Lamanai Ruins and Mangrove river cruise

YadaGirl

I read on the description of this Princess excursion that it is strenuous and has 880 yards of walking. Can anyone tell me if a person with limited walking ability can enjoy this excursion? Perhaps some of the walking is optional? Can you view the ruins from a distance?

On our trip we had elderly along with people using canes so it is possible to make the journey if you are able. The paths are uneven, dirt/mud if it recently rained and some areas have tree roots. The pace is enjoyable and you are not rushed to do any more than physically possible. The only devices what are not possible are strollers, wheel chairs or motor scooters. Look at it as a once in a lifetime and you will be glad you did. The ruins are in the jungle so it is not possible to see them from a far. The view of the main structure that people climb would be rather difficult as the steps are irregular even with the rope assist. You can enjoy the view from the base. The river cruise to the ruins is fun and the return is even better.

When you get to the main structure that people will climb there are benches in the shade, also the last structure before you depart there were some. The first place we stopped at was the longest distance for walking through the jungle and I do not remember any. I do know that there were people siting through out the tour. You will not be rushed.

Would this tour be appropriate for a four year old?

Just MO... NO! It's all day and some you're going all the time. Especially if its a hot day out.

If you think your 4 year old might enjoy seeing a Maya Ruin, look into a tour to Altun Ha. It's closer to Belize City, less time and the path from the parking lot isn't quite as bad as the one at Lamanai. Even that might be a too long of a trip by bus if your child tends to get fidgety, as many 4 year olds are prone to do.

We saw no crocodiles, but the howler monkeys were defending their territory from high up in the trees. Each time a new group of people disembarked and walked up to the first ruin, they started howling. Very eerie and definitely part of the ruins' appeal.

I think that bringing a collapsible seat that can be used as a walking stick would be a good idea for anyone with trouble on uneven paths and no wish to stand for a long time. I do not remember the benches and they were not located where our guide gave his first talk.

A four year old? To get to Belize City, there is already a long boat ride. I don't think my son would have enjoyed sitting down again in a bus and another boat at that age.

Altun Ha is closer. I think a taxi would be a better idea than a ship's tour. You can lengthen or shorten your visit to Altun Ha at your own leisure and your boy can run around without elderly passengers present.