Beach Near Port For After Excursion

Want2Cruise 701

Doesn't have to be the nicest beach. Just something for a few hours at most after our excursion. Anything within walking distance or a short cab ride?

Not interested in Grand Anse. Thanks.

Grand Anse is the closest. Any reason why you aren't interested in this particular beach?

Grand Anse is the closest. Any reason why you aren't interested in this particular beach?

Grand Anse seemed like a beach you make a day out of. For us, the water taxi would be $36. A lot to spend after an expensive excursion just to utilize a beach for less than 2 hours. With such short time in the afternoon, I didn't want to chance the local bus. Would prefer a beach to walk to.

If that's the closest beach, maybe we will just explore the carenage afterwards.

Thanks.

Grand Anse seemed like a beach you make a day out of. For us, the water taxi would be $36. A lot to spend after an expensive excursion just to utilize a beach for less than 2 hours. With such short time in the afternoon, I didn't want to chance the local bus. Would prefer a beach to walk to.

If that's the closest beach, maybe we will just explore the carenage afterwards.

Thanks.

Nothing to chance with the local bus. We rode them both ways to the beach. $1 per person each way. There is a bus terminal not more than a few hundred feet from where you come out of the ship terminal.

I would have your tour guide leave you at Grand Anse at the

Spice Market area (there are bathrooms). When done at the beach... walk back past the market up towards the main road. Again, a few hundred feet. The local buses are large mini-vans, they stop on their own looking for passengers (each one runs as an independent business).

You tell the guy (conductor) to the driver that you are heading back to the ship (he actually knows just by looking at you LOL) pay the dollar each and the ride should take about 15 min max. No need to worry about missing your stop as the bus terminal is the end of the line. Long before you arrive you will see the ship.

This was really easy and we felt totally safe. Enjoy your few hours at the beach, it's really lovely.

Oh, and for those that want to go to the beach by bus, it is number 1 Route. Well marked. Buses leave as soon as they are full.

Nothing to chance with the local bus. We rode them both ways to the beach. $1 per person each way. There is a bus terminal not more than a few hundred feet from where you come out of the ship terminal.

Spice Market area (there are bathrooms). When done at the beach... walk back past the market up towards the main road. Again, a few hundred feet. The local buses are large mini-vans, they stop on their own looking for passengers (each one runs as an independent business).

You tell the guy (conductor) to the driver that you are heading back to the ship (he actually knows just by looking at you LOL) pay the dollar each and the ride should take about 15 min max. No need to worry about missing your stop as the bus terminal is the end of the line. Long before you arrive you will see the ship.

This was really easy and we felt totally safe. Enjoy your few hours at the beach, it's really lovely.

Oh, and for those that want to go to the beach by bus, it is number 1 Route. Well marked. Buses leave as soon as they are full.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Great post :cool::D

Thanks so much....just printed the above to take with us. Great info! Now if I could just find similar public transportation information for our other ports, I would be overjoyed.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Great post :cool::D

I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks so much....just printed the above to take with us. Great info! Now if I could just find similar public transportation information for our other ports, I would be overjoyed.

As you leave the Cruise Terminal building, turn left and walk along the sidewalk towards the terminal, many taxi hawkers tried to recruit us, a simple 'no thanks, taking the bus' worked fine.

The Terminal looked a bit like a parking garage, lots of concrete and lots and lots of vans parked in a row. The number 1 route is at the front of the terminal (furthest left). The Van will have a number one on the dashboard. They will fill EVERY available seat, including the jump seats before the van will leave. If you can avoid sitting right be the door it is best as you will have to move each time someone else wants to get in our out. Make sure the conductor knows you want off at the spice market. Some of the vans play loud or funky music (loved it).

We will be doing the same thing in March when we head back. All the other cruisers seemed to be taking the water taxi but my DH and I take local buses whenever possible, not only for the cheap price but for the taste of local life.

Enjoy!

Would like to try the local bus to Gran Anse for a change as always use taxi's.

I know that route 1 terminates in Gran Anse but does anyone know where the main bus stop is?

Would like to try the local bus to Gran Anse for a change as always use taxi's.

I know that route 1 terminates in Gran Anse but does anyone know where the main bus stop is?

I thought I just explained that in post #7. Turn left as you head out of the cruise terminal. Really, you can't miss it.

I thought I just explained that in post #7. Turn left as you head out of the cruise terminal. Really, you can't miss it.

I understand where the main stop is in St George.

I was asking does anyone know where the main bus stop is in Grand Anse where the bus terminates?

I understand where the main stop is in St George.

I was asking does anyone know where the main bus stop is in Grand Anse where the bus terminates?

Ok, now I understand your question. Grand Anse is a long stretch of beach. I don't believe there is a 'main bus stop' there. Asking to get out at the Spice market has you getting off where the road is at its closest to the beach. Others have recommended going further to a beach bar called Umbrellas. We will likely try it on our next trip.

I believe the bus continues on towards the airport before heading back to St. George.

It is important to understand that this common system is still a bunch of guys who each work for themselves so buses can deviate slightly from the route if it is in the interest of the operator.

Edited by monicajay