Fishing was great in Icy Strait Point!

trishs

We just got back from Alaska and had such a great time. Just thought I'd put out a few highlights.

Icy Straits Point: We fished for Salmon and caught 8 so we came in because it was more than we needed. We had it smoked and shipped back to Calif. it should be here on Monday. We went with Chris with Tokriver outfitters. tokriver.com He and his dad were great. We got to see whales, porpoise, dolphins that look just like killer whales, the whales in a feeding circle and others that were putting on quite a show. Chris was great with us, we didn't know what we were doing and it was a blast.

We did the float plane with Michelle Island Wings Ketchikan it was beautiful. She sure can fly.

We did the Juneau : Costal glacier helicopter this was such a highlight. Walking on the glacier and filling up our water bottle with glacier water, it was breath taking.

Hope everyone has fun. Trish

Trish:

Glad you had a great time on your trip. We are also flying with Michelle of Island Wings. That is one of the things I am most looking forward to. Was your flight two hours long?

Did you happen to hear any comments from anyone in Icy Strait who went on the brown bear search? We are signed up for it, although I know there is a possibility we won't see any bears.

Linda

Linda:

We just did the Bear Search in ISP last week. Didn't see a bear. We also did the flight plane trip to Anan and only saw one bear. I think we were just unlucky. Our guide in ISP said that she had had 7 tours the previous day and 3 before ours that morning and they all had seen bears. However, the cruise was great and the weather was fabulous--no rain at all!!! Last but not least, our glacier-dogsledding in Skagway did not get cancelled and we had a fabulous time. Have fun on your cruise.

RGF

Trishs... We will be in Icy Strait in a week and are taking the fishing tour. Would you mind telling me about how much it cost to have your fish smoked and sent? Was it an option to send the fish back to your ship? (What ship were you on?) We did that once on Princess but this time we are on Royal and not sure what their policy is.

Trish:

Glad you had a great time on your trip. We are also flying with Michelle of Island Wings. That is one of the things I am most looking forward to. Was your flight two hours long?

Did you happen to hear any comments from anyone in Icy Strait who went on the brown bear search? We are signed up for it, although I know there is a possibility we won't see any bears.

Linda

Our flight was about that maybe a hair shorter, but it wasn't rushed and it was just right. It was beautiful we landed on the lake. Michelle parks and we get out take another plane landed and sat on the lake for a few then took back off. Have her take your picture she does a great job. You will enjoy flying with here she is a smooth pilot. My dad is a pilot and she was great.

When we talked to the people that went on the bear tour in Icy Straits the 9:00 and 10:00 saw bears 11:00 didn't and 12:00 did. So it just depends.

Trish

Trishs... We will be in Icy Strait in a week and are taking the fishing tour. Would you mind telling me about how much it cost to have your fish smoked and sent? Was it an option to send the fish back to your ship? (What ship were you on?) We did that once on Princess but this time we are on Royal and not sure what their policy is.

Hi,

We were on the Summit we were not allowed to have the fish be brought back on board. I thinks their policy said no bring back to have chefs cook or be stored in their freezer. So we might have been able to bring to our room but not sure about storing in. (: We did our fishing with a private guide tolriver.com and after we fished we went by Buy and Pac, the price to smoke and ship is $3.50 per pound. They go and pick up the fish and do the rest.

If you are with the cruise ship I think they will ship it for you. If not you can take you fish to buy and Pac in Hoonnah. It was a lot of fun.

Trish

Hi,

Thanks for the info about the bears. I know it is just hit and miss! I was told by the tour operator up there, that there is a better chance if you go on the earlier tours, so we booked the 0730 tour. We shall see!

Thanks again,

Linda

Archived