Random custom inspection debarking 11/9 Gem

Diamond Girl

I was questioned after getting off the Gem two years ago regarding jewelry I purchased. I listed everything I purchased on that cruise. I had other jewelry with me which I did not say anything about since i brought it with me. The problem was I keep my jewelry in original boxes. They tore my luggage apart and "found" what I told them I had. I paid the duty but they gave me a really hard time about my other jewelry I had. We argued back and forth about the other jewelry in boxes and they finally stopped after a supervisor came out. I have a friend who was in charge of the ports in NY until he retired. He told me customs has the right to access all information regarding your on board purchases prior to disembarking.They are ready for you when you go thru and pull you right out. Nothing is random,if you buy jewelry on the ship declare it. They were convinced my other jewelry was purchased off the ship which they would have no knowledge of. They do profile people also and they will not answer anything you ask them, they will explain nothing. Terrible experience and it was not necessary to be treated so rudely and like a criminal.

And remember You can do everything right, be courteous and respectful and still get an agent who is having a bad day or is just downright nasty. Happened to my wife in Miami one time.

The agent ( a female) was completely out of line so much so that a couple of other agents ( male) were shaking their heads in disbelief in their counterparts actions and tone of voice. She did make my wife out to be some sort of criminal.

It wasn't a pleasant experience there's for sure!

...Terrible experience and it was not necessary to be treated so rudely and like a criminal.

And, there is the problem. At that point, you are attempting entry/re-entry into the United States. They do not know who the criminals are, but they know some people will play games, and some are not really citizens and have fake credentials, etc.

Most civil laws we take for granted are quite different at this point.

I can deal with this stuff way more than the lunacy that takes place with the TSA at airports.

Twice, not once, but twice it was me, DH and DS flew to bahamas for vacation and both times it was me who was randomly searched. I kinda felt special lol. It is what it is.

Years later flying I find out im TSA approved and get to go to the quick check in lines at the airport. When I asked how that happened I was told they pick random people and I was lucky. It sure makes those security lines a lot easier. You don't have to take shoes off take out your lap top its so much easier.

Edited by FootballParent

It's much worse when crossing the border to or from Canada in a car. Have had many friends where customs search involved taking every item out of their van including the van seats. Doing a total search of all items (luggage, coolers, camping gear, etc) and when nothing was found thanking them.

If you've ever packed up a car for a camping trip you know how long that can take. Imagine having to un-pack everything for customs inspections and then re-pack. Yes, it's a pain but I'd rather keep our boarders safe.

Here in Canada we get a TV program featuring border agents from Canada, New Zealand and Australia. There is not an episode that we have seen that does not feature someone trying to bring in fruit and/or vegetables that can not be imported and each and every time the individual has already signed a declaration that they don't have any and they continue to deny it no matter how many times they are given the opportunity to admit that they are trying to bring some in. Asking you 3 times may have seemed excessive but really they were just trying to give you as many opportunities as they could to comply, thus avoiding a fine in all likelihood.