glitches will have been resolved.

We ate dinner at Chic, Silk, American Icon, Grande, Coastal Kitchen and WJ during our 19 days on board....

Our reservations were made back in May for 6:15. We are creatures of habit and like to eat at the same time every night!:D We were able to get the same waiter and table in each venue if we wanted to. There were days when service was a bit slower than others, but it really wasn't that terrible.

Hi Patti. I must've met you at some point in the CL :D

I had followed this thread from the beginning. If you go back to one of the first couple of pages (I think) I had posted a couple of times just not believing the drama of the OP.

Patti, Eeverything you said is 1 million % correct. You had 19 days of hardly any issues. I had 11 days of ZERO issues with Dynamic Dining. I changed several of my bookings throughout the cruise without a single issue. I got into any restaurant I wanted whenever I wanted. As a solo I asked for a group table in all 4 free venues American Icon, Silk, Chic and Grande and they were filled no problem and I met new friends! I met Merion-mom (Carol) and her travel partner Laura... I had dinner with them twice after cancelling my reservation at an earlier time to a more unusual later time for me... no problems. I ate at the Grande 4 times as it was so good. I tried 3 different entries and as several Pinnacles, including Merion mom and her friends who sat with us on day 10, the lamb shank that night was the best we had ever had on any previous ship MDR (it was my second time having the lamb shank). I enjoyed the escargot twice during the 11 days (in MDR there are many cruisers who order escargot all 7 days). I ate at Windjammer twice because I wanted to get to several events on a couple of evenings that I did not want to miss and a regular dinner would prevent me... the Windjammer dinners were also some of the best I've ever had on any ship.

All this fear mongering about how the menus don't work, it's boring, it's an utter failure did not occur at all for me. Just ask the many Pinnacles and D+'s in the CL who booked on board for another Q cruise before going to China or the Anthem for next year. What my problem is that I was not on the TA also I cannot fathom the amount of issues that were reported from the many experienced cruisers on that sailing. For them, and the OP, I truly feel badly for. All I can see is that maybe, just maybe, if they feel the courage to book on Q or Anthem again to the Caribbean instead using their OBC they received, I feel they will see a very positive experience, night & day compared to their TA.

Hi Patti. I must've met you at some point in the CL :D

Unfortunately, we didn't spend much time in the CL on the 12/1 cruise so I'm sorry that we missed you.:o

Yes, from friends that we know that were on the TA on Q it was a disaster and those that were booked have every right to complain. They were compensated nicely for all the glitches and hiccups. The 11/23 cruise was not without problems but it did get better on the 12/1 cruise.

Forming an opinion on a cruise, that was still a work in progress as they sailed over to Cape Liberty, is not completely fair. Things were not working as they should, but that doesn't mean that they won't be fixed for future cruises.

I will admit that with DD you either like it or not. We liked it and it was such a refreshing change for us. We found the food excellent in what "we" ordered on the nights that "we" visited each dining venue. Others might not have been so lucky. This could happen in any neighborhood restaurant in your hometown.

For those on the TA that are finding fault with the staff and crew and service, again that is not fair. Many of these folks have been with the ship since the start up and it was a much more difficult start up than had been on other ships because of the advanced technology that was involved.

Many directives were coming from Miami, and Miami was in Miami and not on the ship.:mad:

We who were on 11/2 Maiden Voyage cannot use our FCC on Quantum or Anthem, anyway there is no way on earth I am going to spend my savings on giving Quantum class another go in the hope they get it right next time.

There was not one single entree in any of the DD restaurants that I could eat.

I couldn't even get extra bread or a second dessert never mind asking them for something that wasn't on the menu.

Even asking for a glass of milk at dinner brought frowns from the waiters.

It is not the paid passengers fault that staff were not trained properly before the ship sailed, many of the staff only boarded the ship the same day we did.

Fair...heck that doesn't even come into it on our sailing.

I know of guests who got FCCs on sailings after ours and they did not endure even half of what some of us did on the 11/2 Maiden Voyage...is that fair...nope it is not.

I have watched 5 Royal Caribbean ships being built and sailed on them on their first voyages...either on pre-Inaugurals/Maiden/Inaugurals....with Quantum being my last one.

Never again a new build for me.

I have watched 5 Royal Caribbean ships being built and sailed on them on their first voyages...either on pre-Inaugurals/Maiden/Inaugurals....with Quantum being my last one.

This being our first Inaugural Cruise, and after reading all the pomp and circumstance that went with other Inaugural Cruises, namely Oasis, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that they ain't what they used to be.:(

This being our first Inaugural Cruise, and after reading all the pomp and circumstance that went with other Inaugural Cruises, namely Oasis, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that they ain't what they used to be.:(

When members were asking what happened on Oasis and Allure Inaugurals I said again and again that Royal had a different management team from what they had for OA & AL Inaugurals and we had no way of really knowing how things might work on Quantum.

Many of the new team came from Celebrity and Celebrity do things so differently on their Inaugurals.

On Reflection Inaugural (which incidentally Nick Weir was the CD on) the only time we knew it was an Inaugural was when the Captain said it in his noon message. That was it !

So I was not expecting anything all on the 11/2 Maiden Voyage but I think with all the problems we had they decided to give us a few gifts.

We didn't even have all the shows and the only activity was trivia, never seen Compasses with so many empty spaces on them.

I'd have no problems going on another maiden at the right price. Between the OBC and FCC it cut my cruise fare in half. Anything short of the ship sinking would not make any cruise a disaster for us.

I'm thinking that Edge class (will likely be a 3/4 scale Quantum) ship from Celebrity in 2018 is not coming fast enough.

We who were on 11/2 Maiden Voyage cannot use our FCC on Quantum or Anthem, anyway there is no way on earth I am going to spend my savings on giving Quantum class another go in the hope they get it right next time.

There was not one single entree in any of the DD restaurants that I could eat.

I couldn't even get extra bread or a second dessert never mind asking them for something that wasn't on the menu.

Even asking for a glass of milk at dinner brought frowns from the waiters.

It is not the paid passengers fault that staff were not trained properly before the ship sailed, many of the staff only boarded the ship the same day we did.

Fair...heck that doesn't even come into it on our sailing.

I know of guests who got FCCs on sailings after ours and they did not endure even half of what some of us did on the 11/2 Maiden Voyage...is that fair...nope it is not.

I agree with much you said, the costs of flights and European land arrangements really give me pause, as there was really nothing done. for this special event!!

Any common themes in the poor reviews, just a number has little meaning.

The problem is with the ship itself and this new/unwanted "freestyle dining concept--Dynamic Dining". The whole ship does not look or feel like a RCCL ship inside. Instead they leave out such things as Ben & Jerry's because they do not still make enough money. Yes this ship (much like the NCL Epic) is all about; Money, money, & more money, from the passengers at all times.

Much is lost by not having a grand centrum on these ships, as the back 360 lounge is just not a congenial/lively place, unlike the central atriums on most Royal ships. The tacky stands in the middle of the walkways hurts passenger flows and greatly interferes with the sad theatrical attempted productions.

Lets be clear: the Navigator, Freedom, & Oasis class vessels are MUCH better in nearly ALL respects, than this new vessel class!! Its sad that Royal does not make more classic vessels like the Radiance class!

Really the problem is that their is nothing/little grand and awe inspiring about Quantum. I remember spending two Transatlantic weeks in constant awe of the Adventure of the Seas; before having 7 nights of HELL with the Maiden voyage of the Epic.

I WANT ROYAL SHIPS, TO BE ROYAL!!!

Edited by gkbiiii

The problem is with the ship itself and this new/unwanted "freestyle dining concept--Dynamic Dining". The whole ship does not look or feel like a RCCL ship inside. Instead they leave out such things as Ben & Jerry's because they do not still make enough money. Yes this ship (much like the NCL Epic) is all about; Money, money, & more money, from the passengers at all times.

Much is lost by not having a grand centrum on these ships, as the back 360 lounge is just not a congenial/lively place, unlike the central atriums on most Royal ships. The tacky stands in the middle of the walkways hurts passenger flows and greatly interferes with the sad theatrical attempted productions.

Lets be clear: the Navigator, Freedom, & Oasis class vessels are MUCH better in nearly ALL respects, than this new vessel class!! Its sad that Royal does not make more classic vessels like the Radiance class!

Really the problem is that their is nothing/little grand and awe inspiring about Quantum. I remember spending two Transatlantic weeks in constant awe of the Adventure of the Seas; before having 7 nights of HELL with the Maiden voyage of the Epic.

This thread is nauseating. I feel bad for you and the rest of your cruise mates on that TA which obviously had many many issues.. truly unfortunate. I just came off of the 11 day and I had Z E R O ... yes ZERO issues about the ship. Dynamic Dining worked exactly.... yes EXACTLY... as I thought it would. It did not have a problem with reservations, making changes, showing up late, eating with others, cancelling and rebooking.... nothing, no problems at all on any of the 11 days

This ship is absolutely not a typical RCL ship. If you want to have an RCL vacation that you know and love then absolutely DO NOT book on Q, Anthem or Ovation. They are totally and absolutely different in almost all respects. I personally loved the change... the ship was gorgeous, the venues were beautiful, DD worked perfectly, the entertainment was first class top notch. Not a single venue felt like you were crowded. Two70 is an engineering marvel and way better than any Viking Crown. I feel guilty at having such a great experience compared to those on the TA and inaugurals.

So OP, you've been posting almost daily to bring this old thread to the top over and over and over again. We understand the TA was awful. Old news. Move on. Be happy that at least it seems that whatever issues you had seemed to be working out so RCL is trying to better the ship for future cruisers albeit too late for you.

Happy cruising to you no matter where you end up in the future.

This thread is nauseating. I feel bad for you and the rest of your cruise mates on that TA which obviously had many many issues.. truly unfortunate. I just came off of the 11 day and I had Z E R O ... yes ZERO issues about the ship. Dynamic Dining worked exactly.... yes EXACTLY... as I thought it would. It did not have a problem with reservations, making changes, showing up late, eating with others, cancelling and rebooking.... nothing, no problems at all on any of the 11 days

This ship is absolutely not a typical RCL ship. If you want to have an RCL vacation that you know and love then absolutely DO NOT book on Q, Anthem or Ovation. They are totally and absolutely different in almost all respects. I personally loved the change... the ship was gorgeous, the venues were beautiful, DD worked perfectly, the entertainment was first class top notch. Not a single venue felt like you were crowded. Two70 is an engineering marvel and way better than any Viking Crown. I feel guilty at having such a great experience compared to those on the TA and inaugurals.

So OP, you've been posting almost daily to bring this old thread to the top over and over and over again. We understand the TA was awful. Old news. Move on. Be happy that at least it seems that whatever issues you had seemed to be working out so RCL is trying to better the ship for future cruisers albeit too late for you.

Happy cruising to you no matter where you end up in the future.

Here here! I just came off the 11 night as well and had no issues with Quantum. Any issues I had were pretty much the run of the mill ones you could get on any ship. I also found the staff to be impeccable for the whole trip.

Quantum is a different product for a different market. Simple as.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So the issues are some passengers are stuck in the past.

If you want the OLD RCI stick to the older ships.

Sure RCI will be happy to embrace the existing and new customers with a vision of the future.

Dynamic just take anytime/mytime/freestyle a step further plenty of people hate traditional enough to seek out flexible dining I can see this improving reach into NCL pax base.

IME RCI is just as money grabbing as others, I get far better value on my speciality dining spends on NCL over the charges on OASIS a few weeks ago.

Once the sailings get past the loyal to royal book it because it's new sheep, the pax mix will move towards those that actually looked at what they are booking and want to enjoy.

On the list to try one of these new RCI ships looks like a very good fit for our preferences.

Next up NCL their little old Spirit.

QUANTUM is EPIC FAILURE—2½ STARS!!!

This is my 5th transatlantic cruise, out of 15 cruises and my second maiden transatlantic, from this route. This ship has many similarities with my maiden voyage with the NCL Epic (2-Star vessel/voyage). In short this ship is much more an NCL vessel than a ship within the RCCL fleet. This ship is a complete disgrace and not representative in any way, shape, or form; with any Royal vessel in existence.

Below is a list of key areas to consider, followed by a summary of my experience.

The ship seems cheaply built inside, while costing a staggering 6.5 billion Dollars. There is no similarity in the few public rooms, with any other spaces, throughout the fleet.

There is no Ben & Jerry’s (or any other) ice cream offered on the ship.

There is no central meeting place, as is there is no Centrum or true Royal Promenade, as seen on other RCCL vessels.

The technology aboard the ship is a complete failure, as are the many “enhancements”.

The Bionic Bar, is a complete failure, which many NEVER work, due to its design.

The drunken exploits, of the woman RCCL Vice-President, at the Bionic Bar; is a complete disgrace to RCCL, its passengers, & its employees!!!!

The bumper cars, have very limited hours, which are during dinner hours, odd???

All dining is not equal to the quality offered fleet-wide!!!!

There are significant room service surcharges, on items which are free on other RCCL ships.

The 3½-4 hour dinner at Wonderland, is excessive due to the poor service!

The service at The Grand, was the worst of the 4 free venues.

The Silk & Chic had the most mediocre meals onboard.

There are no items in the “Royal Cookbook” offered on this vessel.

The dining at “the Pub” is nothing impressive and should be free, for what is offered.

The drink prices aboard are outrageous!!!

The two hour boarding process is the second worst (1st being NCL Epic, Maiden Voyage) I have done and their new boarding process is pathetic!

The employees & managers are poorly trained and not well motivated.

My cabin attendant was the worst I have had, on any cruise: refusing to change sheets, then making my bed without sheets???

Very poor service throughout, dining had constantly the worst service I have experienced, on ANY RCCL ship and generally equal to that of, the NCL Epic.

The internet offered did not work and my never, due to its complexities.

Very boring crossing, with no lectures, cooking demonstrations, tier level tours: just noting but complete rest and boredom.

A 15% gratuity on a prepackaged 8 piece French Macaroons; let me to refuse the sail and never to return to the retail store again. The stupid manager, tried to argue that, “retail purchases, count as bar purchases, thus are subject to mandatory 15% gratuity”. What a load of crap!!!!

There is now WOW factor, other than corporate propaganda and lies told to the public. This ship is a complete betrayal of the proud history of the line and its loyal passengers!

Parts of the ship, such as the steel elevator deck are ugly as are the bizarre pictures in the elevators themselves.

The Purple Polar Bear does not belong on a RCCL vessel.

The Guest Services, Port Excursions, and Future Cruises rooms were the worst laid out spaces, I have seen, in all my time cruising!!!

The position of the outdoor TV screen is complexly misplaced and thus unusable.

There were NO onboard Ship-Wide Maiden Voyage Parties and the High Level Executives, were hidden from the passengers. NO grad buffets, dances, or anything based on this special occasion.

On a bright side, the cabins are the most, well designed on any Royal ship. The bathrooms are outstanding, as are the large flat screen TVs in the cabins.

I will never set forth on the Quantum/Epic again and am seriously reconsidering my loyalty to Royal. It was my first Diamond cruise and now I will start to explore other lines such as, Cunard & Holland America Line. These lines both respect tradition, but also serve to protect it, as well. They respect their loyal passengers and are not in the process of changing their line; to suit a younger land based, travel demographic. As such I am deeply concerned with the direction of the company and if I was a stockholder, I would sell my shares.

I feel cheated, as this is not the product that I purchased, 1½ years ago; when I put my deposit on what I thought, would be a true RCCL ship. We were lied to, as the 1150 Diamond/above who were on this ship: as this was not the experience we were promised (based on the lines past reputation/ships/onboard experience.) If I wanted to fly Southwest/Spirit I would fly them: if I wanted NCL and it’s “freestyle Cruising” and type of ships, I would book them. I sadly chose Royal and got someone else’s poor product in return.

We in essence paid to be on a training cruise, while others (travel agents on free cruises) continue to pretend that the ship, its staff, & operation, are acceptable??? The paid shills on this board, including those who submit fake reviews, should be shown for what they are.

This sad experience was nothing more than a 2½ Star experience at best: it is a sad departure, for a once truly innovative & promising Cruise Line!!!

Great Review. I sailed on the Quantum on the pre inaugural sailing and I would have to agree with you.

Having sailed 7 times on the freedom, and voyager class, the Quantum does not compare.

It does indeed look very cheap internally. Just doesn’t have the same WOW as the other classes of ships,

Even the Casino looked dull and boring.

I had a superior balcony cabin on deck 8, and it was most definitely the smallest balcony cabin I have ever had with Royal Caribbean.

No lights on the balcony (Yes you read that correct, there was no light on my balcony) it wasn’t that they forgot the bulb, there was no light or no switch),

And the cabin doors open out onto the corridor instead of opening in.

I do like the dynamic dining concept, but people were waiting outside for over an hour waiting to be seated if they hadn’t pre booked.

It is a nice ship, but the hype does not reflect the reality. It really does feel cheap, it was the first thing I noticed when I got onboard.

I certainly would not book the Quantum class over the voyager and freedom class given the choice. I think RCCL definitely made mistakes with this class of Ships.

And as stated before, all the gimmicks (internet, bionic bar etc). They just don’t work. RCCL has a lot of work to do.

If this ship is like NCL Epic then I can't wait !

So the issues are some passengers are stuck in the past.

If you want the OLD RCI stick to the older ships.

Sure RCI will be happy to embrace the existing and new customers with a vision of the future.

Dynamic just take anytime/mytime/freestyle a step further plenty of people hate traditional enough to seek out flexible dining I can see this improving reach into NCL pax base.

IME RCI is just as money grabbing as others, I get far better value on my speciality dining spends on NCL over the charges on OASIS a few weeks ago.

Once the sailings get past the loyal to royal book it because it's new sheep, the pax mix will move towards those that actually looked at what they are booking and want to enjoy.

On the list to try one of these new RCI ships looks like a very good fit for our preferences.

Next up NCL their little old Spirit.

Spot on !

Some people cannot accept change.